Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Russia has invaded Ukraine

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Russia has invaded Ukraine

Old 05-12-2022, 16:50   #2206
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Russia has invaded Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
It's the classic political dilemma - which is at the heart of politcal dishonesty.

It would be politically honest for western governments to break off diplomatic relations with Russia. But then they'd be in tent/piss territory - potentially unable to call an ambassador in for the proverbial dressing down.

Which brings us back to Ireland and the government's obligations under the Vienna convention.

What you haven’t yet explored is exactly how the Irish government might meet its Convention obligations. I’m no expert on Irish law but I suspect they can’t compel private companies to restore whatever services or contracts they have withdrawn. This raises the possibility of the Irish army being tasked with delivering food parcels and gas bottles to the embassy gates. What do you think?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2022, 16:59   #2207
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
There’s no prioritisation indicated by any of my posts. Ireland has obligations and should continue to adhere to them. If your contention is that Russian citizens around the world should be inconvenienced and essentially penalised for the actions of the Russian state then that’s a very, very slippery slope.

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

The irony, given that was 99% of the content of your post.

As my initial post was Russian citizens are fair game, thanks for confirming it is your position. I doubt it will have the desired outcome at scale.
My contention is that Irish people can make their own decisions, something that Putin would deny his own citizens. You can make up other conversations if you wish.

---------- Post added at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What you haven’t yet explored is exactly how the Irish government might meet its Convention obligations. I’m no expert on Irish law but I suspect they can’t compel private companies to restore whatever services or contracts they have withdrawn. This raises the possibility of the Irish army being tasked with delivering food parcels and gas bottles to the embassy gates. What do you think?
I would not be surprised if some company would supply the Russians if they are paid well enough. Seems fair to me. Let the market decide

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Bit of an inconvenience, it’s true - probably not as inconvenient as the daily cruise missile attacks on Ukrainian infrastructure and civilians, though, killing and wounding many and leaving them with no heating, power, or water, or the crimes committed by Russian forces, including unlawful attacks, wilful killings of civilians, torture, and extrajudicial executions, but let’s get outraged by the fact that the Russian Embassy in Ireland isn’t getting it’s diesel (which was in fact in April, and has since been resolved, unlike the ongoing carnage in Ukraine…).
Our Ukrainian guest has had to return to Dnipro as her son (who is not allowed to leave) is unwell. When we talk to her, she is often in the dark, cold and with no water. It is currently -4C at the moment, going down to -8C overnight. We can hear the air raid sirens while we talk to her. Maybe I should ask her how she feels about the poor Russian people in Eire having possible problems if/when they need to interact with their Embassy. I am sure she would be very sympathetic.
Old 05-12-2022, 17:16   #2208
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Asking people emotionally involved rarely induces a rational response. For some examples feel free to review your own posts.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 17:26   #2209
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Asking people emotionally involved rarely induces a rational response. For some examples feel free to review your own posts.
I assume this is a reply to me? If not, please ignore. It was a serious question: you have a real concern about the impact of the Irish people's actions against the Russian embassy in Eire. How would you like me to represent your side of the debate to her?
Old 05-12-2022, 17:30   #2210
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I assume this is a reply to me? If not, please ignore. It was a serious question: you have a real concern about the impact of the Irish people's actions against the Russian embassy in Eire. How would you like me to represent your side of the debate to her?
In any way you please the answer will be of no value in any case. At best she sees the enemy as the Russian state and can disassociate it from the people, at worst she sees the Russian people as the enemy and fair game.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 17:31   #2211
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I agree with your analysis.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 17:36   #2212
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
In any way you please the answer will be of no value in any case. At best she sees the enemy as the Russian state and can disassociate it from the people, at worst she sees the Russian people as the enemy and fair game.
You are viewing this too simplistically. She speaks Russian as her primary language, she was born in Russia and her father is Russian. She is able to differentiate between the victims and the perpetrators.

Last edited by Paul; 05-12-2022 at 18:24. Reason: Last comment removed.
ianch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 18:23   #2213
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Enough of the petty insults against each other, be civil or leave the topic.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 21:41   #2214
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
There’s no prioritisation indicated by any of my posts. Ireland has obligations and should continue to adhere to them. If your contention is that Russian citizens around the world should be inconvenienced and essentially penalised for the actions of the Russian state then that’s a very, very slippery slope.
I can only surmise that they are over compensating for their inaction, or even tacit approval, of Nazi Germany.

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

Quote:
My contention is that Irish people can make their own decisions, something that Putin would deny his own citizens. You can make up other conversations if you wish.
Well they tried that, they voted against the EU on the Lisbon Treaty. But that wasn’t allowed so they were told to vote again, this time the right way. Sounds to me like something Putin would do?
Old 05-12-2022, 22:47   #2215
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Well they tried that, they voted against the EU on the Lisbon Treaty. But that wasn’t allowed so they were told to vote again, this time the right way. Sounds to me like something Putin would do?
Incorrect, as usual. However, from what I understand, this is not the thread to discuss Eire and the EU.
Old 05-12-2022, 23:28   #2216
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Incorrect, as usual. However, from what I understand, this is not the thread to discuss Eire and the EU.
It’s a parallel to your point and valid, also not incorrect.
Old 05-12-2022, 23:47   #2217
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

To lighten this thread here's something I bet you didn;t know came from Ukraine.

Quote:
For a long time, “Shchedryk” lived in Ukrainian folklore until a talented Ukrainian conductor Mykola Leontovych heard it and created a choral masterpiece. Now the song is known worldwide as "Carol of the Bells".
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:29   #2218
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Known worldwide
Cant say I have heard of it.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:26   #2219
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
It’s a parallel to your point and valid, also not incorrect.
If you can provide an example of a referendum in Russia that the citizens voted no to, the government took on board their concerns and presented revised proposals to I think you and Ian would be in agreement.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:21   #2220
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Known worldwide
Cant say I have heard of it.
It’s in the soundtracks of Home Alone and Harry Potter: The Prisoner of Azkaban, amongst others. In live performance it’s definitely a choral piece rather than something you’d try to get a congregation to sing, but it works very well in any Christmas film where you need a dramatic score. You’d probably recognise it if you heard it. That Youtube video is a news report with lots of talking over, so isn’t the clearest example. Try listening to this:

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote