Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 07-08-2019, 12:31   #3451
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A19 View Post
Hello,

I’m not sure if this belongs here, but I thought making a new thread would be unnecessary. I’ve had a Tivo 500GB box for a few years, and intend to upgrade to a V6 box. It’s always been my understanding that the customer rents the equipment from VM. Ideally I would like to keep the Tivo as I still have a number of programmes left to watch. I believe that by connecting both boxes to my router, I can watch shows stored on the Tivo on the V6?

I’m a bit confused, because I assume VM will ask for the Tivo box back, if I upgrade to the V6 as it is rented? And how does activating the V6 come into this - wouldn’t that deactivate the Tivo and render it useless? Assuming I can keep the Tivo to watch shows I have left over, would VM charge me extra per month? I’ve asked VM themselves in much simpler terms, and they didn’t have any answers, which was great...
As JB says.

I wouldn't call the VM boxes rented though you get them as part of the service.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:46   #3452
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Hi A19 and welcome to the forum.

There is no need to hang on to your Tivo as you can transfer your recorded programmes over to the new V6 box once it has been installed. (You do need a package with a connection speed of up to 50Mbps for a V6 box to work.)

As JD66 says, as you only have one box at the moment then having 2 boxes will increase the amount you pay. If you just swap out your Tivo for a V6 then it may be possible to negotiate any increase in the amount you pay.

I wasn't happy about the activation fee and managed to get the same amount credited to my account along with a couple of extra tweaks which gave me a nice reduction to my phone charges, being out of contract is useful, as is being ultra nice.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:50   #3453
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Hi A19 and welcome to the forum.

There is no need to hang on to your Tivo as you can transfer your recorded programmes over to the new V6 box once it has been installed. (You do need a package with a connection speed of up to 50Mbps for a V6 box to work.)

As JD66 says, as you only have one box at the moment then having 2 boxes will increase the amount you pay. If you just swap out your Tivo for a V6 then it may be possible to negotiate any increase in the amount you pay.

I wasn't happy about the activation fee and managed to get the same amount credited to my account along with a couple of extra tweaks which gave me a nice reduction to my phone charges, being out of contract is useful, as is being ultra nice.
Your internet also must be provided by VM to get a V6 i believe unless this has changed?
Old 07-08-2019, 13:01   #3454
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

As far as I was aware you can transfer series links from TiVo to V6 but not previous recordings.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/vir...to-another-box

Last edited by iadom; 07-08-2019 at 13:05.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 13:08   #3455
A19
Inactive

A19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, thanks for the helpful replies. My broadband is from VM (100Mbps), so I’m set in that respect. joglynne, I thought that programmes cannot be transferred, mainly due to licensing issues? I suppose I’ll see what they say when I call them about the £4 PM monthly increase.
A19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 13:12   #3456
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by A19 View Post
I thought that programmes cannot be transferred,.
That is correct.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 14:54   #3457
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Sorry about the duff advice A19. I was sure I transferred the recorded programmes but I guess that must have been on a V+ to Tivo swap.
Old 07-08-2019, 15:21   #3458
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Sorry about the duff advice A19. I was sure I transferred the recorded programmes but I guess that must have been on a V+ to Tivo swap.
No, that wasn’t possible either.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 16:27   #3459
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
No, that wasn’t possible either.
Well I know I did it at some point.

There are so many repeats I guess I was just lucky and my recordings were repeated when the series recording list was transferred. I certainly never had to use anything else and, as most of you who have helped me in the past may remember, I am somewhat of a timorous beastie when it comes to experimenting with anything at all techie. I still close my eyes tightly if I ever have to press the install button on anything and having to use the dratted black screen, Command Prompt? brings me out in a cold sweat.

Mods... sorry for veering off topic.
Old 17-08-2019, 13:57   #3460
toby
cf.member

Services: Samsung 49" 4K, Samsung 42" Plasma TV 720p, 2 x V6 boxes, 1 tivo box
toby is an unknown quantity at this point

My V6 box has suddenly started to reboot itself this morning which is very annoying. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, is there a fix or will I have to contact VM?
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 14:19   #3461
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
My V6 box has suddenly started to reboot itself this morning which is very annoying. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, is there a fix or will I have to contact VM?
Do you mean it has done it once or it keeps doing it? If it keeps doing it, call VM. For a one-off, see how it goes for a few days.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 15:08   #3462
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Sky Sports Racing EPG data is there a fault? as beyond Thursday next week there is no data.
Again!! ...The Sky Sports Racing EPG data is only going up to the start of Sunday when many other channels are up to 13 days ahead on the EPG.

Who is supposed to update the EPG data? so it is right up to date.
Old 07-09-2019, 18:04   #3463
neilo
cf.addict

Services: V6, 350mb Broadband, Phone
neilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to all

Well I have finally made peace with the ridiculously bright lights on the V6s and the Hub with some excellently applied black tape. I should have done that ages ago.
neilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 19:46   #3464
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo View Post
Well I have finally made peace with the ridiculously bright lights on the V6s and the Hub with some excellently applied black tape. I should have done that ages ago.
I could have let you have my sunglasses.
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 19:52   #3465
Derekb108
Wont Give into $ky!

Services: Virgin Media TV XL, 300mb Broadband.
Derekb108 will become famous soon enoughDerekb108 will become famous soon enoughDerekb108 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo View Post
Must have been your box the led are bright 🔆 I find them dull
Derekb108 is offline   Reply With Quote