Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What have you fixed lately?

Old 26-07-2016, 12:03   #496
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Solar rock light. Thought it might be the switch but it turned out to be the control chip, corroded leg. Fortunately I have a supply of a similar type to that fitted. Few moments work with the soldering iron and solder sucker got the old one out. Fitted new IC (QX5252) and now works again.
Advertisement
Old 26-07-2016, 12:07   #497
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

Hideous flaking paint on the front of the house. Cheapskate builder put a plywood panel under the bedroom bay window. The rest of the house is properly rendered but this was badly painted . One day Iwill pull off the fake Tudor beams and look under the bay window properly.
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 17:18   #498
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Garden shredder: Cutting knives were dull and not shredding properly. Replacement knives are not available as the unit has been out of production for some time

The small bolts holding them on were seized so I had to take off the knife carrier to be able to drill out the bolts (carefully to keep the threads in the carrier) Run a tap down the threads to clean them out. Then selected the best edge on the knives with least deep dings, they're double edged, and trued them up on my small sharpening station. Then honed them on the oil-stone until they cut paper.

Reassembled onto the carrier with new bolts and refitted to shredder. Works a treat now.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:51   #499
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Garden shredder: Cutting knives were dull and not shredding properly. Replacement knives are not available as the unit has been out of production for some time

The small bolts holding them on were seized so I had to take off the knife carrier to be able to drill out the bolts (carefully to keep the threads in the carrier) Run a tap down the threads to clean them out. Then selected the best edge on the knives with least deep dings, they're double edged, and trued them up on my small sharpening station. Then honed them on the oil-stone until they cut paper.

Reassembled onto the carrier with new bolts and refitted to shredder. Works a treat now.
Good job that man. Is it one of those impact shredders or the quieter crushing type? I have the latter and have noticed that the cutter adjustment is almost at its limit so am wondering if I'll be able to fix that when it ceases working properly. I bought it from Lidl years ago and can't imagine spares will be available.

Last edited by Osem; 07-08-2016 at 11:58.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:09   #500
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Good job that man. Is it one of those impact shredders or the quieter crushing type? I have the latter and have noticed that the cutter adjustment is almost at its limit so am wondering if I'll be able to fix that when it ceases working properly. I bought it from Lidl years ago and can't imaging spares will be available.
It has one moving part: The spinning disc knife carrier that is directly mounted on the motor shaft. The blades work against the bottom edges of the feed chute somewhat like a guillotine and it is VERY noisy especially when dealing with larger branches, it can handle up to 25mm, so I wear ear defenders.

Looks like this:

Mine looks a bit more "used".

$_86.JPG
Old 07-08-2016, 15:03   #501
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:
Solar rock light. Water had got into where the solar cell is and corroded away the connections. Fortunately I have a stock of higher power ones of roughly the same size so soldered in a new one and fixed it back with plenty of silicon sealant. Works a treat.

As time goes on I'll probably upgrade the rest of them as with the better cells and batteries they stay lit at full power all night.

I do this, the ones supplied are normally really cheap and low capacity, all my lights stay on all night now

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
The missus complained that the paper shredder was dead. A quick check found the teeth clogged and that was causing the thermal cutout to operate even before it started turning. Plug out, dismantled and unclogged. Now back in operation.
These are quite useful.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aurora-SP10.../dp/B006DX82SK
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 16:58   #502
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Cheers! Ordered immediately!

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Quote:
Garden shredder:
Mine has blown the third replacement starter capacitor. I can't remember enough motor theory to decide how to upgrade it. Like yours, mine is old and unsupported by the manufacturer.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 17:11   #503
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Mine has blown the third replacement starter capacitor. I can't remember enough motor theory to decide how to upgrade it. Like yours, mine is old and unsupported by the manufacturer.
So long as the capacitor is the same value and voltage rating anything should do the job.

The capacitor feeds a secondary winding on the motor and drives a current in approximate quadrature phase to the main winding. This creates the required rotating magnetic field that carries the rotor with it.

Smaller induction and "squirrel cage" motors create the same effect with several short circuit copper straps in the main laminate stack. See shaded pole motor.
Old 07-08-2016, 17:26   #504
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
So long as the capacitor is the same value and voltage rating anything should do the job.

I bought all 3 caps from different suppliers (and all look slightly different) copying the "original" cap specs. Perhaps the one that was in there was not the original and was under rated?
Old 07-08-2016, 17:44   #505
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
I bought all 3 caps from different suppliers (and all look slightly different) copying the "original" cap specs. Perhaps the one that was in there was not the original and was under rated?
How did they fail?
Old 07-08-2016, 18:06   #506
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
How did they fail?
Failed to rotate, after switch on after a short jam (1 or 2 secs before I hit the off switch).

No swelling of the cap as I would expect though. Motor shaft greased and easy to turn with no sticking.
Old 07-08-2016, 18:22   #507
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Failed to rotate, after switch on after a short jam (1 or 2 secs before I hit the off switch).

No swelling of the cap as I would expect though. Motor shaft greased and easy to turn with no sticking.
How strange. I've not known these to be an unreliable component. Our old Indesit washing machine had one in and was still going strong when I scrapped it.
Old 07-08-2016, 19:51   #508
Taf
cf.mega poster

I think it's the big back EMF that is damaging them. These 3 are the only big caps that I have seen fail in this way in over 40 years. They are RUN capacitors, and as such are quite large to get rid of the heat during operation.
Old 25-08-2016, 13:55   #509
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Couple more solar rock lights: First one, no battery charge, another old solar cell with corroded through connections. Fitted upgrade cell and sealed tight with silicon rubber.

Second one was suddenly not lasting very long and rather dull despite having had my upgrade. One of the (4) LEDs had failed and was pulling the whole thing down. Fitted a new LED and sealed the reflector back in place with more rubber.

Only two left now with the old solar cells. These only put out about 40ma whereas the new cells can deliver 150ma in strong sunlight.
Old 05-10-2016, 18:11   #510
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Double hung sash in the bathroom. Needed new putty where some had come loose, sanded down sashes and full repaint. Pugged* up slightly rotten sill, more filler and paint. All looks pretty good now.

Need to do the same on the computer room window tomorrow.

* Pug is a dialect term for pounded clay down here but is used nowadays for filler in cars and decorating.