Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What have you fixed lately?

Old 16-01-2016, 12:19   #406
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I'm learning some useful motoring stuff here. Wonder how many 'breakdowns' have been caused by stuff as simple as this?
To be honest most cars are pretty much idiot resistant by now. For example some cars will prime their fuel systems when the car is unlocked by the remote, so its ready to go even before the driver is.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2016, 15:02   #407
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Fixed our Roxyl 5.5.
Freed and trim issues.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 18:23   #408
rhyds
Inactive

rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Today's (temporary) fix was to the Focus' rear silencer. Somehow it had rotted away at the top, but a good dose of gun gum repair paste seems to have quietened it down. It'll keep until I can get around to getting a new part fitted.

Unfortunately though yesterday the windscreen decided to crack, I'm assuming due to the cold weather and the thermal shock of me using the heated windscreen feature.
Old 16-01-2016, 18:28   #409
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
Today's (temporary) fix was to the Focus' rear silencer. Somehow it had rotted away at the top, but a good dose of gun gum repair paste seems to have quietened it down. It'll keep until I can get around to getting a new part fitted.

Unfortunately though yesterday the windscreen decided to crack, I'm assuming due to the cold weather and the thermal shock of me using the heated windscreen feature.
Unfortunately with a modern car the screen is now a structural part of the vehicle and needs to be replaced properly to maintain the crash integrity of the car.
Old 16-01-2016, 18:32   #410
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Unfortunately with a modern car the screen is now a structural part of the vehicle and needs to be replaced properly to maintain the crash integrity of the car.
I'd hate to think how much some of these fancy panoramic screens cost to replace.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 18:42   #411
rhyds
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
To be honest its not a big issue (£75 excess and finding time to sort it). Even if it was a metro style screen held in with a seal I'd still get it done by pros. Me and a mate tried to get the screen out of a Rover 45 once (a bonded in unit as you mentioned). It took the best part of an hour and we still managed to chip the edge. Once it was reinstalled it cracked within a very short time.

I just hope the insurance don't get sniffy about it being a heated screen unit and expect me to pay extra.

---------- Post added at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

Quote:
I'd hate to think how much some of these fancy panoramic screens cost to replace.
I remember hearing once that one of the big Vauxhall panormaic jobs could cost over £1000 to replace.
Old 18-01-2016, 22:14   #412
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

One of the stride rails of Osem Jnr # 2's cross trainer. He's a big lad and likes to 'ride' on one side only so a spot weld on the crank failed due to the excess weight. Luckily I was able to fix this using epoxy resin without disassembling the damned thing. If the fix doesn't last I'll drill the end of the crank shaft and insert a bolt which should prevent it coming loose again.
Old 19-01-2016, 12:29   #413
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
To be honest its not a big issue (£75 excess and finding time to sort it). Even if it was a metro style screen held in with a seal I'd still get it done by pros. Me and a mate tried to get the screen out of a Rover 45 once (a bonded in unit as you mentioned). It took the best part of an hour and we still managed to chip the edge. Once it was reinstalled it cracked within a very short time.

I just hope the insurance don't get sniffy about it being a heated screen unit and expect me to pay extra.

---------- Post added at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

I remember hearing once that one of the big Vauxhall panormaic jobs could cost over £1000 to replace.
If it's Autoglass doing the repair/replacement then watch them like a hawk.

My tale of woe with them

Dec 15th 2015 Screen got hit whilst driving down the M1 when I got to the hotel I phoned them and arranged for a replacement and said that it needed to be genuine BMW trims and screen used or they wouldn't fit and they would crease. Was advised by their advisor that this wasn't true (Despite me speaking to a friend who is a supercar dealer/mechanic)

Dec 18th - Autoglass come out and do the more horrific job trims not fitted correctly, trims creased at top. Sent them photos of the evidence they agreed to replace with genuine parts but next appt not available until the 26th December

26th Dec - Autoglass turn up geniuine BMW glass but with no rain sensor (first screen had rain sensor fitted as requred) and not BMW trims. Rebooked again

5th Jan - appt booked between 08:00 - 13:00 no one turned up, phoned twice to be told engineer was running late. on the third call was told glass damaged in transit. At this point I lost my temper. Rebooked again for appox. 10th January

10th - Technician turned up, with correct parts fitted windscreen correctly and trims however disconnected power and then airbag warning light came on due to power being disconnected technician denies all knowledge of this

Complained to Autoglass who agreed to refund the £75 excess. Then cost a further £30 to get the Airbag warning light cleared.

be very very careful with autoglass !!!
Old 19-01-2016, 15:41   #414
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

Project 1 - Un blocked the u bend in the bathroom, god only knows how that much hair gets down there so quickly....

Project 2 - Replaced the scungy dripping tap in the kitchen with a nice new one from Aldi of all places. Came complete with flexies washers and was much easier to fit than the old style tap I ripped out. Less than an hour
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 07:41   #415
rhyds
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
If it's Autoglass doing the repair/replacement then watch them like a hawk.

My tale of woe with them

Dec 15th 2015 Screen got hit whilst driving down the M1 when I got to the hotel I phoned them and arranged for a replacement and said that it needed to be genuine BMW trims and screen used or they wouldn't fit and they would crease. Was advised by their advisor that this wasn't true (Despite me speaking to a friend who is a supercar dealer/mechanic)

Dec 18th - Autoglass come out and do the more horrific job trims not fitted correctly, trims creased at top. Sent them photos of the evidence they agreed to replace with genuine parts but next appt not available until the 26th December

26th Dec - Autoglass turn up geniuine BMW glass but with no rain sensor (first screen had rain sensor fitted as requred) and not BMW trims. Rebooked again

5th Jan - appt booked between 08:00 - 13:00 no one turned up, phoned twice to be told engineer was running late. on the third call was told glass damaged in transit. At this point I lost my temper. Rebooked again for appox. 10th January

10th - Technician turned up, with correct parts fitted windscreen correctly and trims however disconnected power and then airbag warning light came on due to power being disconnected technician denies all knowledge of this

Complained to Autoglass who agreed to refund the £75 excess. Then cost a further £30 to get the Airbag warning light cleared.

be very very careful with autoglass !!!
I'm not sure who my current insurers use, but my previous windscreen swap was done by a smaller local outfit and not autoglass/auto windscreens to a good standard. Hopefully my current insurers will use the same firm.

I'll also be making sure they bring a heated screen and not a plain one!
Old 20-01-2016, 09:16   #416
tweedle
Permanently Banned

tweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the rough

<removed>
tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 12:09   #417
Osem
Inactive

Our washing machine. We woke to hear bleeping and found the washing machine wasn't draining and was full of dirty water. After using the emergency drain, inspecting the pump housing and impeller revealed the problem - one of the bathroom mats had shed tons of its latex backing and this was clogging everything up from the water outlet in the drum to the impeller. A lot of fiddling around with some 2.5mm copper wire allowed me to clear the small hose from the drum and of all the accumulated gunk then repeated rinse/drain cycles cleared the rest. It's purring now and so am I. Phew!

I'd woken up a bit fed up this morning but my little DIY challenge has taken my mind off all that and now the sun's out I'm going to sow some tomato seeds in my heated seed tray.
Old 18-02-2016, 12:17   #418
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Our washing machine. We woke to hear bleeping and found the washing machine wasn't draining and was full of dirty water. After using the emergency drain, inspecting the pump housing and impeller revealed the problem - one of the bathroom mats had shed tons of its latex backing and this was clogging everything up from the water outlet in the drum to the impeller. A lot of fiddling around with some 2.5mm copper wire allowed me to clear the small hose from the drum and of all the accumulated gunk then repeated rinse/drain cycles cleared the rest. It's purring now and so am I. Phew!

I'd woken up a bit fed up this morning but my little DIY challenge has taken my mind off all that and now the sun's out I'm going to sow some tomato seeds in my heated seed tray.
It is recommended never to run a washing machine or tumble drier when you're sleeping.
Old 18-02-2016, 13:32   #419
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
It is recommended never to run a washing machine or tumble drier when you're sleeping.
Yes I know but we've been doing it for over 25 years without any problems and have numerous smoke detectors to alert us. We set the machine to come on about 6.00am so that it's finished when we 're up and ready. If anything goes wrong I'll very soon know about it.
Old 18-02-2016, 14:15   #420
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
To be honest, if one goes boom, sleeping or not, there's not a lot you can do about it. Making sure you have smoke alarms fitted and working is the best policy.

Besides, my washing machine has a night mode, where you can postpone the main spin until the morning and runs quieter too so the manufacture not only knows that these devices are run at night but some have a special mode for it!
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote