Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | all wireless channels slow

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

all wireless channels slow

Old 24-02-2013, 18:02   #1
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age
all wireless channels slow

Have a BT Hub 3, been always working perfectly on Channels 8 and 10, I've usually always had it on 10 as it gives the best performance.

Now under Actual data transfer speed it is 11Mbps and the other channels are the same, all slow. Some say Actual data transfer speed 78Mbps etc but the actual speed they give off is very poor.

Tried checking through wired and its fine, everytime I reboot the router it works fine for a couple of minutes about 30 minutes then goes very slow again.

Checked all channels they are all slow, is there any reason for this?

Everyone around me is using either 1, 6 or 11, mostly 11. Only started happening 3 days ago, its so poor that im using my 3UK Sim card through internet sharing as that's the only way I can properly use the internet. Waiting 10-20 seconds for google to open isn't nice.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-02-2013, 08:22   #2
MJPS
Inactive

Services: VM 30Meg
MJPS is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: all wireless channels slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Have a BT Hub 3, been always working perfectly on Channels 8 and 10, I've usually always had it on 10 as it gives the best performance.

Now under Actual data transfer speed it is 11Mbps and the other channels are the same, all slow. Some say Actual data transfer speed 78Mbps etc but the actual speed they give off is very poor.

Tried checking through wired and its fine, everytime I reboot the router it works fine for a couple of minutes about 30 minutes then goes very slow again.

Checked all channels they are all slow, is there any reason for this?

Everyone around me is using either 1, 6 or 11, mostly 11. Only started happening 3 days ago, its so poor that im using my 3UK Sim card through internet sharing as that's the only way I can properly use the internet. Waiting 10-20 seconds for google to open isn't nice.
Hi Zee
I found metageek vey informative about this sort of thing.
MJPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 16:32   #3
Trillion11
Inactive

Trillion11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have my wifi network on channel 7 as it doesn't tend to be used as a standard by big providers.Have you tried/tested your connection on any other devices? Have you tried updating you wireless card/adapter drivers?
Trillion11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 00:18   #4
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

I tend to favour 13, unlucky for some, but so long as all kit is, or is set to, proper EU spec, it can do 13. Mind you, the low channels, for me, are unusable - probably Videosender etc., which Wifi tracers using consumer Wifi adpters and/or free software cannot detect.

Stupid arrangement though as the channel is actually 4 wide, so the only true clear to clear is EU spec 1, 5, 9, 13 (allowing 4x 20Mhz channels, or 2x 40MHz wide N150).
Compromise US spec: 1, 4, 7, 11 - with a minimum spacing of 3, so with slight adjacent channel splatter.
The common 3 channel default of 1, 6, 11 is just a bad idea, getting in the way of both better alternatives.

Also, setting the router to enable RDG (Reverse Direction Grant) seems to help, allowing the PC to ACK while the channel still belongs to the router, making the turn around more efficient and less likely to be blocked by other signals.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote