Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | dLAN Ethernet Highspeed 85 speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

dLAN Ethernet Highspeed 85 speeds

Old 15-02-2013, 14:03   #1
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Question dLAN Ethernet Highspeed 85 speeds

I am on 30Mbs tier.

I get 31Mbs directly connected Ethernet from my Super Hub.

I have been trying a pair of dLAN Ethernet HIGHSPEED 85 power line adaptors and I was only getting 13Mbs, so I tried plugging them into a dual mains socket to discount the ring mains cabling but I got 14Mbs.

Looking at the spec they should handle my 30Mbs ok.

Any comments please?
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-02-2013, 09:16   #2
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: dLAN Ethernet Highspeed 85 speeds

Ken

I've got the dLAN 200 which easily delivers my 100 meg broadband throughout the house. As you say, the 85s should handle your 30 meg with ease. What's more, they should be plug and go. AFAIK there are no settings in the Cockpit that cn affect speed.

Despite what some peops say, plugging them directly into the mains as distinct from an extension block is a must.

What happens if you put the SH into modem mode, add your old router and then onto the dLANs?

Also what does the Devolo cockpit report as the sync speed?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 11:19   #3
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Ken

I've got the dLAN 200 which easily delivers my 100 meg broadband throughout the house. As you say, the 85s should handle your 30 meg with ease. What's more, they should be plug and go. AFAIK there are no settings in the Cockpit that cn affect speed.

Despite what some peops say, plugging them directly into the mains as distinct from an extension block is a must.

What happens if you put the SH into modem mode, add your old router and then onto the dLANs?

Also what does the Devolo cockpit report as the sync speed?
Sephiroth,

Both Delvolo adaptors directly pluged into the wall sockets.

Delvolo syc say 85Mb.

I will try putting the SH into modem mode latter.
Old 19-02-2013, 12:44   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

My experience of Powerline adaptors is they only approach the full bandwidth advertised under VERY IDEAL conditions!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 12:51   #5
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
Sephiroth,

Both Delvolo adaptors directly pluged into the wall sockets.

Delvolo syc say 85Mb.

I will try putting the SH into modem mode latter.
Sephiroth,

I have put the SH into modem mode and connected my router and I now get 15.63 Mb via the Delvolo adaptors, a improvement of 3 Mb.

With my PC connected to my router by ethernet I get 31.63 Mb so my router can handle 30Mb.
The ethernet cables that I am using are CAT 5e.
It can only be my Delvolo adaptors or my ethernet cables to the delvolo adapters.

I will get a couple of ethenet cables and try them to see if that makes any inprovement.
Old 19-02-2013, 15:05   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

you need faster homeplugs, i find they usually only give 25%, my 200s only give me 50
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 18:54   #7
Ken W
cf.mega poster

I am sure that you are corrrect.
Old 19-02-2013, 19:12   #8
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
you need faster homeplugs, i find they usually only give 25%, my 200s only give me 50
Are yours Devolo, JB?

Old 19-02-2013, 19:17   #9
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Actual speeds on Homeplugs are considerably lower than rated speeds:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...-adapters.html

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...ug-speeds.html

85Mbps will get you a realistic throughput of 15-20Mbps.
Old 19-02-2013, 19:51   #10
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

yeah devolo seph
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 18:19   #11
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

I have read somewhere that an anti-surge mains ext lead plugged in anywhere on a ring main can seriously affect the speed.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 18:33   #12
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Not in my system. No problems whatsover. It's the converse that applies, as you know (plugging a HomePlug into an anti-surge block).

Old 21-02-2013, 15:10   #13
j52c
Inactive

j52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant future

This is something I have been looking into so That I can connect my Smart TV using ethernet, the tv is downstairs and is currently connected by wireless.

I have a Smart Meter supplied by my elec and gas supplier and I wonder if the Homeplug adapters could affect the meter in any way., such as an increase in electricity usage when data flows down the wiring.
j52c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 17:21   #14
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

The Homeplugs consume electricity for the leds and circuitry and to push modulated data over the wire. The rating of the Homeplug is written on the device and that will be the maximum amount of power consumed. When no data is going, there will be occasional Sync traffic.