Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Want ADSL?-Read on....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Want ADSL?-Read on....

Old 10-02-2004, 23:23   #196
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Let's be honest & realistic here-.......
the only way to get customers to take their inferior phone line, is to force it upon people.
and how are all NTL lines inferior to all BT lines ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2004, 23:31   #197
tkiely
Inactive

tkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to tkiely

Quote:
Originally Posted by pem
On my experience of two weeks,

CLI
on-line billing info
on-line service changes that happen almost immediately

oh and they sound better and are cheaper and mean you dont have to deal with ntl
tkiely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 23:32   #198
tkiely
Inactive

tkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to tkiely

ok so i got carried away, they sound the same but the rest is true
tkiely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 19:34   #199
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pem
on line account management including friends and family changing

caller display

ability to sign up to a cheap 3rd party such as talktalk for cheapo calls
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:18   #200
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I dont blame neil for saying ntl was ok when he had it cheap, money talks and when you pay less for a service then what you expect of it drops.

All the people defending ntl still havent mentioned how poor value the analogue service is, that hussein guy still in charge who obviously has no clue how the internet works, the fact they have traffic limits in their AUP which they can start enforcing any time they like and when they do start enforcing them believe me ntl certianly will be no comparison to bt.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:30   #201
carlingman
Inactive

carlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appeal
carlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
I dont blame neil for saying ntl was ok when he had it cheap, money talks and when you pay less for a service then what you expect of it drops.

All the people defending ntl still havent mentioned how poor value the analogue service is, that hussein guy still in charge who obviously has no clue how the internet works, the fact they have traffic limits in their AUP which they can start enforcing any time they like and when they do start enforcing them believe me ntl certianly will be no comparison to bt.
Cough I think you will find Neil was hacked off with NTLs services and moved to a provider he didnt mind paying for that offered a reliable service.

I believe Hussein is still in charge but from day one as you say he never had a clue and was somewhat carried along.

Similar story goes with Ash and co who were carried along by Frank.

The main problem with NTL is the rot starts at the top.

carlingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2004, 14:21   #202
mdean
Inactive

Services: NTL BB TV phone freeview and Sky TV(not subscribed) supporter of http://logofreetv.org/
mdean is on a distinguished roadmdean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianathuth
You have to have used Sky+ for a couple of days to realise the potential of it and then you wouldn't be without it. It only costs £200 to have it and get it installed which isn't that much when you consider what most people spend on Audio Visual equipment. It is so easy to use and recordings are of the same standard as the original broadcast signal due to the way the signal is stored and replayed. With features like dual recording, live pause and instant rewing you have plenty of control and can even decide to record a programme that you are watching up to an hour after it has started and the recording is the whole programme from the start. What other system allows you to do that? Sky+ isn't just about recording though, it completely alters the way you watch TV and when you watch it. The other advantage of having Sky+ is that the mirror subscription for my second box only costs £10, unlike a second box with NTL that costs £15.
mmmmm- not sure how $ky+ will change the way you watch tv. Sit down- look at screen - thats it

You have ignored the mainpoint. Yes hard disk, pause live tv etc is very nice- but why pick the version which only works with $ky ?

Say in 2 years $ky lose the key contract (footy film simpson etc ) which make you want to pay them - you unsubscribe - and have a £200 doorstop+ or keep paying them even though their offer may not be what you want.

I believe open source versions will work with Ntl or indeed motorised sat, providing many more options, probably based on your pc
mdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2004, 14:42   #203
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DrAwesome Send a message via MSN to DrAwesome
Smile Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdean
mmmmm- not sure how $ky+ will change the way you watch tv. Sit down- look at screen - thats it
you missed the obvous you can fast forward through the adverts after you have copied a tv programme.

also

If you have missed something on a tv programme you are watching you can rewind a programme back upto 1hr watch the part you missed then fast forward to the part where you rewinded from & sky+ always tells you just how far you are from to catch up (which is usually while the adverts are running)

I will have to rewind these posts in this thread to find out how the h3ll this thread got from Want ADSL?-Read on.... to the topic of sky+
DrAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2004, 16:13   #204
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:

You have ignored the mainpoint. Yes hard disk, pause live tv etc is very nice- but why pick the version which only works with $ky ?

Say in 2 years $ky lose the key contract (footy film simpson etc ) which make you want to pay them - you unsubscribe - and have a £200 doorstop+ or keep paying them even though their offer may not be what you want.

I believe open source versions will work with Ntl or indeed motorised sat, providing many more options, probably based on your pc
Can anyone in their right mind see anyone else getting "key" contracts and putting them on a channel that Sky does not carry?

One way that Sky+ alters the way that you watch TV is that you can set a programme such as a Formula One race to record because you cannot get to watch it live as you are arriving home ten minutes after it is due to start. Using conventional recorders you would have to wait until the race ended before being able to watch it from the start. With Sky+ you can immediately watch it from the start in its entirety, rewind it if there is some action you want to see replayed and then continue watching to the end skipping advertising breaks at 30X normal speed whilst being able to see a picture instead of noise bars.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2004, 11:22   #205
mdean
Inactive

Services: NTL BB TV phone freeview and Sky TV(not subscribed) supporter of http://logofreetv.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianathuth
Can anyone in their right mind see anyone else getting "key" contracts and putting them on a channel that Sky does not carry?

One way that Sky+ alters the way that you watch TV is that you can set a programme such as a Formula One race to record because you cannot get to watch it live as you are arriving home ten minutes after it is due to start. Using conventional recorders you would have to wait until the race ended before being able to watch it from the start. With Sky+ you can immediately watch it from the start in its entirety, rewind it if there is some action you want to see replayed and then continue watching to the end skipping advertising breaks at 30X normal speed whilst being able to see a picture instead of noise bars.
That may well be an advantage --- and other systems either in a silver box under your telly, or by configuring your PC and connecting it to your telly, will or can do the same. But will do it with any system whatever happens to TV in the future. The $ky+ box will only do what Ruperts little lad tells it to do- If the best subscription option is not sky you will be stuffed- with $ky + or any other platform specific system- do ya get my point now ?
Old 15-02-2004, 12:16   #206
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

Quote:
That may well be an advantage --- and other systems either in a silver box under your telly, or by configuring your PC and connecting it to your telly, will or can do the same. But will do it with any system whatever happens to TV in the future. The $ky+ box will only do what Ruperts little lad tells it to do- If the best subscription option is not sky you will be stuffed- with $ky + or any other platform specific system- do ya get my point now ?
I think you'll struggle to find a box that will match the sky + dual recording feature - I cant see anything coming out that will match that on satellite.

it requires to feeds from the dish - something sky have to install.

Quote:
If the best subscription option is not sky you will be stuffed- with $ky + or any other platform specific system- do ya get my point now
the only alternative subscription service is NTL - when a box comes out for NTL's service, if it has the SKY plus dual record features, it will also be useless on other platforms.

when you get sky + you have 30 days to try it and you can cancel and get a full refund - I suggest you try it for 30 days and then tell us what you think.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2004, 20:13   #207
mdean
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
I think you'll struggle to find a box that will match the sky + dual recording feature - I cant see anything coming out that will match that on satellite.

it requires to feeds from the dish - something sky have to install.

the only alternative subscription service is NTL - when a box comes out for NTL's service, if it has the SKY plus dual record features, it will also be useless on other platforms.

when you get sky + you have 30 days to try it and you can cancel and get a full refund - I suggest you try it for 30 days and then tell us what you think.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think I have proved my inital point that it is agreed sky beats ntl- it clearly does not in digital areas.

As to $ky + I can't understand how its worth it. But yer pays yer money ......
Old 23-02-2004, 04:37   #208
DbzDP
Inactive

DbzDP is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info on Pipex,Nildram and Zen I might get one of them Nildram and Zen look really good. NTL has ****ed me off in the last few days, I think they upgraded my bill to 600k and my modem is still on 150k after i restarted soo many times.
DbzDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2004, 04:50   #209
DbzDP
Inactive

DbzDP is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I am also going to go for Pipex, main reaosn been For like £17.57, it gives you a modem, 2 micro-filters, and activation fee, thats all about £130 with NTL i only paid abotu £30 for the guy to come and install the cable in my room. They had installed the NTL cable into the building I live in, so i got BT no need to transfer my telephone company. lol. Thanks for the advice
DbzDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 18:33   #210
DeadKenny
Inactive

Services: PlusNet 2Mbps Premier. BT. Sky Digital. TiVo.
DeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enough

Posted this in this thread, but that was a bit off topic, so I'll post it here instead ...

Basically to summarise, I'm thinking of kicking NTL out the window and going with ASDL. Currently have NTL phone and Cable Modem. A few questions though...

In regards to porting the number, would I get a number initially from BT, then if the line is installed okay, I tell NTL I want to cancel and tell BT I want to port the number?

Slightly worrying though the mention that some numbers are not 'portable'. Any way of finding out if your number is one of those? I don't really want to lose the number at the moment (though I could resort to paying both NTL and BT line rentals and use BT just for ADSL. I could still probably get ADSL cheap enough to make it equivalent to what I'm paying at the moment).

The main issue though is finding an ADSL provider that don't have transparent proxies, don't block any ports, allow you to run servers without restriction (email and web especially), don't have a download cap, don't use a premium-rate support line, and don't make you wait 40 minutes and cut you off when you do call support.

I've had PlusNet recommended to me... 2Mbps for £39 a month, 1Mbps for £29.99 a month. NTL... wake up and smell the real world

I'll also need to get a plain Ethernet ADSL modem (no need for a router as I've got one), but I've got my eye on one that's fairly cheap.

The possible screw up on all of this is BT saying my line is too crap for ADSL. At least if they say I can only have 512kbps I will get 256kbps upstream which is mainly what I want.
DeadKenny is offline   Reply With Quote