Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mobile companies and offshored call centres

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

Mobile companies and offshored call centres

Old 16-05-2023, 11:03   #1
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
Mobile companies and offshored call centres

I am a customer of Plusnet Mobile and have been aware that Plusnet will soon disappear and be subsumed into the EE brand - BT residential I think will follow soon after. Therefore, all customers of Plusnet will become customers of EE.

I called up Plusnet Mobile yesterday and got a message saying that Plusnet Mobile is no longer available to new customers and when I asked for more information I was told that I would soon receive a communication telling me that Plusnet Mobile would be switched off and in order to continue to receive services I would have to become a customer of EE.

EE is much bigger that Plusnet mobile so it is likely to use lots of call centres in different locations so I am wondering if EE uses offshored call centres.

I am also thinking about moving to another provider as I don't really want to be an EE customer, and probably pay more than Plusnet Mobile charges me as I don't use the internet on my mobile handset. Therefore, with EE I am likely to have to pay for data which I would never use.

All of this means that I am considering going to a new provider who will offer me a rolling 30-day contract consisting of just calls and texts but I won't go with a company that offshores its customer service. Among the providers I am considering are Tesco Mobile, Sky and GiffGaff but there may be others who also provide what I need whose entire customer service is based in the UK so any suggestions/thoughts would be much appreciated.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-05-2023, 11:51   #2
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Mobile companies and offshored call centres

1p mobile may be a contender. Although they do use EE their customer service is UK based and if you just want to phone and text their Talker Sim gives you unlimited calls and texts with 250mg data at a cost of £36 for a whole year.

https://www.1pmobile.com/1year-calls-texts-data-SIM.taf

Review. https://www.simsherpa.com/networks/1...stomer-service
Old 16-05-2023, 11:55   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

It's an old article but it says they're moving call centres back to the UK, I'm sure you could use Google to find out.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/ee-mo...s-back-7830257
Old 17-05-2023, 10:24   #4
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Thank you for your suggestion joglynne. I've never hard of 1p mobile and £3/month is pretty good.

Plusnet Mobile uses the EE network but that's for the signal, as I think is the acse for many mobile providers.

Any other thought/suggestions would be most welcome.
Old 17-05-2023, 10:32   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I’ve spoken to EE customer services a number of times down the years and the only offshore agent I recall speaking to was working from home in Ireland. I’ve always found them helpful, they seem to know their stuff and if you are able to talk technical with them at all (for local signal issues, for example, if you can check a site like Cellmapper and suggest to them to cell ID they should be looking at) then they tend to be quite enthusiastic.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 23:41   #6
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

I would recommend EE all day long, the times I have called its always been North East based call centres, I've had bad experience with other providers, I do how ever have a sim with Smarty, ported my O2 number to them 1 to keep the number but secondly their data deals are great and use it as a backup SIM for my home connection but the process was smooth and no need to have to call them.

EE plus they still have stores in many towns if you do need to go in.
Old 29-05-2023, 13:25   #7
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Thank you for all the thoughts abut EE.

What about other mobile providers? Where are their call centres based? Providers I am considering include Tesco Mobile and Sky Mobile.
Old 29-05-2023, 14:36   #8
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Always worth having a read of the independant reviews...

Tesco mobile running on O2
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/tescomobile.com

Sky mobile running on O2
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/sky-mobile.co.uk
Old 30-05-2023, 13:12   #9
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Thank you for that suggestion.

What are the thoughts of other forum users, as I'd be looking at moving to a company whose call centres are UK-based.
Old 10-11-2023, 15:15   #10
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I’ve spoken to EE customer services a number of times down the years and the only offshore agent I recall speaking to was working from home in Ireland. I’ve always found them helpful, they seem to know their stuff and if you are able to talk technical with them at all (for local signal issues, for example, if you can check a site like Cellmapper and suggest to them to cell ID they should be looking at) then they tend to be quite enthusiastic.
I have now had to make the change and for now I have gone with EE and I am pleasantly surprised by how good their call centres have been so far, both on Tyneside and Belfast. I'm also paying less than I was with Plusnet Mobile.

Whether I stick with them long term remains to be seen but for now, I've been impressed.
Old 28-12-2023, 15:46   #11
Rillington
cf.mega poster

As for the major companies, I believe that Sky, Virgin Mobile and O2 are offshored with EE being UK-based. Not sure about Vodaphone or 3.
Old 28-12-2023, 16:47   #12
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Plusnet was bought by BT in 2007 but has always been run as a separate company. After BT and EE merged they've slowly been consolidation and bringing everything under the EE brand.

I know EE did have a call centre in Scotland, not sure if it's still there. Vodafone did or does have call centres based in Manchester and Egypt. 3 did have a big call centre in Glasgow but I am sure they moved a few years back.
Old 29-12-2023, 16:06   #13
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Thank you for the post Stephen.

EE still does have a call centre in Scotland.