Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15-11-2021, 10:20   #8146
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I don't know, was it much better? would it have been much worse? We'll find out if there is ever an objective inquiry undertaken.
wonder what you will say if you find out you were totally wrong
Advertisement
Old 15-11-2021, 10:21   #8147
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
wonder what you will say if you find out you were totally wrong
There’s a whole thread of material to draw upon right here.
Old 15-11-2021, 10:26   #8148
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
On balance of probability I think it’s more likely that you are wrong.
I'll take those odds.

Quote:
Blinded by your opposition to the state intervening in any aspect of life and seeming propensity to anti-vax rhetoric.
You can't get me on the anti-vax, even though I can see you're just yearning to. So desperate for any slur you can throw my way to try and give your untenanted statements and arguments weight.

I'm fully vaccinated, and when offered the booster I'll take it and I'm having my flu jab this week.

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

Quote:
There’s a whole thread of material to draw upon right here.
you're right, it's inevitable.
Old 15-11-2021, 11:13   #8149
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I'll take those odds.

You can't get me on the anti-vax, even though I can see you're just yearning to. So desperate for any slur you can throw my way to try and give your untenanted statements and arguments weight.

I'm fully vaccinated, and when offered the booster I'll take it and I'm having my flu jab this week.

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

you're right, it's inevitable.
Ah, the nuance that you've missed (not like you!) is that you can simultaneously be vaccinated personally - why not it's perfectly rational to seek to minimise your own risk - and push anti-vax messaging upon others around risks to children or other groups you don't deem worthy of state intervention.
Old 15-11-2021, 12:08   #8150
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Ah, the nuance that you've missed (not like you!) is that you can simultaneously be vaccinated personally - why not it's perfectly rational to seek to minimise your own risk - and push anti-vax messaging upon others around risks to children or other groups you don't deem worthy of state intervention.
In regards to the question of vaccinating children, which is the nub of your post. It is not anti-vax to be hesitant and even critical of the need to vaccinate a cohort where the evidence is extremely thin as to the benefit it provides. As I understand it , the difference in impact to the health of the child due to potential side-effects of the Vaccine v's the impacts of the health of the child contracting Covid are negligible.

There is no tangible benefit. So for my two young children I'm not going to stick anything in their arm that isn't going to be of any benefit to them.

That's not anti-vax.
Old 15-11-2021, 12:30   #8151
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
In regards to the question of vaccinating children, which is the nub of your post. It is not anti-vax to be hesitant and even critical of the need to vaccinate a cohort where the evidence is extremely thin as to the benefit it provides. As I understand it , the difference in impact to the health of the child due to potential side-effects of the Vaccine v's the impacts of the health of the child contracting Covid are negligible.

There is no tangible benefit. So for my two young children I'm not going to stick anything in their arm that isn't going to be of any benefit to them.

That's not anti-vax.
The scientific evidence is clear on the benefit of vaccinating children around the world. Regulators - again around the world - have deemed the vaccines both safe and effective.

To deny that is literally to follow anti-vax narratives. As I had clearly stated in my post above. Your position is not hesitant - you clearly claim without evidence that there is no tangible benefit.

Interesting that you took a booster though - was it not you a mere few months back talking about the benefits of sending vaccines to Africa instead? For someone who vociferously argued that allowing the virus to spread was a coherent strategy due to the risks being extremely low (even without vaccination) you are certainly keen to hedge the odds in your favour at every opportunity.

Apologies if it was someone else, but nobody else springs to mind.
Old 15-11-2021, 12:35   #8152
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The scientific evidence is clear on the benefit of vaccinating children around the world. Regulators - again around the world - have deemed the vaccines both safe and effective.

To deny that is literally to follow anti-vax narratives. As I had clearly stated in my post above. Your position is not hesitant - you clearly claim without evidence that there is no tangible benefit.

Interesting that you took a booster though - was it not you a mere few months back talking about the benefits of sending vaccines to Africa instead? For someone who vociferously argued that allowing the virus to spread was a coherent strategy due to the risks being extremely low (even without vaccination) you are certainly keen to hedge the odds in your favour at every opportunity.

Apologies if it was someone else, but nobody else springs to mind.

Are your children covid vaccinated ?
Old 15-11-2021, 12:39   #8153
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

That's not anti-vax.
Unless you want to take them on holiday…

Quote:
I don't think I will be in any rush to have my two boys vaccinated but no doubt it will be forced on upon them if we want to go on holiday.

There is no reason to have under 18's (you could probably go as far as under 30) vaccinated.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 15-11-2021, 12:41   #8154
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Are your children covid vaccinated ?
No. I read once on the internet they’d grow an extra head and a bloke in the Spectator said we’d already hit herd immunity (three times). So I decided they were a better judge of science than the scientists.

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

As I said before he’s a principled one.
Old 15-11-2021, 12:44   #8155
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
No. I read once on the internet they’d grow an extra head and a bloke in the Spectator said we’d already hit herd immunity (three times). So I decided they were a better judge of science than the scientists.

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 ----------

As I said before he’s a principled one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3FE14B2A-684E-4183-868F-1843622A11ED.jpeg (120.5 KB, 37 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 15-11-2021, 12:45   #8156
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

I'll have a bottle of that, cheers
Old 15-11-2021, 13:48   #8157
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
The scientific evidence is clear on the benefit of vaccinating children around the world.
Are you sure about that?

Quote:
Interesting that you took a booster though
interesting you don't read posts properly. I said when offered, I'll take it. I haven't been offered one.

Quote:
was it not you a mere few months back talking about the benefits of sending vaccines to Africa instead?
I did, I can't recall exactly (i'm sure king of the search function - Hugh will find the relevant post ) in what context I said it. I think was along the lines of instead of vaccinating under 30's, vaccinate the at risk groups globally. I still stand by that.

---------- Post added at 13:48 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

Quote:
We'll probably go to Spain

Quote:
The Spanish government requires all arrivals to Spain from the UK (excluding children under the age of 12 years old) to present on entry one of the following:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
Old 15-11-2021, 13:52   #8158
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
I recently read a book written about you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53196217._SY475_.jpg (20.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 15-11-2021, 13:58   #8159
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Oh look!

Quote:
There is no vaccine currently approved for under-12s in the UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57888429
Old 15-11-2021, 14:06   #8160
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
The vaccines are safe as far as vaccines go, yes, but all vaccines produce side effects in some people.

The hesitancy around vaccinating children is that the risk of becoming ill with Covid is extremely small, and therefore one has to weigh the balance of whether to take the small risk of not vaccinating against a virus that is unlikely to affect them or vaccinate and take the small risk that they may get side effects.

The net benefit of vaccinating children is extremely small, so much so that the scientists were hesitant about recommending that children should be vaccinated. Although on balance they decided it would be, it was close, and in all probability based on keeping transmission rates down.