Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bt

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Moving from ntl to BT - advice please

Old 04-02-2006, 21:37   #1
littld
Inactive

Services: Phone line
littld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to littld
Moving from ntl to BT - advice please

Hi I have been using ntl broadband for years and now switching to BT.

Obviously I have got used to "always on" and don't want to have to log in each time.

I want wireless to work as it does now - I have a Sweex cable router with ethernet and wifi.

Do you think I will need a complete replacement for this based on ADSL or is there a way to connect from the modem BT will provide to the router I already have? If I need to replace, any recommendations?

Also, are there any other things I should consider while I switch providers?

Thanks, David.
littld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2006, 23:14   #2
TW_BUS_DATA_TECH

Re: Moving from ntl to BT - advice please

It really depends on the equipment BT are going to provide you. If it's going to be a speedtouch modem (single user) then its proberbly only going to have a USB connector. If however they provide you with an ADSL router you may be able to use your current kit.

As for new kit I would always recommend Linksys simply because I've never had any problems with mine but it's personal preferance really.

Oh and just one more tip if your connection ever goes wrong make sure you still have the kit BT supply and if its a speedtouch the disk too as sometimes they just decide that its a "your CPE issue".
Old 04-02-2006, 23:47   #3
Enuff

you'll need an ADSL router the one you have now is for cable/dsl - Is that sweex router from Spoton computers? I'm not a fan of anything sweex, cheap n nasy, but if its doing the job, what do I know
Old 05-02-2006, 12:05   #4
driver_problems
Permanently Banned

Services: ntl 1meg cable modem Skysports & Movies, Film4 and phone
driver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by littld
Hi I have been using ntl broadband for years and now switching to BT.

Obviously I have got used to "always on" and don't want to have to log in each time.

I want wireless to work as it does now - I have a Sweex cable router with ethernet and wifi.

Do you think I will need a complete replacement for this based on ADSL or is there a way to connect from the modem BT will provide to the router I already have? If I need to replace, any recommendations?

Also, are there any other things I should consider while I switch providers?

Thanks, David.
I have tried on numerous occsions to leave ntl mainly due to their shoddy billing systems but on each occasion I have been coerced to stay with some offer I basically couldn't turn down. Once a bloke talked me into staying the day before sky and BT came round to fit their stuff
driver_problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 22:21   #5
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

You can get a standalone ADSL ethernet modem, then just connect this to the router as you do with the ntl modem. Alternatively you can get an adsl router as then disable the routing on one or other of the routers because you don't really want dual NAT.

IIRC BT provide crappy speedtouch usb modems.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 22:38   #6
driver_problems
Permanently Banned

driver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud of

Quote:
My brother has adsl and has a router rigged up so the connection is 'always on' . It has the user name and password stored in it somehow - will find out tommorow how its done if you like
Old 07-02-2006, 12:02   #7
littld
Inactive

littld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver_problems
My brother has adsl and has a router rigged up so the connection is 'always on' . It has the user name and password stored in it somehow - will find out tommorow how its done if you like
Don't put yourself out but if it's easy then yes, would appreciate a better understanding of how that works. Thankyou.

Got confirmation today that ADSL will be installed, don't have a date yet.
Old 07-02-2006, 16:50   #8
driver_problems
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Don't put yourself out but if it's easy then yes, would appreciate a better understanding of how that works. Thankyou.

Got confirmation today that ADSL will be installed, don't have a date yet.
you can log on to the router put 127.000.000.000 into the url bar (one of the others will correct me if I am wrong) and go to the admin page and enter the username and password there

it should tell you all this in the handbook you get with the router. Hope this is a help in some way
Old 07-02-2006, 20:00   #9
littld
Inactive

Thankyou.

Oh I just had a thought - I'll be able to keep my broadband working even while rebooting the set top box (have to do this pretty regularly). Wow!
Old 09-02-2006, 21:51   #10
littld
Inactive

BT are fitting an ADSL modem with a USB connector next week! I hope the cable stretches....
Old 09-02-2006, 21:55   #11
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
BT are fitting an ADSL modem with a USB connector next week! I hope the cable stretches....
There's no reason why you can't get a phone extension cable if you come up short.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 15:54   #12
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:
Nope you're fitting the modem, they just activate the line and send you the modem
Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 17:26   #13
littld
Inactive

BT modem arrived on Saturday so making progress.

Does anyone know if I need to give ntl 30 days notice or can I just cancel over the phone? I am keeping the TV, at least until Sky come up with a decent intro offer.
Old 13-02-2006, 18:22   #14
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

I would call NTL and confirm 30 days notice especially if you are inside the 12 month contract period. If needed I would follow it up with a letter confirming the cancellation sent to NTL by recorded delivery so that you have proof of their receiving the letter.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 22:03   #15
littld
Inactive

Okay ADSL started working today. Picked up a very nice ADSL wireless modem router (LinkSys) AND a PC card for the laptop all for £39.99 at PC World! I think that price is a steal.

Anyway I plugged it in, configured WPA and put in the id and password and it's all working. It surprised me that it was easier than setting up ntl - every time I got a new stb I had to go through the whole rigmarole of restarting everything and typing in the subscriber number etc etc. This was just plug and play.

I am only on 512K but I haven't noticed a difference in speed yet (might do next time I download something big!). So far very impressed.

I'll give it a day to settle in case there are problems and then contact ntl to stop the broadband. Thanks for all your comments.