Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Future possible HD replacements

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Future possible HD replacements

Old 28-09-2018, 10:59   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Future possible HD replacements

With GOLD and FreeSports recently being replaced with their HD versions on Virgin Media I thought I'd scroll through the EPG looking for obvious candidates to follow suit.

Regional differences and not being in the same package are the main reasons channels might not be replaced any time soon as far as I can see. Here are the ones I think could be done easily.

The following list is based on what I can see on my EPG, and I'm on Mix pack so if something isn't available on a lower package and I've not realised please say so.

BBC4 - has no regional variations
CBeebies - as above
CBBC - as above
Paramount Network - the SD channel has higher number so no number adjustment required
4Seven - HD on all packs (AFAIK) and HD version is on Freeview HD
Quest HD - same as 4Seven
BBC News Channel - has no regional variations

The following can be switched in Scotland
BBC1 Scotland - it's one of the few BBC1 regions to have regional HD variant
BBC2 - from 2019 when BBC Scotland Channel launches BBC2 will become the National version which I believe is what BBC2 HD on VM is
STV - the recent press release about their new deal said STV HD was replacing SD version on VM

The following channels I'm only suggesting as I believe I read a year or so ago they no longer do regional advertising variations anymore.
Channel 4
Channel 5

Like I said I may have made errors, so please poke holes in this.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-09-2018, 11:14   #2
StevenNT
cf.addict

Services: 500Mb Hyperoptic, Sky Signature with HD, UHD and Ultimate On Demand
StevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Future possible HD replacements

I think Channel 4 still has some regional advertising. I believe I saw some users on here say the blue button option to switch to Channel 4 HD on 104 is not there in some regions.
StevenNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 13:10   #3
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

All these channels are carried on bog standard Freeview, so still require an SD distribution feed in some form or other. Until this is no longer required I can't see the SD versions disappearing from the other platforms.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 13:54   #4
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
All these channels are carried on bog standard Freeview, so still require an SD distribution feed in some form or other. Until this is no longer required I can't see the SD versions disappearing from the other platforms.
I'm just talking about Cable though, I wasn't suggesting the broadcasters remove them from existence entirely, just that VM is showing willing and they are the only platform where it can be done now everyone has HD boxes on the network.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 19:04   #5
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I posted here

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=2095

That said I’m informed the list isn’t accurate - despite using the Virgin website!
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote