Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24-03-2008, 10:55   #1681
yeticatcher
Inactive

yeticatcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

I've been noticing double-hits on webforms, so phoned Virgin to find that Phorm has been live since the beginning of the month... Has anyone else noticed this??

Customer services, when challenged about this pointed me in the direction of webwise.com and have stated they do not have any method of opting out at present.... could be interesting...

1) Phorm appears to be live
2) Virgin do not appear to have notified the customer base about this
3) No revised T's & C's appear to be issued
4) They state they don't have an opt out

Wicked!!!
Advertisement
Old 24-03-2008, 11:08   #1682
lostandconfused
Inactive

Services: 2 X V+ XL TV XL BB XL Telco
lostandconfused has reached the bronze age
lostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeticatcher View Post
snip

Wicked!!!
1)Phorm is not live on virgin media, there are plenty of links of people stating this, and i woud rather believe what i can read than what someone has been told by cs.
2) they dont need to as its not live
3) see above
4) you cant opt out of something that isnt live
Old 24-03-2008, 11:22   #1683
yeticatcher
Inactive

yeticatcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

I have no interest in making this up...

I phoned them after observing double-hits on single click authentication forms, resulting in a generic 'you have already confirmed....' when it would normally render a response of 'thank-you... your update was successful'.

Humour me.... Cust Services on 150 is free... They will put you on hold while they have a dig around... and see what their response is...

I'm happy to run external tests if needed, will IIS logs show this up??
Old 24-03-2008, 11:35   #1684
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

I phoned them after observing double-hits on single click authentication forms, resulting in a generic 'you have already confirmed....' when it would normally render a response of 'thank-you... your update was successful'.

Humour me.... Cust Services on 150 is free... They will put you on hold while they have a dig around... and see what their response is...

It isn't live.

I know this for fact. You appear to have some other issue. It isn't live on BT or CWP either. BT are about to launch a test of the system, as are CWP. VM are no where near trialling the system.
Old 24-03-2008, 12:38   #1685
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Simple

Your wrong.

So if you think its live give us some real evidence trace routes, cookies and which site you got them from.

Finally.

I have a very very good contact within VM core networks and he has told me "and i trust him 100% as i have known him for 12 years" that they are NOT testing nor do they have PHORM running in any of there POP sites at this time.

So give us the ruddy evidence is you are so ruddy certain. I have been running checks for the last 3 weeks and have seen no evidence what so ruddy ever of phorm being tested on the VM network.

so why don't you tell us what your real problem with VM is ????? instead of making comments that you don't seem to have evidence for.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 24-03-2008, 12:45   #1686
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

well ,short of a few of you techs looking in the data centers of all the ISPs to make sure that no phorm kit is hooked up we cant really be that sure can we.

and being that its going to have a trial run at some point, who knows whats pluged into that new fiber the R&D room installed last year!.

if you really think somethings not right,you as an end user can OC capture all the data stream on your section as your own trial using several tools ,but your going to need to know what to look for ,and its going to take up a lot of space as a raw stream.

there are techs out there that can advise you, and plenty are looking for this phorm data now, but i suspect it might be a false positive in this case or something else.

after all, VM wouldnt be that stupid to run secret non-consented Phorm trials now that BT look to be in seriously deep doo-doo with their unlawful june/july 2007 trial, would they?.
Old 24-03-2008, 12:47   #1687
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
I've had Dephormation throw up an alert on a few of the other threads, as some folks have links to webwise in their post or their sigs.

I don't think it's anything to be concerned with at the mo, but keep on yer toes as we all know Phorm's history on that front.
thanks its possible this whats happening strange it did not do it a week ago. Then agian maybe those links was not there. But what was strange Why without moving the browser it activated.

Unless the webpage auto refreshed and someone with a phorm link posted while I was away from the machine.

Thanks it did worry me but this does explain the OIX warning.
Old 24-03-2008, 12:49   #1688
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
well ,short of a few of you techs looking in the data centers of all the ISPs to make sure that no phorm kit is hooked up we cant really be that sure can we.

and being that its going to have a trial run at some point, who knows whats pluged into that new fiber the R&D room installed last year!.

if you really think somethings not right,you as an end user can OC capture all the data stream on your section as your own trial using several tools ,but your going to need to know what to look for ,and its going to take up a lot of space as a raw stream.

there are techs out there that can advise you, and plenty are looking for this phorm data now, but i suspect it might be a false positive in this case or something else.

after all, VM wouldnt be that stupid to run secret non-consented Phorm trials now that BT look to be in seriously deep doo-doo with their unlawful june/july 2007 trial, would they?.
Trust me i have been running test's on my connection for the last 3 weeks and there has been no sign what so ever of Phorm on my connection.

I will scream from the roof tops if i see it.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 24-03-2008, 12:49   #1689
murfitUK
cf.addict

murfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to all

There's a good column in today's Guardian about phorm, and web privacy in general.

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/...ate_lives.html
Old 24-03-2008, 13:22   #1690
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've been noticing double-hits on webforms, so phoned Virgin to find that Phorm has been live since the beginning of the month... Has anyone else noticed this??

Customer services, when challenged about this pointed me in the direction of webwise.com and have stated they do not have any method of opting out at present.... could be interesting...

Wicked!!!
Yeticatcher, I honestly dont think even VM is stupid enough to let this go live without informing customers and obtaining consent. Not with all the controversy going on and whats happening vis-a-vis BTs secret trial of the technology last summer. That said we should remain alert.
Old 24-03-2008, 13:51   #1691
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle View Post
thanks its possible this whats happening strange it did not do it a week ago. Then agian maybe those links was not there. But what was strange Why without moving the browser it activated.

Unless the webpage auto refreshed and someone with a phorm link posted while I was away from the machine.

Thanks it did worry me but this does explain the OIX warning.
If I look at the thread Slow slow slow dephormation throws up an alert box, on closer inspection there is a webwise link in someone's sig.

The link to the article from the Guardian MurfitUk posted is well worth a read too.
Old 24-03-2008, 14:25   #1692
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfitUK View Post
There's a good column in today's Guardian about phorm, and web privacy in general.

Bondage, SM & an organisation called Backlash...

Good job we're not being profiled already...
Old 24-03-2008, 14:54   #1693
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Less than 24 hours to go and we can get back to the Phun of hopefully watching Phorms share price continue tanking. Happy days....
Old 24-03-2008, 16:16   #1694
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfitUK View Post

The link to the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act bill is an interesting one - it demonstrates what I said in this forum weeks ago:

Namely, once the Phorm hardware is in place, it's perfectly possible for the government to introduce new legislation, or ammend existing statutes to allow them to, quite legally, use it to analyze all UK citizen's web traffic and pick up key words and images that they consider to be "undesirable" (much as GCHQ have been doing to telephone traffic for years, under court orders). The system can then be used to build a very different kind of profile on each of us; one which I very much doubt M15 would send us in the post upon request and payment of a £10 processing fee.

Now, whilst most of us would probably agree on some of the things on their list as undesirable (child abuse, terrorism, organized crime, fraud) we unfortunately have no control over what else they choose to identify as undesirable - political affiliation, trades union activism, NGO membership, religious allegiance, sexual preference.....
Old 24-03-2008, 16:45   #1695
OF1975
Inactive

Phorm Comms Team is at it again. This time on the OIX supporting grauniad:

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/...omment-1221420
Closed Thread