Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free wifi Booster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Free wifi Booster

Old 17-06-2020, 02:27   #1
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age
Free wifi Booster

Hey all,

I used the virgin media connection app and found blackspots which couldnt be fixed. as a result it said i was entitled to a free wifi booster based on my package.

I thought "ha never knew this room was a blackspot...well played." i then clicked the app and then...

"oops!!!" annoying message about the link no longer working etc. i have no idea how to order a booster which is free which the app told me to because i can find no way to order it...

Any ideas? the twitter account is not responding sadly nor the official forums
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-06-2020, 02:42   #2
newapollo
cf.addict

newapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant future
Re: Free wifi Booster

Hi Vince. Call 150 from your Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, but best to call at 8am to avoid call queues. I would suggest either Tech Support as in a sense it's a tech issue, or retentions.
newapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 10:23   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Personally I would recommend that you buy a decent router and plug that into your VM super hub and put that into modem mode.

I have zero blank spots and a superb Wi-Fi in the house.
Old 17-06-2020, 12:19   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Personally I would recommend that you buy a decent router and plug that into your VM super hub and put that into modem mode.
I agree. You are just asking for trouble and frustration with free stuff. You need a "free" wifi booster because the "free" router VM supply to you wish is cack. Putting cack on top of cack just gives you more cack and will potentially more stress in the future when something doesn't work properly. You will have two annoying devices to troubleshoot.

The best bet is to invest in a proper router which will delivery several performance increases.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 22:20   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have this one, I paid over £200 for mine.

But you do get what you pay for.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-N...s%2C150&sr=8-3
Old 21-06-2020, 02:25   #6
oscarandjo
cf.member

oscarandjo is on a distinguished roadoscarandjo is on a distinguished road

Get a Ubiquiti Access Point (I have the AP-AC LR, LR standing for Long Range), then run an ethernet cable to the most central point in your house and install it on the wall/ceiling there.

Assuming your house isn't really big or made from really thick stone this should be good enough. The signal strength difference between the SH2/3 and the Ubiquiti point is night and day. My Kitchen is the adjacent room to the SuperHub and previously had WiFi issues, whereas my Ubiquiti is upstairs and the Kitchen now has a flawless signal.

I got my AP for £63 on eBay used, although that was an exceptionally good deal.

Once you've installed the Ubiquiti, try disabling the 2.4GHz on your router. You can leave the router's 5GHz on if the AP's 5GHz doesn't reach to the room you have the router in.

Ditch consumer gear altogether and get something enterprise-grade. It's the best decision I made.
oscarandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 02:39   #7
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I love Ubiquiti stuff, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's not clued up on managing enterprise network gear.

A decent consumer grade router will be far better than the Virgin Hubs and if you're going to run an ethernet cable to put a new AP in a better position, there's almost certainly no need for enterprise grade gear in a residential property.

Again, the Ubiquiti stuff is fantastic kit, great hardware, but it's not as simple to set up and manage as a regular consumer router. You need the management software running somewhere for a start (you can't easily just log in to the AP and configure it).
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 02:54   #8
oscarandjo
cf.member

oscarandjo is on a distinguished roadoscarandjo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I love Ubiquiti stuff, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's not clued up on managing enterprise network gear.

A decent consumer grade router will be far better than the Virgin Hubs and if you're going to run an ethernet cable to put a new AP in a better position, there's almost certainly no need for enterprise grade gear in a residential property.

Again, the Ubiquiti stuff is fantastic kit, great hardware, but it's not as simple to set up and manage as a regular consumer router. You need the management software running somewhere for a start (you can't easily just log in to the AP and configure it).
Yes, good points. In my experience setting up the Ubiquiti AP was pretty plug and play. I changed some WiFi channels, but that's no different from any consumer router where you might do the same. By default, it uses "AI" to automatically set channels and other settings.

Technically you only need a controller for the setup process (after this the AP runs without the controller). This can be done with Ubiquiti's app (which acts as a controller for the setup process) in the case you don't want to set up a controller on an old computer or buy a dedicated controller.

See: https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/se...ut-controller/
oscarandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 14:13   #9
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I wasn't aware the app could act as the controller, that's quite cool (and it has been some years since I last dealt with Unifi equipment). Still, without a controller running all the time you'll miss out on some features and not really get the best from the equipment.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 15:06   #10
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I agree. You are just asking for trouble and frustration with free stuff. You need a "free" wifi booster because the "free" router VM supply to you wish is cack. Putting cack on top of cack just gives you more cack and will potentially more stress in the future when something doesn't work properly. You will have two annoying devices to troubleshoot.

The best bet is to invest in a proper router which will delivery several performance increases.
Well put General, it brought a smile to my face and that's not often.!
The best thing about the VM app is that it can be uninstalled.... The VM forums have lots of complaints about the app and everthing that goes with it.
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 16:11   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi View Post
The best thing about the VM app is that it can be uninstalled.... The VM forums have lots of complaints about the app and everthing that goes with it.

just buy a flipping proper router. No shub, no booster, no app = no hassle
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote