Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What's a good ISP for just internet?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

What antenna is this I found installed in my house?

Old 17-05-2021, 13:41   #1
Frank15
cf.member

Frank15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile What antenna is this I found installed in my house?

I found this antenna in our house when we rented it. I'd like to get over-the-air TV and I wonder if this antenna would serve the purpose.

Any help much appreciated

Frank15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-05-2021, 13:46   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: What antenna is this I found installed in my house?

It’s a satellite dish. If you buy a Freesat box and plug it in to that you will get plenty of free-to-air TV.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 14:42   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It’s a satellite dish. If you buy a Freesat box and plug it in to that you will get plenty of free-to-air TV.
Or some TVs have built in satellite tuners which would work with that too.
Old 17-05-2021, 14:52   #4
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

You can pick up simple boxes for £30 that will record to USB but only has one tuner or you could get one with a HDD and multi tuners. I use a Mut@nt HD51 an Enigma box which are quite complicated
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 14:54   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I suspect the OP is trying to keep things simple - Freesat is exactly that, and it has a great user interface that will be familiar to anyone who has previously been a Sky or VM subscriber.
Old 17-05-2021, 15:19   #6
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I suspect the OP is trying to keep things simple - Freesat is exactly that, and it has a great user interface that will be familiar to anyone who has previously been a Sky or VM subscriber.
That is why I mentioned the cheap boxes first. Plenty of venders make and sell em on Amazon etc

---------- Post added at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

The beauty of the Enigma boxes is you can make them look exactly like Sky and Virgin if you want or even hunt out the textures and make your own skin ( but as you said that is not simple hehehe) The other thing I really like about my box is I can view the channels over the network on other devices which is cool
Old 17-05-2021, 15:21   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

There was a time I’d have bought something like that just to play with it. These days I have to form a queue just to get a go on our TV.
Old 17-05-2021, 15:43   #8
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
There was a time I’d have bought something like that just to play with it. These days I have to form a queue just to get a go on our TV.
hahahaha I feel ya buddy
Old 18-05-2021, 11:36   #9
Frank15
cf.member

Frank15 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll check that. Not sure how this compares to a typical TV antenna to get local channels.

Thank you all for your answers
Frank15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 11:41   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Freesat asks you for your post code, and uses that to put the correct BBC and ITV regions in slots 101, 102 and 103.
Old 18-05-2021, 11:55   #11
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Freesat asks you for your post code, and uses that to put the correct BBC and ITV regions in slots 101, 102 and 103.
That's a bit old hat. Technology today usually asks for phone numbers, D.O.B., email address, next of kin, sex (if any), shoe size, and your last online purchase
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote