Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 22:21   #5776
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Does the data show a particularly worrying upsurge in hospitalisations, then? I thought they were relatively flat.

What I would like to see is an abandonment of the legal requirement to wear masks and socially distance. That will enable businesses that are suffering or unable to open to get back on their feet. They have limited impact on transmission anyway, particularly during the summer.

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

I will celebrate with a mask-burning barbecue when this ridiculous legislation is finally abandoned.

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

Or maybe the media is simply sensationalising, yet again.

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

Clearly, that is not the only question. It’s more complicated than this, and the scientists are going into apocalyptic mode. It must be the stress of it all.
You can have your hopes and aspirations but as I’ve repeated often it only leads to disappointment.

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Can we have our lives back now
Aside international travel is there a single restriction that actually has any meaningful inconvenience to your day to day life?
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2021, 22:33   #5777
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Does the data show a particularly worrying upsurge in hospitalisations, then? I thought they were relatively flat
That isn't the only consideration. These are the government's 4 key tests for progressing the roadmap:

Quote:
- the vaccine deployment programme continues successfully
- evidence shows vaccines are sufficiently effective in reducing hospitalisations and deaths in those vaccinated
- infection rates do not risk a surge in hospitalisations which would put unsustainable pressure on the NHS
- our assessment of the risks is not fundamentally changed by new Variants of Concern
The fourth one is clearly not met at the moment, and the third is questionable.
Old 12-06-2021, 22:38   #5778
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
<SNIP>

Aside international travel is there a single restriction that actually has any meaningful inconvenience to your day to day life?
Just on my part, the bloody nanny state that is Waitrose, Wokingham. We increasingly shop in Waitrose, Twyford.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 12-06-2021, 23:12   #5779
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It’s not about me. Such a selfish attitude to take, not unsurprising. I take it that’s how you view the world? If it doesn’t impact me.....who gives a fu..... not me.

There have been no restrictions that have impacted me to any degree, I have a very privileged situation ( which i have worked for btw). But I have suffered very little during these past 18 months. But that doesn’t mean I think lockdowns or other government actions have been correct and I’ll oppose anything I think is wrong even if I am unaffected by it, I presume you wouldn’t........................not good.
Old 12-06-2021, 23:19   #5780
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
It’s not about me. Such a selfish attitude to take, not unsurprising. I take it that’s how you view the world? If it doesn’t impact me.....who gives a fu..... not me.

There have been no restrictions that have impacted me to any degree, I have a very privileged situation ( which i have worked for btw). But I have suffered very little during these past 18 months. But that doesn’t mean I think lockdowns or other government actions have been correct and I’ll oppose anything I think is wrong even if I am unaffected by it, I presume you wouldn’t........................not good.
A laughable retort.

So from your privileged position you want to put more people at risk? Classy.

Vaccinating 2 million people a week but Pierre the Privileged thinks the young and partially vaccinated should be put at risk anyway for a couple of per cent on GDP for 4 weeks.

Last edited by jfman; 12-06-2021 at 23:29.
Old 12-06-2021, 23:29   #5781
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
A laughable retort.

So from your privileged position you want to put more people at risk? Classy.
Only as laughable as your selfish attitude......Classy.
Old 12-06-2021, 23:33   #5782
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Only as laughable as your selfish attitude......Classy.
Where am I being selfish? I’ve already stated my support for the furlough scheme and supporting businesses throughout restrictions. A consistent position I’ve held throughout.

I’m happy to pay tax for that but I’m guessing Pierre the Privileged isn’t? For 4 weeks.
Old 12-06-2021, 23:44   #5783
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Where am I being selfish?
I said your selfish attitude.

Quote:
By asking me, if I am not personally impacted by restrictions, why should I give a monkeys..........shows where you’re coming from in this pandemic.
Old 12-06-2021, 23:52   #5784
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I said your selfish attitude.

By asking me, if I am not personally impacted by restrictions, why should I give a monkeys..........shows where you’re coming from in this pandemic.
Indeed it does not.

I’ll remind you that the question arose from your statement:

Quote:
Can we have our lives back now
Seems odd for someone unaffected by existing restrictions. It would appear the only thing holding you back is yourself. I’m as much of a doom-monger as the next guy but there’s no reason to hide behind the couch. Reclaim your life if there’s no substantive restrictions impacting you but those in your own mind.

However you’re disappointed that June 21st isn’t happening so if that’s really the straw you wish to clutch to I’ll leave you to make peace with it.

Anyone can see my track record from my posts and I’m happy to stand by it. Your ideological opposition has been noted throughout - as you say easing restrictions further won’t make a difference to you in any case.

At least the decision makers give wider consideration to public health than what bores privileged Pierre.

Last edited by jfman; 13-06-2021 at 00:10.
Old 13-06-2021, 00:21   #5785
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Indeed it does not.

I’ll remind you that the question arose from your statement:

Seems odd for someone unaffected by existing restrictions. It would appear the only thing holding you back is yourself. I’m as much of a doom-monger as the next guy but there’s no reason to hide behind the couch. Reclaim your life if there’s no substantive restrictions impacting you but those in your own mind.

However you’re disappointed that June 21st isn’t happening so if that’s really the straw you wish to clutch to I’ll leave you to make peace with it.

Anyone can see my track record from my posts and I’m happy to stand by it. Your ideological opposition has been noted throughout - as you say easing restrictions further won’t make a difference to you in any case.

At least the decision makers give wider consideration to public health than what bores privileged Pierre.
A lot of text, none of which mitigates your apparent view. You’ve been ok through lockdown, your support of lockdowns and extending lockdowns is a matter of record on here, and because you’re ok, you question why anyone not impacted by lockdown would oppose it.

Well fortunately, many aren’t as as selfish and self centered as yourself. You appear to care for no others as long you’re comfortable. You try to divert your self centered attitude by latching on to my statement that I was privileged/lucky to be in the position I found myself.

That was a state of circumstance not a state of mind. Your state if mind is evident, as long as you’re ok, you’re happy to let every one else struggle.........not your concern.
Old 13-06-2021, 00:23   #5786
jfman
Architect of Ideas

You had me worried there until you said apparent view at which point it became clear that the whole post was palpably subjective nonsense.

Part of me prefers when you do your Mystic Meg and make Covid predictions. It's no more accurate but infinitely funnier.

Throw away your shackles Pierre. It's really not worth getting hung up on debating me which, as far as I can tell, is the only inconvenience Covid has on your privileged position.

Incidentally....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-boris-johnson

Last edited by jfman; 13-06-2021 at 00:34.
Old 13-06-2021, 00:40   #5787
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

If only I was debating somebody that understood English, and knew that the word “apparent” was not a subjective proposition.

Quote:
clearly visible or understood; obvious
Everything previously stated by me on the matter stands.

Your failure to provide any credible rebuttal for any of it, also stands.

Bon soir.
Old 13-06-2021, 00:46   #5788
jfman
Architect of Ideas

If only words has a single definition:

seeming real or true, but not necessarily so.

Not like you to view things in this thread far too simplistically. I’ve no real reason to provide a detailed rebuttal to someone consistently wrong. Your record stands for itself and anyone can consider if your position is credible.

Get out and enjoy freedom tomorrow. There’s a brave world out there of minimal restrictions to enjoy. It might improve your perspective on things.

Last edited by jfman; 13-06-2021 at 00:49.
Old 13-06-2021, 05:07   #5789
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Get back to the subject.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 13-06-2021, 12:05   #5790
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Where am I being selfish? I’ve already stated my support for the furlough scheme and supporting businesses throughout restrictions. A consistent position I’ve held throughout.

I’m happy to pay tax for that but I’m guessing Pierre the Privileged isn’t? For 4 weeks.
What about all the businesses that will go under if these restrictions are maintained?

Anyone would think we didn't have a vaccine that had been offered to all vulnerable groups.