Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 18:27   #5551
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Tough luck. All those who went racing out to Portugal and Spain on the assumption that both countries would be green by the time they returned will now be hit with testing bills and mandatory isolation. I have zero sympathy.

How could you be so stupid?
Yes, agreed. All UK citizens should holiday in this country this year. With a traffic light system that changes as frequently as, well, traffic lights, no-one can rely on the green light to give you any confidence at all that it will remain so.

It’s just a pity that our seaside resorts come as such a poor second to those on the continent. We need to modernise our seaside towns so that when the weather disappoints, there’s plenty of alternatives to amuse visitors.

Accommodation needs to be upgraded, too!

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
A delay in easing restrictions does not equate to lockdown.

I’m not really willing to accept there’s a plethora of businesses who have sustained restrictions from March 2020 to date - including actual lockdown that are on breaking point over the next few weeks.

These are classic Old Boy straw men.

They are not ‘straw men’, jfman. In many parts of the hospitality sector, they are absolutely relying on the dismantling of restrictions on 21 June. Even where pubs and restaurants have opened, they tend not to be profitable with the current restrictions in place.

You don’t have to accept what these businesses are saying. But the government ignores this at their peril.

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

Quote:

Doesn’t sound like the figures clearly say anything. Was that a small number of hospitalisations or deaths I know you’ve been confused over this matter before.

So even figures don’t convince you now. Well, well. That’s your credibility completely shot to pieces. Admitting you are wrong would be much less damaging to your reputation!

You are the one confused, jfman.

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

Quote:

Straw man once more. Current restrictions aren’t lockdown.

There’s also a ton of data one dose of the vaccine isn’t sufficient against the latest strain.
Current restrictions are crippling some businesses. Not that you care.

One dose of the vaccine does prevent illness in some cases and prevents severe illness in others. As time goes on, the risk of hospitalisations is decreasing. It’s also worth saying that most of those who have had only one jab are younger than 40. In other words, they are not in the vulnerable category.
Old 03-06-2021, 18:30   #5552
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY
But the government ignores this at their peril.
Don’t make me laugh Old Boy we have a Government consistently polling ahead of rival parties by a country mile despite scandal, corruption and even one of their top advisers coming out and berating them.

After 15 months if you think the hospitality sector will even nudge the dial in polls by extending restrictions for a month or two then you are kidding only yourself.

The Government cannot manage a pandemic by focusing on one sector alone.

Quote:
So even figures don’t convince you now.
From someone who will literally say anything to back up their flawed argument, no. You will never convince me.

At least I have sufficient credibility having never confused 16 deaths with 16 hospitalisations then still came to the same conclusion regardless because I’ve not got blinkers on.
Old 03-06-2021, 18:30   #5553
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
One report versus all the previous data around it. I remain sceptical, in particular using the phrase “strong covid infection”. Either the majority of cases are asymptomatic or aren’t.

Old Boy you claim to not want lockdowns yet insist upon car crash approaches from March 2020 to date. So forgive me for not believing you have the best interests of the nations health at heart.
You are so predictable! You rubbish opinions you don’t agree with and then when corroboration is provided for the view you derided, you then find excuses not to agree with the article! And you never provide any articles to support your extraordinary views, either.

I think we have the measure of you, jfman.

No, I don’t want any more lockdowns. They are unnecessary, and do not, in the end, prevent deaths. They delay deaths, and that is all.

It is vaccinations that have saved us. Not lockdowns.
Old 03-06-2021, 18:33   #5554
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You are so predictable! You rubbish opinions you don’t agree with and then when corroboration is provided for the view you derided, you then find excuses not to agree with the article! And you never provide any articles to support your extraordinary views, either.

I think we have the measure of you, jfman.

“Extraordinary views” - agreeing with Conservative Government policy.

Quote:
Current restrictions are crippling some businesses. Not that you care.

One dose of the vaccine does prevent illness in some cases and prevents severe illness in others. As time goes on, the risk of hospitalisations is decreasing. It’s also worth saying that most of those who have had only one jab are younger than 40. In other words, they are not in the vulnerable category.
You’re clearly not paying attention to the new data, but I find that completely unsurprising. If the Government can support businesses for fifteen months they can support them for sixteen.

Last edited by jfman; 03-06-2021 at 18:36.
Old 03-06-2021, 18:36   #5555
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Don’t make me laugh Old Boy we have a Government consistently polling ahead of rival parties by a country mile despite scandal, corruption and even one of their top advisers coming out and berating them.

After 15 months if you think the hospitality sector will even nudge the dial in polls by extending restrictions for a month or two then you are kidding only yourself.

The Government cannot manage a pandemic by focusing on one sector alone.

From someone who will literally say anything to back up their flawed argument, no. You will never convince me.

At least I have sufficient credibility having never confused 16 deaths with 16 hospitalisations then still came to the same conclusion regardless because I’ve not got blinkers on.
Nice attempt to change the subject! This is not about politics, although that is clearly your motivation.

Nobody will ever convince you that you are wrong. On anything. Once you commit to an argument, you cannot bring yourself to admit you are wrong.

The deaths/hospitalisations issue has already been explained, so move on.
Old 03-06-2021, 18:47   #5556
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I wonder how many of them were smokers?

My advice is at your risk.
Old 03-06-2021, 18:54   #5557
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I wonder how many of them were smokers?
most of the under 15's probably
Old 03-06-2021, 18:54   #5558
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Nice attempt to change the subject! This is not about politics, although that is clearly your motivation.

Nobody will ever convince you that you are wrong. On anything. Once you commit to an argument, you cannot bring yourself to admit you are wrong.

The deaths/hospitalisations issue has already been explained, so move on.
You’ve explained that you misunderstood but not explained how, in light of new information you reach the same conclusion? It’s almost as if it’s nothing to do with the data, nothing to do with the vaccination programme, nothing to do with variants.

At least just level with us and say you despise how Covid has extended the role and function of the state, and it’s exposure of the myth of private sector efficiency through the PPE contracts and test and trace.

The data could literally say anything and you’d push no restrictions from June 22, because you’ve opposed restrictions all along. It’s bare naked dogmatic ideology we all see through.
Old 03-06-2021, 18:56   #5559
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

For all those who wonder what's going on in this thread . . .

Old 03-06-2021, 19:12   #5560
jfman
Architect of Ideas

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=4015

“We cannot afford another lockdown” 16 June 20.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=4143

“We need to get to herd immunity” 21 June

Yet now we have a vaccination programme it doesn’t matter about getting there evidently. Open up!

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=4777

“The UK is not a suitable place for Brits to holiday in because:

1. Lack of good weather.
2. High prices when compared with abroad.
3. Run down holiday towns.
4. Lack of good accommodation and facilities.
5. Expensive drinks and food.”

I liked that one.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=4887

A late comeback for “just shield the vulnerable” 2 August 20

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=5335

“We may not get that second wave” 6 September 20.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=5625

“Hospital admissions remain very low” 15 September 20.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=5904

“If we get a vaccine, then we have a solution” 22 September 20.

Indeed we do, so why not give it the best chance?

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...2&postcount=79

“Certainly, there should be no mandatory restrictions. The public should be advised on how to behave during the pandemic and to stay away from vulnerable friends and relatives” 12 October 20 -

I note nothing about those who don’t have a choice unpaid carers who also work in public facing environments.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=2150

“ The emergency measures are necessary only until the vaccine has reduced hospital admissions to a safe level. The vaccine alone should ensure that happens by February or March.” 30 December 20.

I’ve tried really hard OB but whatever data says you always have fundamentally the same message that restrictions should be removed imminently, regardless of whether we are entering a new wave or exiting one.

Last edited by jfman; 03-06-2021 at 19:17.
Old 03-06-2021, 20:03   #5561
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

*Yawn* Have you nothing better to do ?

Most restrictions could be removed on June 21st, and I'd definitely like them to be.
Some are already unnecessary and based on faulty beliefs (there is no real evidence of people catching it via touch)

Will they be removed ? My bet atm is no, probably not until at least July.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 03-06-2021, 20:21   #5562
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

You’re clearly not paying attention to the new data, but I find that completely unsurprising. If the Government can support businesses for fifteen months they can support them for sixteen.
And exactly what new data do you find so compelling in the light of who is vulnerable and the current vaccine rollout?

Considering your dislike of straw men, you don’t half like clutching at straws!
Old 03-06-2021, 20:27   #5563
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
And exactly what new data do you find so compelling in the light of who is vulnerable and the current vaccine rollout?

Considering your dislike of straw men, you don’t half like clutching at straws!
A more transmissible variant putting vaccinated (largely one dose) people in hospital. That is an 8 week delay to getting the similar projected one dose efficacy for the Astrazenica vaccine into the population. As herd immunity man I thought you'd have worked that out easily enough.

I'll heed Paul's nudge above. Everyone can read the posts for themselves and decide.
Old 03-06-2021, 20:28   #5564
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
For all those who wonder what's going on in this thread . . .

Spot on.
Old 03-06-2021, 20:43   #5565
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
You’ve explained that you misunderstood but not explained how, in light of new information you reach the same conclusion? It’s almost as if it’s nothing to do with the data, nothing to do with the vaccination programme, nothing to do with variants.

At least just level with us and say you despise how Covid has extended the role and function of the state, and it’s exposure of the myth of private sector efficiency through the PPE contracts and test and trace.

The data could literally say anything and you’d push no restrictions from June 22, because you’ve opposed restrictions all along. It’s bare naked dogmatic ideology we all see through.
Perhaps you would like to explain how this data changes anything, given the vaccine rollout.

You are trying desperately to turn this into a political argument. I am not arguing politics. I am arguing that these unprecedented restrictions are destroying people’s businesses, livelihoods and people’s hopes for the future. You are clutching at straws to find any reason you can hold onto to extend their pain, and at any cost.

I am at a loss to explain any motivation other than a purely political or otherwise disruptive reason you may have for this cruelty.

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Spot on.
That bloody mouse just won’t shut up!