Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24-03-2021, 22:58   #4291
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Lockdowns work overall - of course they do. It just depends what your “overall” is. The overall aim of a lockdown is to get transmission low enough for hospitals and the economy to function. The overall aim is not to eliminate covid from the population, regardless of what anyone says (Nicola Sturgeon liked to suggest she had a zero covid strategy in the early days ... she has quietly dropped that now). For quite some time now it has been acknowledged that a vaccine is the only actual exit route from the disruption to our lives.
Advertisement
Old 24-03-2021, 23:02   #4292
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Define what works means in this context? They clearly work in reducing pressure on hospitals as you say and they work in reducing transmission, cases and deaths as well.
My context is clear, you added "and" on as well. Now you have to show 12 months on where transmission and deaths has been reduced. Cases I have ignored as these could include asymptomaic or false positives. You got to love the Government for highlighting "cases" rather those who are actually suffering from it.
Helps SAGE with their scaremongering.

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Lockdowns work overall - of course they do. It just depends what your “overall” is. The overall aim of a lockdown is to get transmission low enough for hospitals and the economy to function. The overall aim is not to eliminate covid from the population, regardless of what anyone says (Nicola Sturgeon liked to suggest she had a zero covid strategy in the early days ... she has quietly dropped that now). For quite some time now it has been acknowledged that a vaccine is the only actual exit route from the disruption to our lives.
I'm sorry Chris, but I disagree and the answer will only come out afterwards. It only delayed the spread rightly to reduce NHS pressure.
Old 24-03-2021, 23:17   #4293
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
More tosh Old Boy.

Surely the EU can just "shield the vulnerable"?

I see you've at least dropped that ludicrous tagline from beneath your user name.

The fact other governments could have made better decisions is neither here nor there to your original claim that I debunked - as I say it's a matter of public record - that they ignored SAGE advice on both lockdowns and this had a catastrophic impact modelled as tens of thousands of deaths.
Shielding the vulnerable was perfectly sensible before we had the vaccine, because without that all we could do was slow it down.

As I said, there were other aspects over and above the Sage advice that needed to be taken account of. The government listened to ALL the arguments. Taking a different decision does not necessarily mean you ignored the advice. It was not taken for the reasons we will hear about when the review is forthcoming.
Old 25-03-2021, 00:09   #4294
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Shielding the vulnerable was perfectly sensible before we had the vaccine, because without that all we could do was slow it down.

As I said, there were other aspects over and above the Sage advice that needed to be taken account of. The government listened to ALL the arguments. Taking a different decision does not necessarily mean you ignored the advice. It was not taken for the reasons we will hear about when the review is forthcoming.
You mean that review in at least 5yrs or do we have to wait for lockdown to end in 10 before it starts?
Old 25-03-2021, 04:41   #4295
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

To those of you wondering about the Zoe app Maggy posted earlier (perhaps not this tread) here's more info.

Old 25-03-2021, 06:47   #4296
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
So SAGE become the Government. What a stupid uninformed point of view.
No worse than your ability to read, evidently.

Quote:
The Government have to take in advice from many areas, attempt to weigh the pro's and con's and proceed accordingly.
Indeed, it’s Government responsibility for the outcomes as I was stating to Old Boy. The Government tried to drag the “three week” lockdown to the Easter holidays as it’d have less economic impact. Not Whitty, not SAGE...

Quote:
Don't forget the SAGE advice was based on modelling since shown inept at best.
Has it?

Quote:
The current models for unlocking are not based on seasonal changes or actual vaccine take up so how can they be trusted?

Cases reducing, hospitalisation reducing, deaths reducing P-leasssse.

It has still yet to be proven that lockdowns actually work, they may in the short term to reduce pressure on hospitals but do they work overall?

Many people look to the far east to prove the effectivence of lockdowns/mask wearing without factoring in societal differences.

New Zealand is often brought up as an example but far easier to control the spread than any other 1st world country.

As Society is responsible for everything it does for and on behalf of itself why should any Government need to legislate what that society does?
Ah the “societal differences” trope.

As for your final point why have a speed limit? Require seatbelts? There’s a whole swathe of activity Governments don’t trust individuals with.

---------- Post added at 06:47 ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

So European folk aren’t at risk despite a stalling vaccine rollout? It can only be one or the other, OB.

I eagerly await the review. The trailers for the bold Dom’s evidence have been good so far.
Old 25-03-2021, 08:41   #4297
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
To those of you wondering about the Zoe app Maggy posted earlier (perhaps not this tread) here's more info.

Not me gov,unless the covid vaccination has affected my memory.
Old 25-03-2021, 09:01   #4298
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

It was joglynne (I’ve been taking part too, along with 4.6 million others)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 25-03-2021, 09:31   #4299
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
It has still yet to be proven that lockdowns actually work, they may in the short term to reduce pressure on hospitals but do they work overall?

As Society is responsible for everything it does for and on behalf of itself why should any Government need to legislate what that society does?
The experience from the Spanish Flu says yes, lockdowns work - https://www.nationalgeographic.com/h...ic-coronavirus (more formal study here - https://www.pnas.org/content/104/18/7582 )

On your second comment, it falls down when public health is involved unless society provides its' own healthcare service. It's governments role to keep us safe. It's why we have the police, army, etc. If suggesting and asking nicely to act safely doesn't work, then governments legislate. It's why we have speed limits. As I have said before, we in the UK are 'soft' when it comes to healthcare as we know that the NHS will always be there if we mess up. If that safety net weren't present, people would be a lot more careful!

Libertariansim like communism is a nice idea on paper but doesn't work in the real world.
Old 25-03-2021, 10:12   #4300
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Ahhh, how right you are.

Sorry Maggy.
Old 25-03-2021, 10:22   #4301
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Yup Hugh, twas me. Nice to know someone else who has been taking part.

Just in case anyone else would care to take part, here's a link to the app which also contains links to all the reports and updates that have been posted so far.

https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/the-2...eid=cf0968cd42

It honestly only takes a minute a day to fill in your current health level, and you can even add other people to your app.
Old 25-03-2021, 12:30   #4302
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Us Brits can strike back at the EU and boycott all EU countries for holiday.

Go to Iceland, Norway or Switzerland none of which are in the EU.
Old 25-03-2021, 12:51   #4303
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post

I think we'll all be holidaying in the UK this year through necessity not choice. And Switzerland has not yet approved the AstraZeneca vaccine, so I'm not sure if they would consider you vaccinated if you've had that vaccine.
Old 25-03-2021, 12:53   #4304
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post

Nothing shouts golden summer seaside tan more than those destinations
Old 25-03-2021, 13:10   #4305
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quite a nice graphic here from AstraZeneca on the Covid vaccine process from development to distribution.
https://www.astrazeneca.com/what-sci...the-globe.html
Closed Thread