Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can-t get 600meg on my set up

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Can-t get 600meg on my set up

Old 11-06-2021, 13:54   #16
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB
Re: Can-t get 600meg on my set up

Request a white box from samknows. When installed it gives you speeds over the month then just take that info to VM support. Every month the SK reports less than the speed you should have. £50 credit ����

Took me 6 months but they had to pay out and in the end it was the increase from 500mb to 600mb that fixed mine I think.
JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2021, 18:17   #17
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
Request a white box from samknows. When installed it gives you speeds over the month then just take that info to VM support. Every month the SK reports less than the speed you should have. £50 credit ����

Took me 6 months but they had to pay out and in the end it was the increase from 500mb to 600mb that fixed mine I think.
My Samknows whitebox reports lower speeds to my router thanto my iPad over wififrom the router.
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 19:33   #18
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I'm getting 660Mb/s download via Ethernet on the same model router.

Enabling QoS kills the speed - but the documentation says it isn't required at those speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Yesterday I upgraded to the Ultimate Ooomph. SH3

I can upload to 40meg, but I top out at 300meg on both wifi and wired on my device.

It dawned on me this morning it must be the router "Netgear Nighthawk X6" that can't handle.

So is there a setting i need to do in this or do I have to get another router?

If so what is the best router to get
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 21:44   #19
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

I’ve disable QOS, since upgrading from 500 to 600 my speeds have gone up. I now get high 200’s
I’ve ordered a new router.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:59   #20
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Reading the thread it sounds as if nobody has confirmed the speeds incoming from VM and just assumed the router was at fault? Must be worth plugging directly in to the SH3 and testing, even in modem mode, a quick reboot when connecting a new device and it will work
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 17:26   #21
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Netgear's Traffic Meter seems to hit the speed too - disable that if running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbxxl View Post
I’ve disable QOS, since upgrading from 500 to 600 my speeds have gone up. I now get high 200’s
I’ve ordered a new router.
Old 12-06-2021, 17:53   #22
bbxxl
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Netgear's Traffic Meter seems to hit the speed too - disable that if running.
Thanks for the suggestion. Disabling Traffic Meter doesn’t seem to have made any difference.
Old 12-06-2021, 17:55   #23
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Have you tried bypassing the Netgear and testing the speed direct on the SH?

May even be worth doing a factory reset on the Netgear.

Have you got Armor Security running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbxxl View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Disabling Traffic Meter doesn’t seem to have made any difference.
Old 12-06-2021, 21:26   #24
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
Reading the thread it sounds as if nobody has confirmed the speeds incoming from VM and just assumed the router was at fault? Must be worth plugging directly in to the SH3 and testing, even in modem mode, a quick reboot when connecting a new device, and it will work

So I log in to the modem on 192.168.100.1 and change from modem to router mode.

Then reboot, the plug my laptop into the modem, do a speed test.

Once this is done, log into the modem on 192.168.0.1 and change back to modem mode. Reboot and this won't affect the static IPs I have in the router.

I really don't want to do a factory reset on the router, as it's too hot to re-enter all the static IPs again
Old 13-06-2021, 00:22   #25
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
So I log in to the modem on 192.168.100.1 and change from modem to router mode.

Then reboot, the plug my laptop into the modem, do a speed test.

Once this is done, log into the modem on 192.168.0.1 and change back to modem mode. Reboot and this won't affect the static IPs I have in the router.

I really don't want to do a factory reset on the router, as it's too hot to re-enter all the static IPs again
You can plug your laptop directly into the modem whilst it’s in modem mode, you just have to reboot it every time you change device connected to it.
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 12:19   #26
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

It will do 600mbit with hardware acceleration of all types (CTF, FA, etc) all enabled.

Turning on advanced features like QoS, traffic meter, site blocking, MAC address cloning and PPPoE will kill HW Acceleration and force all traffic to go through CPU.

A Unifi Dream Machine is an example of a router that can forward at gigabit rates without having to turn everything off.

A Unifi Dream Machine Pro is a router that can go up to 10GBit, or 3.5GBit with IPS/IDS on, although unlike the non-pro it then doesn't have in built wireless and you'd need to use external APs.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 10:20   #27
bbxxl
cf.addict

As I posted in another thread, I got an ASUS AX-88U and with my Nighthawk I was getting 200Mb until I upgraded to 600 when I got 275

I plugged in my ASUS and, after a bit of messing round with the settings, I was soon getting 655

Very happy.

But…

With the Nighthawk I got 275 in my bedroom on the 2nd floor and throughout the house. With the ASUS I get 655 in the study on the ground floor, 250ish on the first floor and, if I can connect at all, about 150 in the bedroom.

I think I’ll go back to the nighthawk.
Old 26-06-2021, 10:36   #28
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Or you could get a second Asus router and setup a mesh network
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote