Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UTP Cable Wiring Nightmare

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UTP Cable Wiring Nightmare

Old 14-02-2013, 22:23   #1
rumelk
Inactive

rumelk is an unknown quantity at this point
UTP Cable Wiring Nightmare

Hi All

I've decided to changed the Cat 5 ethernet cables at home to Cat 6, to make file sharing faster. THis is the kit i brought off ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1109597300...84.m1423.l2649

When making the patch leads of around 1metre the gigabit side of things are working perfectly. However I made a lead which was 30 metres long and for some reason it is only 100mb ethernet as opposed to the gigabit that it should be.

this is the way the patch leads are wired up

http://www.beginnercode.com/wp-conte...ng_Diagram.gif

Can anybody shed some light on this, I've checked the cabling to make sure theres no cracks/dents etc and also to eliminate this further have also make a second cable of 30m and still the same 100m ethernet. The 1 metre patch lead was wired up in exactly the same way and gives out gigabit speeds.

Should i be looking into some sort of amplificaton....

Any help would be great.

Many Thanks

R
rumelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-02-2013, 07:43   #2
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Re: UTP Cable Wiring Nightmare

CAT 5 & 6 are capable of Gb Ethernet speeds. Try another cable? Is the NIC capable of Gb? Is is set to run at 1Gb - check the NIC settings to make sure it's not fixed on 100Mb. What happens when you force it to 1Gb?
Old 15-02-2013, 10:12   #3
rumelk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
CAT 5 & 6 are capable of Gb Ethernet speeds. Try another cable? Is the NIC capable of Gb? Is is set to run at 1Gb - check the NIC settings to make sure it's not fixed on 100Mb. What happens when you force it to 1Gb?
I've tried another cable (shorter in length) and works fine even tried with different laptops, they all have 1GB connections. How would you force it be at 1GB?

Its just this crimped cable that i've made which is 25m+ which doesn't want to work. But the shorter cable i crimped at about 1.5m works fine at gigabit.....

Many Thanks
Old 15-02-2013, 11:15   #4
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumelk View Post
How would you force it be at 1GB?
NIC settings in Device Manager. Should be fine up to 100m.
Old 15-02-2013, 12:15   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I would suspect that one of the eight cables isn't electrically connected in the socket / plug you have attached. It's very easy to get it not quite right. Presumably you have some form of cable tester?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:23   #6
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I would suspect that one of the eight cables isn't electrically connected in the socket / plug you have attached. It's very easy to get it not quite right. Presumably you have some form of cable tester?
Rob, the op says he made a second cable of 30 metres and thats the same, so the chances of him getting it wrong twice are pretty slim (but still possible as they can be fiddly little suckers at best )

My money is on inferior grade cable but it's just a hunch
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 15:01   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I've had some gigabit routers that do not always detect gig connections and revert to 100 speeds. Often simply plugging the same lead into a different port sets things correctly. Sometimes you have to reboot stuff. Bit of a black art really, But I'd want to be certain of the cables as much as the kit connected at either end.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 15:30   #8
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I've had some gigabit routers that do not always detect gig connections and revert to 100 speeds. Often simply plugging the same lead into a different port sets things correctly. Sometimes you have to reboot stuff. Bit of a black art really, But I'd want to be certain of the cables as much as the kit connected at either end.
Good point,,, I never thought of that

Oddly enough on my recently modded WRT610N running Openwrt, the lan lights change colours, e.g. when I power up my PS3, the light on the lan port of the router is green yet when I switch my xbox on it is blue.

I don't know which colour symbolises gig throughput yet though.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 03:41   #9
rumelk
Inactive

Thanks for all the input.

Rob:
I've tested the cables with a network cable tester and connections are fine, also plugged into several different ports on the GS108. (has lights on the switch to determine whether gigabit or 100m is being operated)

Pabscars:

My hunch is also on the cheap/inferior quality cabling, however can it really make that much difference, it is still solid 26AWG cable and even states on the houseing CAT 6e??

LSainsburys:
Can you be a bit mor specific please, as i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to tweaking network cards etc, running windows 7 pro 32bit.

Many Thanks
Old 16-02-2013, 09:32   #10
MJPS
Inactive

Services: VM 30Meg
MJPS is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hi All

I've decided to changed the Cat 5 ethernet cables at home to Cat 6, to make file sharing faster. THis is the kit i brought off ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1109597300...84.m1423.l2649

When making the patch leads of around 1metre the gigabit side of things are working perfectly. However I made a lead which was 30 metres long and for some reason it is only 100mb ethernet as opposed to the gigabit that it should be.

this is the way the patch leads are wired up

http://www.beginnercode.com/wp-conte...ng_Diagram.gif

Can anybody shed some light on this, I've checked the cabling to make sure theres no cracks/dents etc and also to eliminate this further have also make a second cable of 30m and still the same 100m ethernet. The 1 metre patch lead was wired up in exactly the same way and gives out gigabit speeds.

Should i be looking into some sort of amplificaton....

Any help would be great.

Many Thanks

R
Hi everyone
I have come across something like this before and it was down to external rf interference, I have to admit it was in an industrial environment though.
MJPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 11:34   #11
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

It's not just the rating of the cable that is the determining factor. Length and course of the cable run and quality of the connections at each end can and do effect speed.

Each of the four pairs of a UTP cable had a different twist ratio to minimize crosstalk between pairs. Obviously to terminate the cable you have the untwist each pair in order to terminate, it's this "untwisting" thats probably causing you problems.

Short cable + bit of crosstalk = still an acceptable signal to noise ratio for 1GB speeds

longer cable + bit of crosstalk = higher signal to noise ratio, so equipment negotiates down to 100Mb(as it can work with the higher SNR)

*also as stated by MJPS, final route of the cable can also have the same effect, don't run UTP parallel to electrical cable, or even worse, over florescent lights and switch mode power supplies.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 14:52   #12
rumelk
Inactive

Thanks for your replies.

MJPS:
I had the same idea too, so when making the second 30m cable it wasn't pinned against the walls but rather still in the roll, once connected to a pc, was still showing 100mb.

Jon T:
The entire cable of cat 6 is twisted tightly, but do you think by untwisting only by the clips is enough for it to drop from gb to 100mb?

Many Thanks
Old 17-02-2013, 03:13   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Lol, cheapo mislabelled ebay fakes.

Cat6e does not exist.

Most cheap crappy cable off eBay will fail to meet Cat5 specifications beyond 20m. Buy proper cable.

---------- Post added at 03:12 ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
My money is on inferior grade cable but it's just a hunch
This.

---------- Post added at 03:13 ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 ----------

Quote:
My hunch is also on the cheap/inferior quality cabling, however can it really make that much difference, it is still solid 26AWG cable and even states on the houseing CAT 6e??
It's clearly poor if they have to make up non-existent categories and fake claims about the cable to sell it.

Cat 6 should be 22-24AWG. 26AWG is pathetic and way too small, less than half the size it's supposed to be. That cable is probably closer to category 4.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 03:32   #14
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Google shows up that cat6e does exist Qas? I wouldn't trust ebay though as you said. not even for a cat5 cable.

two links randomly picked...

http://www.ehow.com/about_6521486_sp...6e-cables.html

http://www.binbert.com/blog/2010/05/...-cat6e-cables/
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 13:25   #15
rumelk
Inactive

Thanks for your replies.

I think i'm going to have to report this to ebay, and try and get my money back. Its a bit anoying as i'm going to have to remove the pins out of the walls and redo it!!

This is what the cables looks like

I need about 100m in total, any recommendations as to where to purchase? needs to be uncrimped or on a roll of some sort.

Many Thanks