Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media UK Discounts Gigabit Broadband to GBP50.99

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New VM O2 joint venture to reach 7m homes and to wholesale access to competitors

Old 30-01-2022, 22:05   #1
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
New VM O2 joint venture to reach 7m homes and to wholesale access to competitors

Quote:
Telefónica and Liberty Global, who oversaw the merger of Virgin Media and O2 to create the enlarged group last year, will begin contacting potential investors this week but some informal discussions have already begun, according to a person with knowledge of the plan.

Virgin Media O2 is already upgrading its fibre network to around 15.5m premises by the end of 2028.

The new venture, which will be separate from this, is aiming to build out a new full-fibre network that will provide connectivity to an additional 7m homes, primarily in areas that currently only use copper lines and which are served by BT.
https://www.ft.com/content/5bbf83b8-...0-5a84f3c1b26f
Sky News article: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...?ocid=msedgntp

Last edited by 1andrew1; 30-01-2022 at 22:55.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2022, 09:23   #2
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: New VM O2 joint venture to reach 7m homes and to wholesale access to competitors

This is just VM trying to get Liberty Networks off the ground again.

from this time last year:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...e-sibling.html
Old 01-02-2022, 09:34   #3
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: New VM O2 joint venture to reach 7m homes and to wholesale access to competitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
This is just VM trying to get Liberty Networks off the ground again.

from this time last year:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...e-sibling.html
That's actually from this time not one but two years ago! But your point remains valid.
Old 01-02-2022, 18:31   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Lots of talk about "upgrading" but when am I actually going to get fibre to my house.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 20:18   #5
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Lots of talk about "upgrading" but when am I actually going to get fibre to my house.
If you’re already in a HFC area, anytime in the next 10 - 15 years as long as the money doesn’t run out.
Old 01-02-2022, 20:19   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
If you’re already in a HFC area, anytime in the next 10 - 15 years as long as the money doesn’t run out.
Great, so I have to hope I last that long to even see it

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 21:03   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It's supposed to be in the next 6 years - by 2028

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...ull-fibre.html
Old 02-02-2022, 21:15   #8
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It's supposed to be in the next 6 years - by 2028

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...ull-fibre.html
I’m happy to be wrong. It’s 2022 and the actual management team to deliver this has only just been assembled. They are trialling it now in 3 areas. It will be several months before it is ramped up to full scale, I doubt very much they can overbuild all of the HFC in just over 5 years.

There’s a misconception that the overbuild will be quick and relatively inexpensive because of the existing VM duct network. If the existing HFC fibre & copper cables weren’t in-situ that may be more the case but the HFC & FTTP must coexist. There are lots of places where the duct are full, so new ducts will be required. Some existing cabinets can be converted for dual use but mostly new cabinets will be required.

I’m probably being pessimistic with 10yrs, but just over 5yrs? Not a chance.

VM will still invest in DOCSIS, which will deliver 10G over HFC, so if you have to make decisions on where to spend money. They will continue to spend on FTTP network expansion as that is new business and customer expansion - that’s a given. But if we’re 2-3 years into Mustang and It’s proving to be more expensive than envisaged and spend decisions need to be made. You’ll scale back Mustang (not stop it) and push on with NetEx as that is giving you a better return on your money.
Old 02-02-2022, 21:56   #9
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I’m happy to be wrong. It’s 2022 and the actual management team to deliver this has only just been assembled. They are trialling it now in 3 areas. It will be several months before it is ramped up to full scale, I doubt very much they can overbuild all of the HFC in just over 5 years.

There’s a misconception that the overbuild will be quick and relatively inexpensive because of the existing VM duct network. If the existing HFC fibre & copper cables weren’t in-situ that may be more the case but the HFC & FTTP must coexist. There are lots of places where the duct are full, so new ducts will be required. Some existing cabinets can be converted for dual use but mostly new cabinets will be required.

I’m probably being pessimistic with 10yrs, but just over 5yrs? Not a chance.

VM will still invest in DOCSIS, which will deliver 10G over HFC, so if you have to make decisions on where to spend money. They will continue to spend on FTTP network expansion as that is new business and customer expansion - that’s a given. But if we’re 2-3 years into Mustang and It’s proving to be more expensive than envisaged and spend decisions need to be made. You’ll scale back Mustang (not stop it) and push on with NetEx as that is giving you a better return on your money.
As an outsider, I must admit I struggle to see the benefit of running two networks in parallel unless you don't want to take the short-term hit of moving customers over to the new network. Double costs, double confusion, surely? Unless you envisage different ownership structures for the two networks.

But I speak as someone outside the sector and this is VM O2's area of expertise and not mine!
Old 02-02-2022, 22:24   #10
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
As an outsider, I must admit I struggle to see the benefit of running two networks in parallel unless you don't want to take the short-term hit of moving customers over to the new network. Double costs, double confusion, surely? Unless you envisage different ownership structures for the two networks.

But I speak as someone outside the sector and this is VM O2's area of expertise and not mine!
You have to, there’s no other choice. You can’t give your customers an either/ or ultimatum.

Give them a better option and they will move, when enough have moved announce the shutdown of the HFC ( I’ve been advised 2045 total and absolute nationally, so obviously it will start area by area many years before that) and the remainder will have to move.