Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Finally True Broadband Competition!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Finally True Broadband Competition!

Old 12-10-2020, 15:30   #1
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 360 1TB x2, Maxit TV, M Phone, Hub 5 @ 350/36Mb
crazyronnie is on a distinguished roadcrazyronnie is on a distinguished road
Finally True Broadband Competition!

I had this letter through the door a fews days ago from Community Fibre. What surprised me was it seems like they're rolling out to houses now! As far as i knew they were just installing in apartment buildings.

I've been with Virgin (Videotron, Cable & Wireless, NTL) since they came to my area in the early 90's. BT haven't been a true competitor when it comes to broadband speeds ever where i live. The highest speed through a phone line i could get was 55Mb down and 15Mb up.

I'm just glad to be able to have access to true FTTP internet at a really really good price.

oh, I'm in NW London btw...anyone else who live in houses had a similar letter through the door?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-10-12 at 14.18.07.jpg (166.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 12-10-2020, 15:54   #2
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: Finally True Broadband Competition!

Good and bad news.
I doubt this supplier offer a TV services which means you’ll need to look elsewhere for TV as Virgin Media V6 and the upcoming TV 360 require Virgin Media broadband.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 16:08   #3
crazyronnie
cf.addict

yeh, community fibre seem to only provide broadband, no tv or landline. TBH the only thing that has kept me a Virgin Media customer is the broadband speed and it made sense to get their tv, broadband and phone line as it tends to work out cheaper than having sky for tv and broadband with virgin. But i'll weigh up all the options once community fibre have laid the fibre in my road and start accepting orders. By then virgin may have the tv360 available and promotions running
Old 12-10-2020, 17:37   #4
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyronnie View Post
yeh, community fibre seem to only provide broadband, no tv or landline. TBH the only thing that has kept me a Virgin Media customer is the broadband speed and it made sense to get their tv, broadband and phone line as it tends to work out cheaper than having sky for tv and broadband with virgin. But i'll weigh up all the options once community fibre have laid the fibre in my road and start accepting orders. By then virgin may have the tv360 available and promotions running
Frankly, how much of that TV do you watch? Most of is is garbage. Why not depend on Freeview and buy into what streaming service you really want. You'd have enough bandwidth!

If you really want it I suppose you could explore keeping VM for its TV, but on the lowest tier, £33, whilst taking the good FTTP deal. Get yourself a router that will accept dual WAN and away you go.
roughbeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 17:58   #5
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Frankly, how much of that TV do you watch? Most of is is garbage. Why not depend on Freeview and buy into what streaming service you really want. You'd have enough bandwidth!

If you really want it I suppose you could explore keeping VM for its TV, but on the lowest tier, £33, whilst taking the good FTTP deal. Get yourself a router that will accept dual WAN and away you go.
Honestly not a lot, just things like discovery and those channels. Most of my viewing is from streaming services like netflix and amazon prime.

Like you said i'd have the bandwidth which will be great for offsite backups from the NAS.

It's all very exciting...i'll be like a kid watching the road being dug up and the fibre being put down. I just hope the Ubiquiti Edgerouter X i have has Gigabit throughput on the WAN side.
Old 13-10-2020, 16:42   #6
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Their gigabyte price is £49 per month, does anyone know what the price would be when Virgin get gigabyte?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 17:05   #7
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Their gigabyte price is £49 per month, does anyone know what the price would be when Virgin get gigabyte?
Currently Virgin Offers their Gig1 service @£62p/m which is available to 9 cities at the moment. But the speed is not symmetrical based on the current DOCSIS 3.1 standards. I believe its 1104Mbps down and 50Mbps up.
Old 15-10-2020, 12:39   #8
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

There is always Sky for TV if you must have pay-tv.

As soon as Cityfibre finish their rollout (currently deploying in my town) I'll be all over them for 900/900.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 16:15   #9
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyronnie View Post
Honestly not a lot, just things like discovery and those channels. Most of my viewing is from streaming services like netflix and amazon prime.

Like you said i'd have the bandwidth which will be great for offsite backups from the NAS.

It's all very exciting...i'll be like a kid watching the road being dug up and the fibre being put down. I just hope the Ubiquiti Edgerouter X i have has Gigabit throughput on the WAN side.
Looks like it is up to it with 941Mb WAN to LAN throughput. I'm assuming this is your model in the list. That's all you will need on VM's 1.1Gb service, because the ethernet ports are only 1Gb anyway. That bandwidth is for sharing across your network between hungry devices. With the City Fibre / Vodaphone symmetrical 900Mb you are well set up too.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tool...-to-lan-tcp/35
roughbeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 14:26   #10
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Good and bad news.
I doubt this supplier offer a TV services which means you’ll need to look elsewhere for TV as Virgin Media V6 and the upcoming TV 360 require Virgin Media broadband.
It very unlikely that any alt-net will provide a TV product.

So with your new 1G connection should you get it, you will have to use OTT services on your smart TV, should it be smart enough.

Now TV, Amazon prime, Disney +, Apple TV et al and if you want to record you'll have to get some kind of DVR, though you don't really need them nowadays with so much on demand content. Not sure if you can pause things like live football you're streaming.

Personally I think there is still a place for TV provider like Virgin/ Sky.

I have all the usual streaming services above and Sky Q
Old 19-10-2020, 15:33   #11
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Looks like it is up to it with 941Mb WAN to LAN throughput. I'm assuming this is your model in the list. That's all you will need on VM's 1.1Gb service, because the ethernet ports are only 1Gb anyway. That bandwidth is for sharing across your network between hungry devices. With the City Fibre / Vodaphone symmetrical 900Mb you are well set up too.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tool...-to-lan-tcp/35
ah thanks for that! thats the router i have
Old 19-10-2020, 16:35   #12
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

But when u can buy a 2.5GB Nic for £13 quid its a steal.........

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1-po...i-express-card
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote