Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)
Closed Thread

Old 26-09-2018, 12:36   #2266
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Another music channel goes to the dogs with VH-1 becoming a lifestyle channel. I really liked this music channel when we first got it on cable - I think it is a real pity that its programming changed, and this is the last straw. I won't be watching VH-1 ever again now.

Just as well we have YouTube.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2018...style-channel/
It's the right decision.

The music video channel genre has been in decline for a very long time and MTV has plenty of others.

VH1 UK will now align with the US channel and allow for greater content sharing and brand development.

They need to get VH1 UK a presence on social media by the time it re-launches.

Last edited by SonicMaster; 26-09-2018 at 12:45.
Advertisement
Old 26-09-2018, 13:08   #2267
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
It's the right decision.

The music video channel genre has been in decline for a very long time and MTV has plenty of others.

VH1 UK will now align with the US channel and allow for greater content sharing and brand development.

They need to get VH1 UK a presence on social media by the time it re-launches.
Maybe so, but to replace it with a crappy lifestyle channel?
Old 26-09-2018, 13:21   #2268
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Maybe so, but to replace it with a crappy lifestyle channel?
You may think of it as a 'crappy lifestyle channel' but there is an audience for this kind of thing...

ITVBe, Really, TLC, Lifetime, E! etc are all in this space but Viacom are not as yet - so it makes perfect sense.
Old 26-09-2018, 13:35   #2269
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Just read that Box Nation has been removed from Sky, is it still broadcasting on VM (I don't subscribe to it)?
They've closed their HD channel on SKY. The standard definition version of the channel is still up and running. Part of a cost cutting exercise to keep the channel going ever since Frank Warren took his stable of fighters over to BT Sport.
Old 26-09-2018, 14:07   #2270
cje85
cf.member

cje85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
They've closed their HD channel on SKY. The standard definition version of the channel is still up and running. Part of a cost cutting exercise to keep the channel going ever since Frank Warren took his stable of fighters over to BT Sport.
Box Nation HD only broadcast live PPV fights which now air on BT Sport Box Office instead.

BT and Box Nation have a partnership which includes sharing rights to certain events and Box Nation being offered as part of the BT Sport Pack.

https://www.boxnation.com/boxing-new...and-boxnation/
Old 26-09-2018, 19:16   #2271
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0363 View Post
Don't know if this has been mentioned or not! From the "Customer News" section on the V6 box (Home>Help&Settings>Help>Customer News>HD as Standard recordings &...):

" We want you to enjoy your favourite TV at its best, so we're swapping some of your standard definition channels for their high definition versions.

This means you'll lose some standard definition channels from your TV guide, but they'll be replaced with their better looking counterparts.

In some cases you might lose your standard definition recordings after 3 months if they were taken from a channel that is now "vacant".

You might also have to adjust your Series Link for these channels (if you use them) or switch to using Series Link+ to make sure you're getting episodes from all available channels.

Plus, don't forget that recorded HD programmes will take up more space on your TV Box."
Really not sure what I think about this. Yes of course 90% of the time I record in HD given the choice, but particularly if you have extended holiday it can be useful to have the option of dropping series-links to SD to increase storage space.

A couple of years ago I was abroad for 6weeks over christmas, and dropping everything except serial drama & natural-history stuff to SD made the difference between an overflowing box and "getting away with it".
Old 26-09-2018, 19:24   #2272
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Really not sure what I think about this. Yes of course 90% of the time I record in HD given the choice, but particularly if you have extended holiday it can be useful to have the option of dropping series-links to SD to increase storage space.

A couple of years ago I was abroad for 6weeks over christmas, and dropping everything except serial drama & natural-history stuff to SD made the difference between an overflowing box and "getting away with it".
Remember that since then the HD channels have been moved to MPEG4 whilst the SD channels are still MPEG2.

So although there is a difference between the two, HD takes up a lot less disk space than it did and if you did the same again, you'd probably be fine with the six weeks in HD now.

Last edited by BenMcr; 26-09-2018 at 19:29.
Old 26-09-2018, 19:30   #2273
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Remember that the HD channels are now MPEG4 whilst the SD channels are still MPEG2.

So although there is a difference between the two, HD takes up a lot less disk space than it did.
True, but I still don't understand why the V6, with its ability to provide programmes in UHD, was only provided with a 1TB hard drive.
Old 26-09-2018, 19:39   #2274
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I have no idea what the reasoning behind it was, so can't really comment on that.

But look at it this way - we used to have MPEG 2 SD and HD with the relevant file size differences

HD has moved to MPEG4 which brings it closer to the MPEG2 sizes of SD.

The UHD channels are HVEC which brings them close to the size of the HD channels when they were on MPEG2.

So it's not far off 'standing still' when it comes to recording space needs, but we will end up with better quality recordings for the same file size usage.
Old 26-09-2018, 20:04   #2275
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

I would suggest the current capacity is around 400 hours HD or 100 hours UHD or mix thereof.
The V6 is not an archiving box but a box to provide convenient playback of recordings.
Certainly, for me, there’s more than enough space. I rarely go above 10% usage.
Old 26-09-2018, 21:00   #2276
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The UHD channels are broadcasting at a higher bitrate than the MPEG 2 variants.
Old 26-09-2018, 21:11   #2277
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I would suggest the current capacity is around 400 hours HD or 100 hours UHD or mix thereof.
The V6 is not an archiving box but a box to provide convenient playback of recordings.
Certainly, for me, there’s more than enough space. I rarely go above 10% usage.
It really depends how you use the box. I record everything I'm likely to watch and the watch it at my convenience. So it's not archiving, it's simplybto ensure that I don't miss those shows.

Currently, I have 2 V6s and a DVD recorder, and that is barely sufficient.
Old 26-09-2018, 21:49   #2278
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

I appreciate that everyone’s different but how long would it take to watch 400 hours of recordings? Answer 7 weeks if you watch 8 hours a day and that’s without recording any more.
I suggest that 1TB is more than enough for timeslip watching. Anything more, I would suggest, is archiving material.
Old 26-09-2018, 22:08   #2279
Frazz
cf.addict

Services: 2 x tivo TV XL with movie and sport 500Mb broadband phone talk anytime Unlimited mobile phone sim
Frazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about them

Is the TiVo able to take an external hard drive like the Xbox or PS4
Old 26-09-2018, 22:41   #2280
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazz View Post
Is the TiVo able to take an external hard drive like the Xbox or PS4
No.
Closed Thread