Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Homeplugs - Any Good?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Homeplugs - Any Good?

Old 07-09-2007, 21:35   #16
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Homeplugs - Any Good?

ok, pleasantly surprised.

Bought a set of 85mbps ones. plugged one in upstairs, plugged one downstairs, into a surge protected block plug.

All works.

not sure what speed i'm getting but for the moment, I'm happy enough it works
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2007, 19:38   #17
ECW_Original
Permanently Banned

Services: VM landline, XL TV, V+ & Samsung STB, XXXs BB(20Mb running at under 1.5Mb)
ECW_Original will become famous soon enoughECW_Original will become famous soon enoughECW_Original will become famous soon enough

1 question about the homeplugs though:

Right, obviously you need to plug the ethernet lead from the cable modem to 1 homeplug, but how can you secure the cable modem from the info leaking into somewhere else?

Lemmi make it easier:
you have security software that comes with the homeplugs to protect your data, but how would you go about protecting your SACM from someone else that has a homeplug (as it is stated that the data MIGHT leak out of your home)

Do they have a unique code like a MAC address or something?
I can see its fine if you only want to network a few PC's together, but with the introduction of a cable modem, how would you protect this?
ECW_Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 19:42   #18
zing_deleted

use a router and mac filtering
Old 12-09-2007, 07:28   #19
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW_Original View Post
1 question about the homeplugs though:

Right, obviously you need to plug the ethernet lead from the cable modem to 1 homeplug, but how can you secure the cable modem from the info leaking into somewhere else?

Lemmi make it easier:
you have security software that comes with the homeplugs to protect your data, but how would you go about protecting your SACM from someone else that has a homeplug (as it is stated that the data MIGHT leak out of your home)

Do they have a unique code like a MAC address or something?
I can see its fine if you only want to network a few PC's together, but with the introduction of a cable modem, how would you protect this?

You use said software to set a private network ID which gets stored in the homeplugs themselves, unless someone knows this they cannot communicate with your network.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 11:58   #20
Jacquesb
cf.addict

Services: VM phone , 2xV6 (Full house XL), ViViD200 Optical fibre BB. Stream - Netflix, iPlayer,
Jacquesb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, they are fine - I now have 3 and setup is per my question in another thread - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...-printing.html

I have the 14Mbps units, not sure if my maths is up to it but I didn't reckon - at that time - that the bandwidth I had from ntl was enough to support 85Mbps units ??

I bought the 3rd homeplug a couple of weeks ago from :::

Shopping Cart (Prices in British Pounds)
DESCRIPTION QUANTITY PRICE COST
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Fla14 - HomePlug - 14Mbps 1 £17.04 £17.04
================================================== ====================
Subtotal: £17.04
Shipping (Post - Special Delivery - Next Day ): £5.25
VAT: £3.90
Total: £26.19

Sincerely,
Flashbyte Net Ltd

7 Church Road
Shoeburyness
Southend on Sea
Essex
SS3 9ET
United Kingdom
01702 299919
sales@homeplugs.co.uk
Jacquesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 19:13   #21
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

I may stop using my homeplugs soon but only because I'm getting a couple of 200mbit Powerline adaptors that use a different standard.

Depends if they co-exist or not.
Old 30-05-2008, 15:12   #22
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

I have the following sceanario at home. My cable modem is in an upstairs bedroom at home, and my wireless router is connected to that. I would like to play online on my xbox downstairs, but Id rather not do it wirelessely (as I have heard this is not as good - would that be right?).

I have been told that I should use these homeplugs. So I assume a cable comes out of my router and into the home plug upstairs, and then one from my homeplug in the tv room straight to the xbox.

Can someone tell me if I can connect the cabel modem straight to the homeplug upstairs and then the router to the downstairs homeplug - ideally Id like the wireless router downstairs. The upstairs bedrrom is to be converted into my kids bedroom and I want as much electrical equiptment out of it.

The other option I have is to take the cable going into the upstairs room, and drill it into my dowstairs room, but I dont have the confidence to drill new holes in external walls, as well as unscrewing the socket from upstairs and putting it downstairs.

Hope this makes sense. Anyone got any suggestions/recommendations?
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 15:18   #23
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
Can someone tell me if I can connect the cabel modem straight to the homeplug upstairs and then the router to the downstairs homeplug - ideally Id like the wireless router downstairs. The upstairs bedrrom is to be converted into my kids bedroom and I want as much electrical equiptment out of it.
That's what I have - and it works ok - only thing that I have found is that if the power goes (or the modem gets rebooted) the modem doesn't always find the router (I assume it picks up the mac address of the home plug or something) - so I have had to unplug the router from downstairs and connect it directly to the modem upstairs to make sure the modem finds it - if that makes sense?
Old 30-05-2008, 15:24   #24
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
That's what I have - and it works ok - only thing that I have found is that if the power goes (or the modem gets rebooted) the modem doesn't always find the router (I assume it picks up the mac address of the home plug or something) - so I have had to unplug the router from downstairs and connect it directly to the modem upstairs to make sure the modem finds it - if that makes sense?
So the cable modem plugs straight into a home plug upstairs, and then the router plugs uin to a homeplug downsatirs. Glad that works, one of the guys at work said he couldn't do it like that so I was envisaging getting my masonary drill out :S

Do you connect your XBox to it, so you can go online? Is performance an issue? Which plugs did you buy?
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 15:37   #25
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Quote:
So the cable modem plugs straight into a home plug upstairs, and then the router plugs uin to a homeplug downsatirs. Glad that works, one of the guys at work said he couldn't do it like that so I was envisaging getting my masonary drill out :S
yeah, that's how I've got it - Like I say, you may have problems if you reboot your cable modem, but apart from that.

Quote:
Do you connect your XBox to it, so you can go online? Is performance an issue? Which plugs did you buy?
I've actually got a set up that's a little bit more complicated.
Basically, my modem plugs into one homeplug (I got the devlo models (85mps)), The router then plugs into the router (buffalo) in the cupboard under the stairs, as does a server, and a NAS box. I then have another homeplug in the cupboard under the stairs, which one of the LAN ports from the router plugs into... which then links to another homeplug in the office/conservatory, which plugs into a switch, and then 2 or 3 pcs plug into.
My xbox is connected to another buffalo router, which is acting as a bridging unit between the other router.

so I have 4 homeplugs, 2 routers, 1 switch.

I've been able to play online with no problems wirelessly.

---------- Post added at 15:37 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

oh, and yes, I am seeing how much hardware I can buy before my wife threatens to divorce me
Old 16-06-2008, 11:13   #26
Polevik
Inactive

Polevik is an unknown quantity at this point

anybody seen the belkin homeplugs - http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSecti...tion_Id=206583
Polevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 13:51   #27
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polevik View Post
anybody seen the belkin homeplugs - http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSecti...tion_Id=206583
So they've jumped on the bandwagon now... Still guess it means more choice.
Not sure i'd buy any networking gear made by belkin again though.