Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2022)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Changes to Virgin TV (2022)
Closed Thread

Old 26-01-2022, 17:57   #256
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2022)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
A wee bit of me was hoping Virgin would have moved BBC One SD England regions channels to Virgin Channel starting from number 866 but nothing happen. Oh well.
BBC1 London SD will continue on 861/851 for the time being. As far as the rest of the SD regions are concerned, the BBC will want to pull the plug on these ASAP. I can’t see them leasing transponders for SD & HD on Astra for very long as this would prove hugely expensive. At present SD & HD are also uplinked from 2 different sites. The Beeb wants everything uplinked from Chilworth as again this will save money. That will then only leave the Freeview distribution in SD until MPEG4 transmission becomes standard.
Advertisement
Old 26-01-2022, 18:24   #257
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
BBC1 London SD will continue on 861/851 for the time being. As far as the rest of the SD regions are concerned, the BBC will want to pull the plug on these ASAP. I can’t see them leasing transponders for SD & HD on Astra for very long as this would prove hugely expensive. At present SD & HD are also uplinked from 2 different sites. The Beeb wants everything uplinked from Chilworth as again this will save money. That will then only leave the Freeview distribution in SD until MPEG4 transmission becomes standard.
But no commercial incentive for that investment to be made with an uncertain future for the platform.
Old 26-01-2022, 18:35   #258
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Since 5.56pm tonight Digital Bit Rates has pick up tests for BBC Red Button 5 on Virgin Media:

https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...&sec=0&lang=en
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 26-01-2022, 18:52   #259
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That original post from Mark C is dated October 2021 though, so assume it's more than just those four now.
And more up to date posts from TV Live Forum, which is probably the best place to get such info, naming just those four regions.

https://tvliveforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=65150#p65150

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

Quote:
Since 5.56pm tonight Digital Bit Rates has pick up tests for BBC Red Button 5 on Virgin Media:

Aha! interesting indeed.
Old 26-01-2022, 19:02   #260
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
Don't bet on that, it will be slow progress and with ever more pressure on the licence fee I can't see it speeding up.

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

Probably as likely to go HD as all of the +1 channels. They are already in HD in their own coverage areas.
Are the Nations in SD outside their own areas to save on capacity? I didn't think that they had any capacity issues after all the changes they had made??
Old 26-01-2022, 19:11   #261
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

You think a staff member has got the Eurosport extra channel numbers mixed up with BBC Red Button HD? I didn't think BBC has said if it was having HD Red Button for this Winter Olympics.

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Are the Nations in SD outside their own areas to save on capacity? I didn't think that they had any capacity issues after all the changes they had made??
They'll still want to use a little as possible in case they want to reassign space for broadband provision I'd imagine.
Old 26-01-2022, 19:25   #262
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I would say they are just supplementary services like +1 channels and don't merit carriage in HD. I wouldn't say that there are capacity issues. TS11 is empty other than the unknown channel aka BBC Red Button 5 which Media Boy has found on digitalbitrate. From the data on that site, the service doesn't seem to have been added yet, it links to a slate. It's unlikely to be BBC Red Button 5, it is just using its old SID number. I guess the BBC Red Button 5 placeholder and perhaps the BBC Red Button 2 to BBC Red Button 6 range will shortly be moved to placeholder SID numbers outside the normal range before the mystery service is revealed.

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
They'll still want to use a little as possible in case they want to reassign space for broadband provision I'd imagine.
Well, there's that but they have given up (I think) 20 transport streams over the last few years.

I understand they are testing other methods of delivery that could save quite a lot of "spectrum".
Old 26-01-2022, 19:47   #263
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:

I have not seen anything on the BBC launching any additional streams. There was only a single additional HD stream for the summer Olympics.

Eurosport has the primary rights & will be launching Eurosport 3 to 5 on Virgin (ch 537 to 539), Sky & BT at the end of next week.
Old 26-01-2022, 19:49   #264
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Seems they is a Eurosport 4K due on Sky too - although little publicity.

Quote:
I have not seen anything on the BBC launching any additional streams. There was only a single additional HD stream for the summer Olympics.

Eurosport has the primary rights & will be launching Eurosport 3 to 5 on Virgin (ch 537 to 539), Sky & BT at the end of next week.
Old 26-01-2022, 22:36   #265
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I have still to see any news of extra Eurosport channels testing on Virgin Media - I only know of Sky tests.
Old 27-01-2022, 08:33   #266
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I have still to see any news of extra Eurosport channels testing on Virgin Media - I only know of Sky tests.
Channel numbers quoted from next weeks Radio Times.
Old 27-01-2022, 10:09   #267
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
The heads up for new channels is usually when the service labels are added to the SDT. In this case, they will already be there as placeholders from the last time the popup channels were used. Keep watching digitalbitrate.

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 ----------

Quote:
The same channel numbers as they used last time.
Old 27-01-2022, 11:37   #268
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Just got my copy. Thanks for head's up.

---------- Post added at 11:37 ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 ----------

EXCLUSIVE: Zee TV HD to launch on Virgin Media next week

I have just been told by Zee TV via Twitter that Zee TV HD is set to launch on Virgin UK Channel 809 from February 4th.

Source: Zee TV on Twitter.
Old 27-01-2022, 17:08   #269
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Since 4.32pm tonight Digital Bit Rates has pick up tests 4 new test but BBC Red Button 5 is no longer testing on Virgin Media:

A four new one are: Eurosport UHD, Eurosport 3 HD, Eurosport 4 HD and Eurosport 5 HD

https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ve=209&lang=en

@epsilon All tests are using CO71.
Old 27-01-2022, 17:35   #270
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

You’ll find BBC Four on channel 108 from 1st February 2022. So if you have any series link recordings for BBC Four shows, you’ll need to re-set those up now, as well as adding BBC Four back into your list of favourite channels.

Need a hand? Find out how to manage your recordings here and set your favourite channel here.

Just to recap, your new BBC channel line-up will look like this:

107 BBC Three
108 BBC Four

Per email to my mum who has the old TiVo box.