Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rising cost of living

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Rising cost of living

Old 11-08-2022, 13:53   #286
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Rising cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
You should probably check before making daft remarks.

Gold has increased in value by about 40% in the last 3 years.
Where are you getting 40% from?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2022, 14:00   #287
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Sadly, I doubt it. It says your credit lasts as long as your account is active. Closing it means it is inactive.
Yes, they replied to a query I sent:

Quote:
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email. I am afraid that the credit would be lost if ou (sic) decide to leave us.

Thank you.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 14:42   #288
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Where are you getting 40% from?
A wonderful invention called the "Internet".
You should try it sometime, and look up gold price charts.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 14:55   #289
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
In addition to the previous link provided this one confirms 17-18% rise in the last 3 years. Taken straight from the internet.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold...ar-gold-price/
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 15:44   #290
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
You sure you're not quoting from a day time TV advert? The figures that Dave cites seem closer to the mark.
Old 11-08-2022, 15:53   #291
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

TBF the price increase from December 2019 to now is easily 40%. That would still count as in the last 3 years
Old 11-08-2022, 16:00   #292
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
TBF the price increase from December 2019 to now is easily 40%. That would still count as in the last 3 years
Using Dave's source, if you took the lowest price in December 2019 and compared it to today's you're not getting 40%.
Old 11-08-2022, 16:12   #293
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

if you go from January 2019 then it appears to be upto 50% higher today

https://www.bullionvault.co.uk/gold-price-chart.do

---------- Post added at 15:09 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

Quote:
Using Dave's source, if you took the lowest price in December 2019 and compared it to today's you're not getting 40%.
There are only a few months in it as the graph clearly shows. So if Paul was to say 3 1/2 years ago he would have been absolutely correct as that is when the prices started to rise rapidly. So you are simply arguing for the sake of it Andrew

---------- Post added at 15:12 ---------- Previous post was at 15:09 ----------

In fact any date before 14th May 2019 he is correct so you arguing over less than 3 months out
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 16:17   #294
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
if you go from January 2019 then it appears to be upto 50% higher today

https://www.bullionvault.co.uk/gold-price-chart.do

---------- Post added at 15:09 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

There are only a few months in it as the graph clearly shows. So if Paul was to say 3 1/2 years ago he would have been absolutely correct as that is when the prices started to rise rapidly. So you are simply arguing for the sake of it Andrew

---------- Post added at 15:12 ---------- Previous post was at 15:09 ----------

In fact any date before 14th May 2019 he is correct so you arguing over less than 3 months out
If you have gold today then it has made 17.99% over three years. The price obviously fluctuates wildly but the important number is todays one. Tomorrow may be different.
Old 11-08-2022, 16:28   #295
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I didn't use Dave's source.

Anyway most people can't afford gold to invest so won't affect the vast majority as part of the thread title.
Old 11-08-2022, 16:34   #296
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

May 2019 price was around £31.300 per KG price today is £47.100 per KG think that is a little more than 17.99% as you say price fluctuates but there you go. The peak before then was December 2018 @ £32.900 so it is fair to say that gold prices have increased by around 40% in a little over 3 years. I think Paul was referring to the start of the boom that happened in 2019 not a couple of months into it which I think is fair enough. All arguing against this is pure pedantry which is fine of course but it is what it is
Old 11-08-2022, 16:42   #297
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
May 2019 price was around £31.300 per KG price today is £47.100 per KG think that is a little more than 17.99% as you say price fluctuates but there you go. The peak before then was December 2018 @ £32.900 so it is fair to say that gold prices have increased by around 40% in a little over 3 years. I think Paul was referring to the start of the boom that happened in 2019 not a couple of months into it which I think is fair enough. All arguing against this is pure pedantry which is fine of course but it is what it is
I'll try that argument and cherry pick the optimum exchange rate date next time I go and change some world beating sterling into those pesky euros.
Old 11-08-2022, 17:08   #298
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Error edited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
My phone is basically for emergencies, but also for all the One Time Passwords that I have to receive by mobile phone when making some purchases online, but also instore sometimes.

The beauty of the ASDA PAYG was that you only have to make one text every 6 months to keep it alive. So 4p twice a year.

The 1p SIM requires £10 every 3 months, so £40 a year.

But they do say

"Credit rollover
Your credit lasts as long as your account is active, with no credit expiry period" so perhaps they would refund all the £10 topups if you decide to leave?

Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 17:47   #299
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I hope you don't mind me pointing out that the European decimal notation can confuse Brits. Shouldn't that have been "£31,300"?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 18:01   #300
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I hope you don't mind me pointing out that the European decimal notation can confuse Brits. Shouldn't that have been "£31,300"?
yes haha