Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Network switch performance issues

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Network switch performance issues

Old 04-11-2018, 18:52   #1
peterinreading
Inactive

peterinreading is an unknown quantity at this point
Network switch performance issues

VM have just installed a new VM Hitron modem with 5 static IPs feeding an existing network consisting of a Linksys LRT214 router which in turn feeds two network switches: (1) D-Link Easysmart DES 1100-16 (2) Netgear JFS524E This lot is all in a comms rack together with patch panels feeding about 30 network sockets.

If I connect directly to a spare port on the router I can get 300 Mbit/sec download 20 Mbit/sec upload, but if I connect directly to either of the two switches, or anywhere else on the network I get only 15 Mbit/sec download, 20 Mbit/sec upload.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here? The network is relatively lightly loaded - typically only 3 or 4 users at a time. I expected to get a big performance boost when VM upgraded the service. If just one of the switches was affected than I would upgrade it but both are affected in apparently the same way.
peterinreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2018, 19:11   #2
crowarth
cf.member

Services: Voom Fibre Option 3, 13 static IP addresses
crowarth is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to crowarth
Re: Network switch performance issues

Do you have a dumb gigabit switch you could try on the router, rather than a managed gigabit switch? or in fact, any other gigabit switch? just to see if it's the two you are using (some config setting on them perhaps)
crowarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 19:16   #3
peterinreading
Inactive

Good idea crowarth thanks.

I have ordered a cheapo little switch from ebay to try it.

Last edited by peterinreading; 04-11-2018 at 19:26.
Old 06-11-2018, 18:12   #4
peterinreading
Inactive

New mini-switch works fine: 360 Mbit/sec down, 20 Mbit/sec up. So both existing switches must have something wrong with them.
Old 08-11-2018, 21:04   #5
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Your issues may be down to;
  • shady uplink cabling
  • broadcast storm and the switches are not set to protect
  • Dodgy port on the router
Old 09-11-2018, 01:32   #6
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Looks like both are strictly 10/100, though the throughput is significantly lower than the 100 limit.
Not sure if you could use a port group to improve the uplink on the D-Link.

If you shop around for refurbished. Gigabit switches can be amazingly cheap - the final side cable length might preclude reaching Gigabit, but at least the uplink would be capable of the maximum throughput - otherwise the 300Mbit is wasted and you may as well have a 100Mbit service

Also, if server traffic is crossing the switch - router - switch path, that will consume a lot of performance

Last edited by Matth; 09-11-2018 at 01:36.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 19:34   #7
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Until you can get a long term fix in place (ie new gigabit switches)

I would check the port config on the uplink port between the switch and the router the D-Link Easysmart DES 1100-16 is a managed switch. I suspect you will have a speed/duplex mismatch. If possible set the switchport speed to auto and duplex to auto too. You can also try hard setting speed to 100 and duplex to full.