Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 15-03-2019, 16:58   #691
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Your definition of 'good programmes' is just that - yours, others may consider these as rubbish.
Indeed you are right there.
Advertisement
Old 15-03-2019, 17:47   #692
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
My arguments are backed up by clear inescapable facts which you have palpably chosen to ignore because of what you believe in.
Which facts? Quoting the past does not prove the future.

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The BBC isn’t free and has a huge taxpayer funded budget. I’d fully expect it to have better programming (in general entertainment terms) than the vast majority of pay channels.
That's why 'free' was in inverted commas. You know the point I was making.
Old 15-03-2019, 17:48   #693
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.
Old 15-03-2019, 18:01   #694
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Oh it does but what else can you expect from someone with a anti BBC agenda.
I am not anti-BBC at all. I have criticised them for their spending waste, that's all. Getting free of the licence fee will give them more scope to develop all their ideas for the future.

---------- Post added at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

Quote:
Additionally, ITV have a budget from advertising larger than most of the third party channels put together.

The irony being it’s from advertising. From where people sit down and watch linear TV live. A shocking proposition, truly shocking!
Yes, but they don't charge a subscription, do they?

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Quote:
Your definition of 'good programmes' is just that - yours, others may consider these as rubbish.
I don't call programmes I don't watch 'rubbish'. Only those programmes where the quality standard is painfully low.
Old 15-03-2019, 19:45   #695
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Which facts? Quoting the past does not prove the future.

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

That's why 'free' was in inverted commas. You know the point I was making.
I know the point you were making but it’s entirely invalid. The BBC is a multi-billion pound broadcaster. You don’t seriously expect the entertainment channels in a Sky/Virgin package to compete, do you? Unless you completely misunderstand the market of course.

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

Quote:

Yes, but they don't charge a subscription, do they?[COLOR="Silver"]
Which, as you know, is entirely irrelevant. They have advertising income far in excess of the pay-tv income of everyone bar Sky and BT.

You can’t just start broadcasting and suddenly command the advertising income of ITV then get some subscription revenue as the cream on top.
Old 15-03-2019, 19:47   #696
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
I am not anti-BBC at all. I have criticised them for their spending waste, that's all. Getting free of the licence fee will give them more scope to develop all their ideas for the future.

---------- Post added at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

Yes, but they don't charge a subscription, do they?

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

I don't call programmes I don't watch 'rubbish'. Only those programmes where the quality standard is painfully low.
Again, in you opinion!
Old 16-03-2019, 16:22   #697
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
They cannot obtain exclusive UK rights as already stated. Doesn't matter how much they pay it isn't allowed
I agree. I doubt any government would change the rules anytime soon, but that still leaves open the door for Amazon (or someone else) to bid for a higher packages next time around.

As I said, in regards to global rights for sports, Amazon would likely target something like the World cup and/or Olympics.

---------- Post added at 14:46 ---------- Previous post was at 14:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Horizon

A few points ,

The tech giants you talk about , how's YouTube Premium going for Google ? Amazon's streaming service still doesn't compete or come near to that of Netflix. How many would subscribe if it wasn't for the bundled benefits of Prime. I have Amazon Prime and we rarely watch or find much worth watching on the service and that includes the kids.

Streamers may get interested if Sports rights were available globally but under the current territory by territory basis no chance they pay north of £5 billion just for the UK rights. Facebook and Twitter have both dabbled with content but had little success.
But then lets turn the question around. Leave aside exclusive rights to the football, which I agree is unlikely in the near term, if Amazon (or whoever it might be) won one or more packages of football rights and had it as a £10 add on to their current Prime sub, wouldn't all those people who currently pay BT and Sky switch over to Amazon?

If Amazon chose to do so, it could easily outbid Sky and BT. Whether it actually does, remains to be seen, but I don't see their interest in sports going away anytime soon, do you?

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

Quote:
I’d be more interested if the 62% actually cancelled. By their nature bundles often aren’t customised - fully customised bundles aren’t really bundles at all.

I still haven’t seen any credible calculations of how £5bn on Premiership football rights is profitable for Amazon (or anyone else) based on current (or even hypothetical) pricing. They aren’t a charity after all.
If we take the States as an example here, Sky and VM might go back to smaller bundles to compete, or again, copy what's happening in some places in the States and offer a la carte packages where you do choose what channels you want.
Old 17-03-2019, 10:29   #698
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I agree. I doubt any government would change the rules anytime soon, but that still leaves open the door for Amazon (or someone else) to bid for a higher packages next time around.

As I said, in regards to global rights for sports, Amazon would likely target something like the World cup and/or Olympics.

---------- Post added at 14:46 ---------- Previous post was at 14:45 ----------

But then lets turn the question around. Leave aside exclusive rights to the football, which I agree is unlikely in the near term, if Amazon (or whoever it might be) won one or more packages of football rights and had it as a £10 add on to their current Prime sub, wouldn't all those people who currently pay BT and Sky switch over to Amazon?

If Amazon chose to do so, it could easily outbid Sky and BT. Whether it actually does, remains to be seen, but I don't see their interest in sports going away anytime soon, do you?

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

If we take the States as an example here, Sky and VM might go back to smaller bundles to compete, or again, copy what's happening in some places in the States and offer a la carte packages where you do choose what channels you want.

But for new subscribers to Amazon Prime there would be additional costs on top of the £10 for football.

Personally, I only subscribe to BT because it has the Premiership & European rugby - I could easily forego the football they provide, there's still plenty on sky to watch.

So no, I wouldn't switch to Prime.
Old 17-03-2019, 22:29   #699
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

What if Amazon just offered a £10 footie sub?
Old 18-03-2019, 00:44   #700
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
It’d need something like 12.5m individual subscribers just to cover the cost of the rights. Not taking into account VAT.
Old 18-03-2019, 07:54   #701
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I think it would be more likely to be the existing subscription + £10pm to make that work.
Old 18-03-2019, 12:21   #702
Horizon
Media Watcher

Yes and by all accounts, it's the main Prime sub that Amazon want people to pay for, so I agree, unlikely they would just sell a footy sub on its own.

I really don't understand why Amazon even bothered having this low tier package of matches anyway, so I guess we'll have to wait for the next rights auction and see if they intend to become a serious player or not.
Old 18-03-2019, 12:46   #703
jfman
Architect of Ideas

It was cheap and can be used to sell Prime at Christmas.
Old 18-03-2019, 13:06   #704
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It was cheap and can be used to sell Prime at Christmas.
Exactly nobody else wanted them so they more than likely got a sweet deal.
Old 18-03-2019, 13:11   #705
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Exactly nobody else wanted them so they more than likely got a sweet deal.
It also allows the Premier League to hold the streaming bogey man over Sky/BT in the next round. It has been hugely embarrassing for the league that Sky correctly guessed no such bidders existed and won better rights for less money.
Closed Thread