Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Liz Truss Resigns [Who'll be the next Prime Minister?]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Liz Truss Resigns [Who'll be the next Prime Minister?]
Closed Thread

Old 30-09-2022, 19:42   #556
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: New Prime Minister: Liz Truss

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The OBR cannot produce the numbers until the government has set out in detail how the offsetting savings can be made.

I agree with you on the November date, which is what I said.

You seem to be the dreamer here, dreaming things I don’t say and twisting what I do say.

---------- Post added at 16:22 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

The government hasn’t taken anything from the poor! Where did you get that from?
Links have been posted about them appearing to renege on the promise to increase pensions/benefits with inflation.

These have always been updated every year, apart from the recent years where they were frozen by Cameron & May.. In real terms, benefit recipients are already worse off as it is. Many are now living beliw the poverty line.

The Truss Government is now refusing to confirm that there will be an uprating in April 2023, at a time of record levels of inflation.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 30-09-2022 at 19:46. Reason: Spelling Fac RCO
Advertisement
Old 30-09-2022, 19:49   #557
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
There are two sides to this particular crisis, and you only want to debate the alternative view.

Rubbish Old Boy, worse than your usual. There’s one side to this debate and one only. Truss is free wheeling the economy into chaos and you think it’s alright because some work experience kid wrote a policy paper for a think tank once.

If anyone is going to break established groupthink of the macroeconomic world I can absolutely assure you it will not be Liz Truss

By hysterical reaction I assume you mean those funds worth billions betting against the UK to the extent we have to print money to bet against them? Surely you of all people should admire their entrepreneurial spirit.
Old 30-09-2022, 19:52   #558
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

Rubbish Old Boy, worse than your usual. There’s one side to this debate and one only. Truss is free wheeling the economy into chaos and you think it’s alright because some work experience kid wrote a policy paper for a think tank once.

If anyone is going to break established groupthink of the macroeconomic world I can absolutely assure you it will not be Liz Truss

By hysterical reaction I assume you mean those funds worth billions betting against the UK to the extent we have to print money to bet against them?
I do believe you have just proved my point. ‘Nuff said.
Old 30-09-2022, 19:56   #559
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I do believe you have just proved my point. ‘Nuff said.
If you can’t see the woods for the trees I can’t help you, OB. Enjoy your Friday night.
Old 30-09-2022, 20:25   #560
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
If so, it is yet another mischaracterisation. Let’s keep to the topic, shall we?

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

Pedantry reigns. I guess it depends how you interpret statements, but I was talking about what the government has stated on a number of occasions.

The OBR isn’t waiting for anything, but the government wants to fine tune its plans before getting them criticised on some technical detail.
If technical details were the only things to be critical about I think there'd be national rejoicing. I think the only fine tuning available to them other than accepting they screwed up is how much genetically modifying of the magic money tree can we get away to try improve the yield.

Sometimes you've got to accept you just didn't back a winner.
Old 30-09-2022, 20:29   #561
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
If you can’t see the woods for the trees I can’t help you, OB. Enjoy your Friday night.
Old 30-09-2022, 23:46   #562
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

'Multiple' Tory MPs may join forces with Labour to bring down parts of mini budget, writes Lewis Goodall

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/tory-mps-labour-mini-budget/
Old 01-10-2022, 10:07   #563
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://twitter.com/parody_pm/status...fLRhjMXrQj9scg

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B2AA5846-983D-4E83-A0B5-C7A3EB503B83.jpeg (25.4 KB, 68 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:40   #564
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Another issue for Truss. I'm sure Johnson would have got the cheque book out but I'm less sure about Truss.

Quote:
British Steel's Chinese owner seeks huge government aid package

Jingye Group has indicated that British Steel's two blast furnaces will not be commercially viable without hundreds of millions of pounds of taxpayer support, Sky News learns.

The owners of Britain's second-biggest steel producer are seeking an urgent package of financial support from taxpayers amid renewed fears for thousands of industrial jobs in the north of England.

Sky News has learnt that Jingye Group, which bought British Steel out of insolvency in 2020, has told ministers that the company's two blast furnaces are unlikely to be viable without government aid.

British Steel, which is headquartered in Scunthorpe, north Lincolnshire, employs about 4,000 people, with thousands more jobs in its supply chain dependent upon the company.

The request from Jingye poses a major headache for Jacob Rees-Mogg, the new business secretary, on the eve of the Conservative Party's annual conference in Birmingham.

While the precise scale of the support being sought by the Chinese industrial group was unclear this weekend, insiders suggested that it would need "hundreds of millions of pounds" to keep the Scunthorpe blast furnaces operational.

For Mr Rees-Mogg, who took over as business secretary less than a month ago, a decision over government support presents a politically undesirable menu of choices.

If no state funding is made available and significant numbers of jobs are axed, it would undermine a key tenet of the 'levelling-up' strategy that became a doctrine of Boris Johnson's administration.

An agreement to provide substantial taxpayer funding to a Chinese-owned business, however, would almost certainly provoke outrage among Tory critics of Beijing.

China's role in global steel production, after years of international trade rows about dumping, would make any subsidies even more contentious.
https://news.sky.com/story/british-s...ckage-12708894
Old 01-10-2022, 13:47   #565
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Not sure if anyone has shared this critique by Andrew Neil yet. It was published in the Daily Heil but don’t let that put you off, it’s actually quite balanced (and very critical):

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...DREW-NEIL.html
Old 01-10-2022, 14:06   #566
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Not sure if anyone has shared this critique by Andrew Neil yet. It was published in the Daily Heil but don’t let that put you off, it’s actually quite balanced (and very critical):

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...DREW-NEIL.html
Quote of the week

Quote:
It regularly baffles me how little free marketeers understand how free markets work.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 01-10-2022, 15:57   #567
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Quote of the week
I’m still just hugely entertained that Truss got elected acknowledging decades of economic failure then just delivered the same on steroids in a mere two weeks.
Old 01-10-2022, 18:56   #568
jfman
Architect of Ideas

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/k...rash-kwdbs72g0

Oh dear a dinner for Kwasi to celebrate with everyone betting against Britain.

Article has a paywall but the headline summary is enough for me he’s a goner
Old 01-10-2022, 19:07   #569
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

BBC news says a poll shows that nearly half of all Tory supporters have now deserted them.

If I were a betting man i'd say that Truss will be ousted before too long in favour of Sunak.
Old 01-10-2022, 19:11   #570
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
BBC news says a poll shows that nearly half of all Tory supporters have now deserted them.

If I were a betting man i'd say that Truss will be ousted before too long in favour of Sunak.
I can’t see the membership voting for him.
Closed Thread