Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The change in storage space needed for recordings on VM

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The change in storage space needed for recordings on VM

Old 19-12-2020, 14:50   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
The change in storage space needed for recordings on VM

I accidentally recorded All Aboard! The Great Reindeer Migration from BBC4 HD again the other day, and it occurred to me to check how much space they both took, I was curious.

5.41GB - was recorded on 24th December 2018 back when BBC4 HD was on 163
2.3GB - was recorded on 12th December this year.

I'm assuming most of this difference is the switch from MPEG2 to MPEG4. I was expecting the newest recording to be around 3GB, so the difference was much better.

Thought it might briefly interest others who have VM TV how much has changed behind the scenes, and yet how little they may have noticed.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2020, 14:53   #2
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: The change in storage space needed for recordings on VM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I accidentally recorded All Aboard! The Great Reindeer Migration from BBC4 HD again the other day, and it occurred to me to check how much space they both took, I was curious.

I'm assuming most of this difference is the switch from MPEG2 to MPEG4. I was expecting the newest recording to be around 3GB, so the difference was much better.

Thought it might briefly interest others who have VM TV how much has changed behind the scenes, and yet how little they may have noticed.
That's a huge difference from 2018 mate.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 15:23   #3
TheWatcher
cf.member

Services: M125 BB, Anytime Chatter, V6 (Maxit TV)
TheWatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

How did you find out this info? Is it from the boxes themselves?
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 16:13   #4
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
How did you find out this info? Is it from the boxes themselves?
Yes. You can find it by pressing Info button on a particular recorded episode screen. It shows both a % of box space and the size in GB to two decimal places.

I'm currently watching live stream of my local football team so I can't look it up to be more precise with my words for these instructions.
Old 19-12-2020, 16:37   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The HD channels became MPEG4 in January 2018. The difference is down to the new encoders.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 19:08   #6
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The HD channels became MPEG4 in January 2018. The difference is down to the new encoders.
Many thanks spiderplant.

I had a feeling new encoders were a part of it, I recall them being mentioned recently but have no idea how long they've been installed. I couldn't remember when the HD channels switched to MPEG4 so wasn't sure what to attribute to the change. How much bigger were the MPEG2 HD channels on VM just before they were superceded?

It's impressive the results, I couldn't really see any difference when I compared scenes.
Old 19-12-2020, 22:11   #7
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

The new encoders have been gradually introduced since October. The switch to MPEG4 halved the bit-rate, and now it's being halved again.

And if you think that's impressive, see the bit-rates that Netflix are dabbling with:
https://netflixtechblog.com/optimize...g-47b516b10bbb
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 22:23   #8
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Many thanks spiderplant.

I had a feeling new encoders were a part of it, I recall them being mentioned recently but have no idea how long they've been installed. I couldn't remember when the HD channels switched to MPEG4 so wasn't sure what to attribute to the change. How much bigger were the MPEG2 HD channels on VM just before they were superceded?

It's impressive the results, I couldn't really see any difference when I compared scenes.
Some of the initial MPEG-2 HD broadcasts initially were around 16-18 Mb/sec taking up about half of a 38 Mb/sec 64 QAM transport stream (minus overheads).

A quick skim on Digitalbitrate has the current MPEG4 HD channels varying anything between 2 and 7 MB/sec as this depends how many channels are being squeezed in and what prioritisation they are given. Digitalbitrate is currently reporting BBC 4 HD averaging 1.8.

You are probably comparing when the number of HD channels was capped at about 6 per transport stream (a straight average of 7.5 MB/sec once overheads taken out, with BBC4 a lower priority compared to other content on the stream).
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 01:41   #9
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quite possible jfman.

Wow. That's impressive spiderplant. Even Freeview might be able to achieve some previously unthought of things on its HD mulitplexes if those examples are anything to go by.
Old 20-12-2020, 12:01   #10
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Quite possible jfman.

Wow. That's impressive spiderplant. Even Freeview might be able to achieve some previously unthought of things on its HD mulitplexes if those examples are anything to go by.

Only impressive if the picture quality has not suffered.

You have an ideal opportunity to gauge this by watching both recordings.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 12:22   #11
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Many thanks spiderplant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post

I did briefly, hence what I said earlier. I couldn't see anything obvious. I'll have another longer look at a later time.
Old 20-12-2020, 12:36   #12
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post

You would think people would notice if there was a deterioration but the evidence from the rapid decline of SD bandwidths and what passes off as SD now vs the introduction of digital would indicate otherwise. Users simply gradually adjusted.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 12:51   #13
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You would think people would notice if there was a deterioration but the evidence from the rapid decline of SD bandwidths and what passes off as SD now vs the introduction of digital would indicate otherwise. Users simply gradually adjusted.
Upscaling tech has got better and helped, but I agree slow changes have got some used to poorer quality, and they don't care enough to moan loudly enough in large numbers.

As I type this I'm currently watching (well, it's on in the background) one of the lower resolution SD Freeview channels in the kitchen 24 inch (circa 2010) TV and it's acceptable. The screen in question has Full HD resolution (via other input sources) but no HD tuner, so I'm not sure how much upscaling it's doing, but it's 10 years old tech (at least).
Old 20-12-2020, 18:05   #14
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

A good test was always the Olympic swimming and rafting events. Water kills compression algorithms for fun.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 19:11   #15
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
A good test was always the Olympic swimming and rafting events. Water kills compression algorithms for fun.
Good to know. Thanks. I'll pay particular attention to any water segments then. Though I can't see there being (m)any in the particular show I've got for comparison.