Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | When will we see another speed upgrade?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

When will we see another speed upgrade?

Old 08-11-2018, 13:42   #31
Westyfield2
Inactive

Westyfield2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: When will we see another speed upgrade?

I wonder at what point they'll differentiate between Coax cable areas and Project Lightning FTTP areas and bin all the RFoG converters?
Westyfield2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2018, 20:32   #32
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Yeah, i punt a fair amount of data up to Azure each night (PC backups) so having upload is more priority for me. The download is generally fast enough for everything except for games, and half the time the speeds you get from PSN/XBL are limited by their networks, not VM's.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:17   #33
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

For downloads from steam, VM are definitely the limiting factor.

I'd definitely love more upload though. It's awful for backups and remote streaming right now.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:44   #34
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Yeah, i punt a fair amount of data up to Azure each night (PC backups) so having upload is more priority for me. The download is generally fast enough for everything except for games, and half the time the speeds you get from PSN/XBL are limited by their networks, not VM's.

On my PS4 i get around 170mbit wired on a 200mbit VM connection and 35mbit wireless from 12foot away, based on the PS4s short network speed test.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:52   #35
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
On my PS4 i get around 170mbit wired on a 200mbit VM connection and 35mbit wireless from 12foot away, based on the PS4s short network speed test.
Steam and newsgroups give me 385mbit or so over cable, and steam on my laptop does similar over wireless, but then I'm only using the hub 3.0 in modem mode and have ubiquiti access points for WiFi.

It's entirely possible to use more speed, even on wireless.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 18:58   #36
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

In Coventry, where Vodaphone have started installing their FTTP network there is a driver for Virgin and others to increase headline speeds. Vodaphone will be offering 1Gb up and down for £50 a month to residential customers. Although VM have already installed FTTP across swathes of south Coventry, it is pegged back to 350Mb. Surely VM will have to do something about this.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 19:11   #37
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Ya but i cant see it any time soon. I am expecting 500 or 600mbits at the end of next year.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 21:33   #38
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

There is no market pressure for faster speeds. When there is, mon General's expectation will be fulfilled.

For upstream, they have to ensure really clean channels, and that's the limiting factor at the moment, imo.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 21:44   #39
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Buuuut, will that condition/limitation still apply. I havent read up on the difference between docsis 3 and 3.1 but i can remember saying channels wont exist as we currently know it. I am assuming the basics still apply with regards to frequencies and noise etc.

I am expecting massive jumps in tiers though once they start rolling 3.1 out which should be next year.
Old 10-11-2018, 21:53   #40
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Have a read, mon General:

https://volpefirm.com/docsis-3-1-plant/

Let us know what you think about channels.

But, as I said before, there is no competitive pressure in the UK to go to DOCSIS 3.1.

Old 10-11-2018, 22:32   #41
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
there is no competitive pressure in the UK to go to DOCSIS 3.1.
That may be so but it is the right thing to do to move technology forward
Old 16-11-2018, 18:20   #42
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
That may be so but it is the right thing to do to move technology forward
Technology moving forward doesn't mean the public have to get it until the commercial pressures force VM to do it. They've got the technology - it's moved forward, mon General.