Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is piracy on the way out and will VM and Sky benefit?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Is piracy on the way out and will VM and Sky benefit?

Old 08-12-2018, 02:46   #16
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Is piracy on the way out and will VM and Sky benefit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Being a subscriber to a VPN service is not proof of anything. If the VPN service keeps detailed logs(which they tend not to do) then maybe you might be found out.
No, but it is a lead. I don't think that people who subscribe or access illegal content are as safe as they think.

I am not trying to make a case here. I am trying to make people aware of the risks they are taking.
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2018, 08:49   #17
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I use a VPN to access some of my corporate clients computer resources. It's a requirement of their IT departments. Using a VPN is not evidence of illegal downloading / uploading. (Though it may be)
Old 08-12-2018, 09:32   #18
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
No, but it is a lead. I don't think that people who subscribe or access illegal content are as safe as they think.

I am not trying to make a case here. I am trying to make people aware of the risks they are taking.
How are they going to get details of subscription from bitcoin payments?

The authorities may well get the IP address of the VPN being used for piracy but will not to be able to attach it to any one person due to no records being kept.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:03   #19
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
How are they going to get details of subscription from bitcoin payments?

The authorities may well get the IP address of the VPN being used for piracy but will not to be able to attach it to any one person due to no records being kept.
But if these companies don't keep records, how do they know you are a member for the purpose of managing your subscription and access to the service? And although I understand that VPNs are supposed to work in such a way that you cannot be traced, I would not be that comfortable in convincing myself that there was no technical way my access to sites could not be traced through some technical means, particularly if the enforcers actually got into the company offices providing the service.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:05   #20
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

It's always been a game of cat and mouse with the authorities and the 'pirates' for as long as I can remember, from floppy disks being swapped in the playground to cassette tapes copying songs, vhs tapes, CD's & DVD's, then along came the Internet and BB's with binaries, mIRC (still active arrrrr) Kazaa, Limewire, eDonkey, fast forward a little. Torrents, Kodi plug ins, android apps offering streaming.

Sometimes the pirates are on top, sometimes the authorities. The point I'm making is that it ain't ever going to stop. It's like playing Whack A mole.

There is a school of thought that suggests if things were priced somewhat more reasonably, then the vast majority of pirating would simply evaporate as people begrudge being ripped off.

Another issue in this global market place is availability. Quite simply some titles are never available through legal means or people have to subscribe to multiple media sources costing hundreds of pounds.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:12   #21
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
But if these companies don't keep records, how do they know you are a member for the purpose of managing your subscription and access to the service? And although I understand that VPNs are supposed to work in such a way that you cannot be traced, I would not be that comfortable in convincing myself that there was no technical way my access to sites could not be traced through some technical means, particularly if the enforcers actually got into the company offices providing the service.
The companies manage the subscription via the password, the password is valid for the length of subscription and can be renewed via it.

They don't even have my email address.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:29   #22
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
The companies manage the subscription via the password, the password is valid for the length of subscription and can be renewed via it.

They don't even have my email address.
It sounds really secure but I would not be happy to rely on what VPN sites say about anonymity.

A quick search revealed this from the 'golden frog' site, for example:

If a VPN provider kept absolutely no logs, they wouldn’t be able to:

- Offer plans with limits on GB usage or per user basis

- Limit VPN connections to 1, 3 or 5 on a per user basis

- Troubleshoot your connection or offer support for server-side problems

- Handle your DNS requests when using the VPN service. They might rely on a 3rd Party DNS provider that logs DNS requests

- Prevent abuse, such as spammers, port scanners and DDOS to protect their VPN service and their users.

Given the expertise we are witnessing of what hackers are actually capable of these days, I would not be at all confident that a future clamp down would not affect me if I used an illegal site to gain access to content that I should not be able to see. Sooner or later, the powers that be will catch up, and the huge amount of money being lost to content providers will be the driver to achieving this.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 08-12-2018 at 12:33.
Old 08-12-2018, 13:13   #23
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
It sounds really secure but I would not be happy to rely on what VPN sites say about anonymity.

A quick search revealed this from the 'golden frog' site, for example:

If a VPN provider kept absolutely no logs, they wouldn’t be able to:

- Offer plans with limits on GB usage or per user basis I don't use a limited GB provider

- Limit VPN connections to 1, 3 or 5 on a per user basis
5 different logins with the same password = 5 connections.

- Troubleshoot your connection or offer support for server-side problems
There are ways.

- Handle your DNS requests when using the VPN service. They might rely on a 3rd Party DNS provider that logs DNS requests
3rd Party DNS which would log the VPN IP address

- Prevent abuse, such as spammers, port scanners and DDOS to protect their VPN service and their users.

They would have to gain access to the encrypted pipe.
Given the expertise we are witnessing of what hackers are actually capable of these days, I would not be at all confident that a future clamp down would not affect me if I used an illegal site to gain access to content that I should not be able to see. Sooner or later, the powers that be will catch up, and the huge amount of money being lost to content providers will be the driver to achieving this.
So much for golden frog.
Old 08-12-2018, 13:15   #24
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
So much for golden frog.
Old 08-12-2018, 17:29   #25
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Being a subscriber to a VPN service is not proof of anything. If the VPN service keeps detailed logs(which they tend not to do) then maybe you might be found out.
Indeed, users of public WiFi services often use VPN for security purposes. Others use VPN to access geographically restricted services as well, or US websites that block European users and vice versa.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 18:07   #26
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Services such as Netflix that offer a good selection of media for a monthly subscription have undoubtedly had a massive impact on piracy, but there are those who object to paying anything as they see the media as some evil thing that just exploits it's audience.
Speaking from personal experience of my Family & Friends, the cost of one service (such as Netflix) is not the issue.

The problem is that to be able to watch everything you actually want to see, you need Netflix, Prime, Sky and some US ones we cannot even access in the UK.

If you only needed to pay for one source, you would eliminate a lot of illegal sharing.
Thats [part of] the appeal of torrent sites - you only need to go to one source for all your programmes.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 19:28   #27
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I'm sorry OB but you appear to be living in the same cloud cuckoo land as the authorities.

You cited Kodi in your OP. With Kodi you don't need to sign up with anyone so they'll have a lot of luck raiding offices.

Even torrenting is still alive and kicking.
Although once in a while with torrenting I get an email off Sky advising the content is being shared illegally naming the title of what I downloaded. Mostly just TV episodes.
Old 08-12-2018, 19:51   #28
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Speaking from personal experience of my Family & Friends, the cost of one service (such as Netflix) is not the issue.

The problem is that to be able to watch everything you actually want to see, you need Netflix, Prime, Sky and some US ones we cannot even access in the UK.

If you only needed to pay for one source, you would eliminate a lot of illegal sharing.
Thats [part of] the appeal of torrent sites - you only need to go to one source for all your programmes.
Of course, that's where Sky, Virgin Media, et al can help. If they provided bundles of SVOD services the same way as they do with scheduled pay tv channels, you would only have to pay one subscription for the lot, and presumably at a cheaper price than if you subscribed to each service separately.

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Although once in a while with torrenting I get an email off Sky advising the content is being shared illegally naming the title of what I downloaded. Mostly just TV episodes.
I think you should be careful, Stephen. Clearly, they can identify you, and although to date they have been concentrating on the big players, sooner or later, they will go for the punters. The compensation they will be after will be considerable and will far outweigh the benefits of free or discounted viewing you have been able to access to date.
Old 08-12-2018, 21:03   #29
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
What do you expect if you don't use a VPN?

If you do use one I would seriously consider changing to a different one.
Old 08-12-2018, 21:21   #30
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

That's right, it's only matter of time before the 'speculative invoicers' return, I wouldn't torrent anything without a VPN
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote