Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 16-01-2020, 14:56   #781
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Had to get a friend to fix my IPad as I was locked out and could not remember my password,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-01-2020, 15:33   #782
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Had to go out to rescue a friend with a flat tyre and couldn't get the wheel off.

Some complete plonker must have lost one of the original nuts and they replaced it with a 20mm one; Good luck finding that size socket in a normal metric set! Took a few phone calls to finally get hold of one.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 15:52   #783
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I invested in a set of hexagon sockets that drive on the flats in 1mm increments from 10 to 22mm in addition to my normal star sockets. When you have an older car sometimes a nut will rust down to the next lower size but a flats drive will still undo it.
Old 17-01-2020, 16:25   #784
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I invested in a set of hexagon sockets that drive on the flats in 1mm increments from 10 to 22mm in addition to my normal star sockets. When you have an older car sometimes a nut will rust down to the next lower size but a flats drive will still undo it.
Yeah I have a set of flats, just didn't have the right size. Managed to get another mate who has a bike shop to bring a set down which has those odd sizes like your set.

We actually found the original nut rattling around in the wheel well when putting the flat back in so I probably could have ground the other one off.
Old 22-02-2020, 15:45   #785
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

My sister's vacuum cleaner: The wheel under the handle release catch had broken away, her (ex) boyfriend had wired it back in place but it kept falling off again. This area is subject to quite a lot of force when the catch is operated by the foot.

Part of the moulding was missing when she gave it it me. I cut out some thin aluminum sheet with the snips to cover the damaged area and Araldited it into position. Once set I back filled the other side with some P40 resin impregnated glass fiber to about 10mm depth, working it well into the recesses in the plastic. I reinforced it with a nut and bolt at the front. Redrilled the hole for the wheel and secured it with a nylock nut.

Good as new!
Old 22-02-2020, 16:51   #786
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

A neighbour's wooden garden shed roof flapped during storm Dennis. I found that it had been attached with just 4 screws from the inside, so the screw tips only just entered the roofing sheets. The 12 screw holes are marked in red on the inner timber frame, so I have no idea what the assembler was thinking.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:55   #787
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Output socket on my Zoom multi effects pedal kept cutting out. Opened it up and re-soldered the 3 pins to the main board, now good as new (well not quite . . it is 25 years old)

First (and hopefully last) problem with it in all this time
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 16:56   #788
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Insect killing lamp: UV Tube started flickering and then glowing bright at one end. Usually means the heater at that end has gone open.

Last time it went I got two tubes so after a big rummage round I found the other spare. I decided to completely dismantle it so as to clean the killing grids more effectively.

I have a security screw set of bits so in no time it was apart and cleaned. New tube fitted, re-assembled and now ready to keep up with the fungus flies.

Old tube was completely burnt so it was on borrowed time. New tube is much brighter.
Old 19-03-2020, 13:17   #789
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Thumbs down

Yesterday I tried to fix a cassette I got.....

They did a crappy job on it... The volume kept going up and down slightly....... Besides that it wouldnt rew/FF in my player well @ all..... I took the cartridge apart and it was one of those shells WITH NO ROLLERS!! (Of coures its gonna have problems) -- I had gotton a few of them before.........

What kinda moron doesnt put Rollers in a cassette??

I put it in a new shell thinking the volume problem was due to the tape not spinning well........ It wasnt .......

Anyway .... I must have sliced the tape by accident with the knife used to pry the cassette open cause as I was listening to it,it just stopped and I looked and it came apart......... (The tape)

I didnt care,it sounded like crap........ 2nd one I had! (The 8track of this concert sounds goregous)

Its very sad......... A beautiful analogue copy of the concert and they messed it up!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 07:16   #790
Allcostan
cf.member

Allcostan is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm constantly gluing plastic together with my new heat gun. A very useful thing that is worth buying, if there is no such thing.I often freeze the keyhole in the winter and in this case, I am greatly helped by heat gun. I bought a tool from protoolsadviser reviews .
Allcostan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 00:15   #791
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Done a patch up job on my hi-fi headphones until I could be bothered replacing the cables completely.

They're Grados so they suffer from an inherent problem with the stock cable being so thick that it just puts strain on itself. The PVC outer splits due to constant twisting and becoming brittle as do the inner cores of the transmission wires.

I might wire and fit some connectors to each driver so I can use the cables from my stage ears.
Old 26-05-2020, 11:39   #792
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

My main desk PC: Yesterday it spontaneously re-booted and then fell flat on its face during POST. I re-booted several times and got cascades of errors on POST including not finding the floppy drive, not initialising the printer and not finding the boot drive.

Tried this morning and it wouldn't even start POST.

Last time I had these sort of wierdies when adding a new HDD it was down to the PSU so out it came.

Yes! More bulging capacitors. Changed three that were low or zero value. Two were on the 5V SB supply. Explains why there has been a subtle strange smell recently next to the PC: Capacitor "juice"

Tested the other main caps and they showed correct values.

Re-assembled and the PC POSTed correctly and booted Windows.

One wierdie: Somehow the year had got set to 2019. That makes for some strange errors when accessing websites. Reset the date and all seems OK now but I'm leaving the side covers off for a few hours to be sure.
Old 27-05-2020, 13:35   #793
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Daughters bedroom door wouldn't stay closed.

Delicate work with a wood chisel, slight readjustment and 2 longer wood screws have sorted it . . .

. . . probably until the next time it's slammed shut when she goes off on one
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 22:43   #794
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Filled a crack in the concrete floor of the hallway area outside of the bedrooms and applied levelling compound ready for new LVT flooring. Messy job but someone's gotta do it.
Old 01-06-2020, 00:53   #795
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I fixed CF email the other day, not that anyone seemed to notice it was down ...

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote