Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving to a new phone - advice needed.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Moving to a new phone - advice needed.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:12   #16
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold
Re: Moving to a new phone - advice needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
What format did you do the SD card to?

For most non-pc devices FAT32 is the requirement.
I formatted the SD card with the phone.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2018, 10:56   #17
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Have you given apps permission to access the SD card as newer versions of android require this?
Old 06-11-2018, 12:09   #18
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Have you given apps permission to access the SD card as newer versions of android require this?
Yes, I've done that too, SnoopZ. This morning I wiped the cache but nothing has changed.
Old 06-11-2018, 13:43   #19
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

If the phone can't see the SD card best try another card of the correct type.
Old 06-11-2018, 15:01   #20
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
If the phone can't see the SD card best try another card of the correct type.
It was the very first thing I tried, SnoopZ. I had been listening to music on my ancient Galaxy Ace without problems for years. When I got the S8 I retrieved the micro SD card from the Ace and put it into the S8 naively thinking that the music would be available on the new phone. Sadly, the tracks on the original card are also invisible to the S8. Two different SD cards, the same result. As I said, I'm out of ideas.
Old 06-11-2018, 15:51   #21
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I've just downloaded a track from a cloud account to the SD card in my S8.

Both Amazon Music and Play Music can see the track and play it from the SD Card.
Old 06-11-2018, 16:30   #22
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
It was the very first thing I tried, SnoopZ. I had been listening to music on my ancient Galaxy Ace without problems for years. When I got the S8 I retrieved the micro SD card from the Ace and put it into the S8 naively thinking that the music would be available on the new phone. Sadly, the tracks on the original card are also invisible to the S8. Two different SD cards, the same result. As I said, I'm out of ideas.

Exactly what is the make and model of SD card you're using and what happens when you first put the card in the phone does it ask you to do anything?

https://www.samsung.com/ph/support/m...xy-s8-s8-plus/

Last edited by SnoopZ; 06-11-2018 at 16:34.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 17:14   #23
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I've just downloaded a track from a cloud account to the SD card in my S8.

Both Amazon Music and Play Music can see the track and play it from the SD Card.
I wish my S8 would behave like that. It's so frustrating. Neither Play Music nor any other music player I've tried so far can see my SD card. I can see all the files on the card but for some reason the music players cannot. It's doubly frustrating because they played normally on the Galaxy Ace I upgraded from. I'm guessing it's either a bug or there's some hidden setting that is preventing this. I've contacted the Samsung UK help desk but they are taking an age to get back to me.

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

OK, the mystery deepens. I have just taken a photo and saved it to the SD card. And there it is, visible in the gallery. Obviously everything is working as it should but, for some unknown reason, not my music tracks.

---------- Post added at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

Quote:
Exactly what is the make and model of SD card you're using and what happens when you first put the card in the phone does it ask you to do anything?

https://www.samsung.com/ph/support/m...xy-s8-s8-plus/
It is a Sandisk 64 Gb card. The one that came from my previous Galaxy Ace was a Sandisk 32 Gb card. There is a message on the pull-down from my start-up screen that says 'SD Card. Tap here to transfer media files'. When tapped this takes me to the files on the SD card where I can find my music files. The problem is that none of the music players can see them.

In my earlier reply to BenMcr I noted that photos saved to the SD card are all present and correct. It's all a mystery to me.
Old 06-11-2018, 18:15   #24
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I don't know if it's relevant but I had a problem with the media server on my PC sharing files by "genre" This attribute was not set in the files headers and the smart TV couldn't see anything. Changing this to "folders" fixed it. Maybe something similar in your media players?
Old 06-11-2018, 18:35   #25
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
I wish my S8 would behave like that. It's so frustrating. Neither Play Music nor any other music player I've tried so far can see my SD card. I can see all the files on the card but for some reason the music players cannot. It's doubly frustrating because they played normally on the Galaxy Ace I upgraded from. I'm guessing it's either a bug or there's some hidden setting that is preventing this. I've contacted the Samsung UK help desk but they are taking an age to get back to me.

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

OK, the mystery deepens. I have just taken a photo and saved it to the SD card. And there it is, visible in the gallery. Obviously everything is working as it should but, for some unknown reason, not my music tracks.

---------- Post added at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

It is a Sandisk 64 Gb card. The one that came from my previous Galaxy Ace was a Sandisk 32 Gb card. There is a message on the pull-down from my start-up screen that says 'SD Card. Tap here to transfer media files'. When tapped this takes me to the files on the SD card where I can find my music files. The problem is that none of the music players can see them.

In my earlier reply to BenMcr I noted that photos saved to the SD card are all present and correct. It's all a mystery to me.

Are the music files in regular mp3 format?

Have you tried other music players like, Musicolet? https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...colet&hl=en_GB
Old 07-11-2018, 08:12   #26
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I don't know if it's relevant but I had a problem with the media server on my PC sharing files by "genre" This attribute was not set in the files headers and the smart TV couldn't see anything. Changing this to "folders" fixed it. Maybe something similar in your media players?
Quote:
Are the music files in regular mp3 format?

Have you tried other music players like, Musicolet? https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...colet&hl=en_GB
Mystery solved! I started over from scratch, deleted the music folder on the SD card and made a new one using the utility on the Samsung rather than my PC which I had used previously. Now the music folder on the card is visible to my music player. If there's a moral to this story it's that not all folders are created equal.

Thanks, again, to everyone who has helped me troubleshoot this problem.
Old 07-11-2018, 17:09   #27
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Glad you finally solved it.