Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

Old 16-04-2013, 16:20   #46
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash: CF noob View Post
No see the 2 hour threshold of 5750mb.
If you download 4500mb in hour one then 1250mb in hour 2 then you will be managed.
Erm nope
Errr....Ben, could you explain your post a bit more please?
Because from the link you've just posted...

Quote:
Are the traffic management thresholds cumlative or addative? i.e for L30 the 1 hour download weekday policy is 2750MB and 2 hour is 3500MB. Does this mean that to trigger the 2 hour policy you only download 3500MB or do you have to download 6250MB?

The thresholds are cumulative, in this case if you downloaded 3500MB over two hours you'd trigger the policy.
That goes against what you're saying, I think. I'm quite confused. Rob's post above, as well, would be nice to get an answer to.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2013, 16:21   #47
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Or can the two hour threshold only be applied if you broke the first hour?
You have to download more than the one hour policy to get to the two hour threshold
Old 16-04-2013, 16:22   #48
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

Virgin Media are terrible wording in traffic management confused.

5000MB for 1 hour then throttling for 1 hour to 30%
6250MB for 2 hours then throttling for 2 hours to 40% after 2 hours back to normal

I don't know within 2 hours we should downloading of 11250MB or only 6250MB ???

Which one is correct ?
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 16:25   #49
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Errr....Ben, could you explain your post a bit more please?
Because from the link you've just posted...
Sorry, I may have misread the post
Old 16-04-2013, 16:25   #50
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
This, as you have to download more than the one hour policy to get to the two hour threshold
That's slightly better but still doesn't remove the sting of the whole thing, especially at weekends on the upstream.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 16:29   #51
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

All that stands out for me is that your allowance has been for most cut in half so in effect i will hit the reduction in half the time.

What it does do is force all the heavy downloads to before 4.00 pm when the network is being used by business customers. I await further reductions and extending of time frames as business customers complain there speeds are impacted.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 16:32   #52
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
You have to download more than the one hour policy to get to the two hour threshold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
That's slightly better but still doesn't remove the sting of the whole thing, especially at weekends on the upstream.
Apologies, have just re-read the post and my reply and may explained it wrong.
Old 16-04-2013, 16:38   #53
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

So the next question,does the superhub allow you to set a QoS type policy that will keep your bandwidth below the hourly threshold at peak times? That way you can perhaps maintain a better average speed. Simply put the older policy allowed greater flexibility.

If for example I'm reinstalling my PC over a weekend, previously on the upper tier service I could get 22GB of data during the afternoon before throttling. Probably just enough for most of those windows patches, and other essential software that is all now held in the cloud. Now though I've only got 5GB before throttling. The whole download task is going to take much longer. And no, you don't schedule this stuff when you aren't around overnight, as frequently you need to install, patch, install patch etc, so it's something that you keep coming back to for the next button press.

It seems the only reason to pay for the top speed service on VM is because you need a mid speed service.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 16:41   #54
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Sorry, I may have misread the post
Thanks for replying, that helps clear things up at least.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 16:45   #55
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by telfordcable View Post
Virgin Media are terrible wording in traffic management confused.

5000MB for 1 hour then throttling for 1 hour to 30%
6250MB for 2 hours then throttling for 2 hours to 40% after 2 hours back to normal

I don't know within 2 hours we should downloading of 11250MB or only 6250MB ???

Which one is correct ?
Can someone explain to me which one is correct 11250MB in two hours or 6250MB in two hours?
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 16:48   #56
pcoventry
Permanently Banned

pcoventry is infamous around these partspcoventry is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
No cap before 4pm is welcomed, but the limits after are a joke on 100mb esp the weekends. Though I won't be changing my use over the weekends, I'll just carry on as normal and for the time being live with a slower connection at the weekends. The limits are just too low to change anyone's ways instead of maybe keeping under the old limits of 10gb or 20gb, people will not just not worry about it and download 24/7.

As for being on 100mb then being throttled down to 60% of full speed (40% reduction) it is still fast enough not to notice too much. But those on lower tariffs I do feel for.

I have to say to only find out on the day it comes in is poor. And the constantly changing rules are very much out of order. They ain't doing themseles any favors that's for sure.
In the 4 months I had 120 I had no cap from 9pm-4pm but then it got bad when I did get capped.

---------- Post added at 16:48 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
It might just be me being a spoon but I like it. Obviously I would want to get rid of traffic management altogether but I think this policy is better than what we had before. I think it is fantastic that they have seen the sense in getting rid of day time stm as it contradicted their assertion that a "minority of users are affected during peak time".

The only thing which is going to annoy me is that usage is monitored per hour rather than over the total time range. I would rather know I can download 35gb between 1600-2300 without being managed rather than download 5gb per hour (which I can obviously do way more than that on 120mbit)
Hmm I wonder if it's anything to do with the 12 complaints the ASA got on the last policy?

Well 11+ me I should say.
pcoventry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 16:50   #57
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

What happens for example if you're on 100mb, that you download say 500gb in one go, you'll be reduced by 30% in 10 minutes or so, then reduced by 40% in 15 mins, so for 1hr 45min will you be on 60% speed for just those 2 hours? What happens at 2hr 1min? Does it reset back to full speed again?
Old 16-04-2013, 16:52   #58
pcoventry
Permanently Banned

pcoventry is infamous around these partspcoventry is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev445 View Post
I must admit, I’m just relieved that they aren’t limiting both the upload and download when you trigger one or the other
Oh but they did for me. Either that or I had a BB fault which meant I was reduced to 38mbps down and 2.75mbps up after I hit 11GB in the evenings.

Got plenty of evidence to back that up. It all went to the ASA as part of a 3 point complaint.
Old 16-04-2013, 16:54   #59
Salu
Inactive

Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Salu

In other news, Ferrari have just announced that they will be fitting square wheels to all their cars from now on.
Salu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 16:59   #60
pcoventry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Mark has answered some questions about the new policy over on the Community Forum http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...1796996#M20315

But one thing I'd highlight is
Some other background information for you, we're also working on a tool in My Virgin Media to allow you to see your current usage awe hope to release this in the next few months.

Awesome!

Oh hang on.. other ISP's have been doing this since 2000! - The only tools are half of the staff you let loose online

VM - We will NEVER "keep up" with our LIMITED broadband<-- new slogan (it's true after all as you will see more off in the weeks to come I am sure)

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firmsky View Post
So do these changes allow people to cancel their services as VM have changed their T&C's?

I used section J paragraph 3B to get out of my service. Don't see why you can't either!

Companys don't like it when their own legal stuff is used against them but as I have said for many many years - a contract works BOTH ways!