Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 14-05-2008, 23:59   #6631
serial
Inactive

serial is on a distinguished roadserial is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by basa View Post
Let’s face it, you can chew the fat forever and a day about the deployment of the Phorm/Webwise software, but I feel it will change nothing. The heat has gone out of the fight both here and at El Reg..........
This topic fired up on the web, blogs etc, then calmed but never subsided. We now have questions asked in parliament and at the european commission. This initial web based fight has been brought forward into real political/legal discussion. We have already changed the launch of the "legal" BT trials, we have already changed CPW to go opt-in and we have possibly changed Virgin to drop Phorm.
Advertisement
Old 15-05-2008, 00:02   #6632
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post
This topic fired up on the web, blogs etc, then calmed but never subsided. We now have questions asked in parliament and at the european commission. This initial web based fight has been brought forward into real political/legal discussion. We have already changed the launch of the "legal" BT trials, we have already changed CPW to go opt-in and we have possibly changed Virgin to drop Phorm.
Well said .....
Old 15-05-2008, 00:03   #6633
Paul Delaney

Quote:
Let’s face it, you can chew the fat forever and a day about the deployment of the Phorm/Webwise software, but I feel it will change nothing. The heat has gone out of the fight both here and at El Reg.
It's their move

We've got nothing to do but wait so why not chew the fat?

Don't forget that nothing, yet, has been implemented, even the ICO cannot, as they've already stated, make any further judgements until they can assess the product whilst it's being trialled...

Until something happens, there is no Webwise / Phorm, it's all just words and Kent's propaganda isn't it?

It's their turn to throw the stone and get the pool to ripple

Only then will they give us more ammunition –

I just think that right now the ISP's are wondering how they're going to pull this off without breaking a whole load of laws, knowing that they can no longer depend on nobody noticing, which, from what has transpired, they were kind of relying on when they were first approached by Phorm.

Bring it on...

Old 15-05-2008, 00:06   #6634
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

And while I am clapping, two for Alexander Hanff as well for his tireless efforts on this forum.
Old 15-05-2008, 00:17   #6635
roadrunner69
cf.member

roadrunner69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phormic Acid View Post
The joys of keyword matching. On the BadPhorm forum, serial has already suggested a most-inappropriately-placed-ad competition, to provide light relief for anyone who gets caught up in a Phorm trial.
http://www.newstatesman.com/200804240018

Bloody priceless
Its gonna have to be good to beat that.
Old 15-05-2008, 00:17   #6636
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Let’s face it, you can chew the fat forever and a day about the deployment of the Phorm/Webwise software, but I feel it will change nothing. The heat has gone out of the fight both here and at El Reg.
Stop being so spineless

Get a grip.

There is nothing to fight yet. So you build defences. Gather intelligence. Prepare your countermeasures. Rehearse and test your offensive/defensive strategy. Ignore the enemy bait and misdirection. And strike hard when the anticipated opportunities are presented.

Currently BT have been unable to make a single effective move, so powerful has the campaign against them been.

So let me ask you this question instead; where's the heat gone out of BT and Virgin's fight?

Sucks to be you BT and Virgin

Pete
Old 15-05-2008, 00:18   #6637
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
And while I am clapping, two for Alexander Hanff as well for his tireless efforts on this forum.
No one can argue with that one Alexander has been relentless in the battle to protect individuals from being phormed,classified and edited.

Old 15-05-2008, 00:27   #6638
Phormic Acid
Inactive

Services: Still to decide on Aquiss or Be
Phormic Acid is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Delaney View Post
It's their move

We've got nothing to do but wait so why not chew the fat?
Unfortunately, the Internet abhors a vacuum and is starting to fill that vacuum with guff. For example, look at the article Your Privacy for Sale: Internet Providers Cash In.
In fact it is already being used by three of the biggest Internet Service Providers in the UK … BT, Talk Talk and Virgin Media are currently using this software…
Old 15-05-2008, 00:29   #6639
warescouse
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner69 View Post

Bloody priceless
That is the big problem with adverts decided by parsing text.

Anti gun web pages vs pro gun web pages in America. They will both get the pro gun adverts! (you don't make money with anti gun adverts)
Old 15-05-2008, 00:34   #6640
roadrunner69
cf.member

Quote:
In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if the Government would support such deployment as it would tie in nicely with their anti-terrorist paranoia
If the phorm/webwise system goes ahead I suspect it will only hurry the deployment of a secure https web...something this (or any other) government would probably rather not have.

Quote:
Having read the replies to your post do your still feel as though the heart has gone out of the fight?
Old 15-05-2008, 00:42   #6641
Paul Delaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner69 View Post

Bloody priceless
How's this for Horrific (men you have been warned)

http://feministing.com/archives/003498.html

(I thought of this place immediately ads from there I would not want to see but if it's OTT I'll edit!)

Old 15-05-2008, 00:53   #6642
warescouse
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Delaney View Post
How's this for Horrific (men you have been warned)

http://feministing.com/archives/003498.html

(I thought of this place immediately ads from there I would not want to see but if it's OTT I'll edit!)
I think its a little OTT but if we could devise a lie detector test with this placed in a certain persons renal area with the device designed to trigger when economic truths or outright lies were spoken verbally or in electronic 'form' I would turn a blind eye.
Old 15-05-2008, 00:58   #6643
roadrunner69
cf.member

Quote:
I think its a little OTT but if we could devise a lie detector test with this placed in a certain persons renal area with the device designed to trigger when economic truths or outright lies were spoken verbally or in electronic 'form' I would turn a blind eye.
That'd make Kents eyes water
Live webcast?
Old 15-05-2008, 02:16   #6644
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Required lie-detector could be a simple motion sensor attached to his lips.
Old 15-05-2008, 07:17   #6645
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

It's the quiet times that are the most interesting. It's when the answers to the emails DON'T come back quickly that you know things are happening. It's when the trials get delayed, that you know there is a LOT going on.

Never misread the silence - it might be nine months pregnant.
Closed Thread