Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] CR3-Feedback & Questions in Here Please.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] CR3-Feedback & Questions in Here Please.

Old 27-03-2004, 22:18   #106
ntlrocks
Inactive

ntlrocks will become famous soon enoughntlrocks will become famous soon enoughntlrocks will become famous soon enough
Re: CR3: Any Feedback or Questions?

i believe its been said the rest of belfast is due this week ...can't wait! , well i was playin with my mates but his is slow, so hopefully my box can handle it better, and hopefully ill find out which games on Two Way TV are actually not Pay Per Play , lol
ntlrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-03-2004, 15:00   #107
DeKurver
Inactive

DeKurver is an unknown quantity at this point

Having had LCR3 for almost a week now, I thought I'd post my experiences so far. If you don't have LCR3 yet, it will probably help to refer to the Langley CR3 Screenshots on Digital Spy as you wade through the text.

Guide
This is a big improvement. The layout won't be particularly new to anyone that's seen Sky Digital, but it's definitely much better than the old Guide. You can see 7 channels (rows) with 3 half-hour slots (columns) for the programme listings per page. The mini-view in the top-right also means you can keep track of the current channel; it's a useful feature although you wouldn't want to watch the footy on it! You can also change the mini-view channel using the red button or simply by pressing channel up/down. I've found the Guide especially useful for setting up reminders in advance, but even with the mini-view I still find it a little too intrusive for normal channel browsing. I would prefer a +/-12hr option instead of +/-24hr since I'm typically setting up reminders for my evening viewing, so I want to be able to go from the morning to the evening quickly. It would also be nice to have the full programme name displayed for the current selection, otherwise I have to click Browse just to double-check that "Park" is actually "Parkinson", etc. One final bit of nit-picking is that I would like the channel list to wrap, i.e. I'd like to be able to go up from the 100s to the 900s and down from the 900s to the 100s.

Favourites
This reminds me of the old guide (although it's been a while since I've used it) overlayed on the current channel rather than in its own screen. In this view you can see 10 channels but no programme listings. To view the programme listings for a channel you have to press right (>), at which point the channel list expands to show the programme listings for the selected channel (up to 5 programmes per page). To move back to the channel list you need to press left (<) to hide the programme listings. I don't really use this view as I find the switching between the channel list and the programme listings a little awkward and repetitive. Also, the view occupies most of the screen when the programme listings are shown. Having said that, I think the channel list should also wrap in this view as suggested for the Guide above.

Mini Guide
This is the replacement for the old Browse feature. The layout is subtley different in that all of the information is now at the bottom of the screen; the old Browse used to display the name of the channel and programme you were viewing, together with the time at the top. The Mini Guide is shown by pressing TV (permanent) or any of the navigation buttons (disappears after a delay). I was a big user of the old Browse since I found it to be the least intrusive method available, but I'm disappointed with the Mini Guide; the fact that everything is in one place is better but the lack of page up/down support is a real killer. The lack of a 1st Channel button is also unfortunate since this provided a quick way to navigate past masses of channels by using the 1st channel as a "pivot". On the few occassions that I've used Sky Digital, I couldn't help but notice how rubbish the channel browsing was compared to NTL, but those advantages appear to have disappeared in LCR3. It also seems a little odd that, if I display the Mini Guide by pressing TV, The Mini Guide remains visible when I change channel; to me changing channel implies that I've finished browsing, so the Mini Guide should disappear after a delay even though it was displayed via the TV button.

Reminders
AFAICT reminders are now always auto-tune, which is fine with me as I always used auto-tune reminders before the upgrade anyway. It is also possible to cancel reminders now without having to go to the diary; anyone who's accidentally setup reminders in the past (like me) will be grateful for this. It would be nice if I could reduce the reminder display time a little more; currently it goes from 1 minute to no prompt, but I think 10 seconds and 30 seconds would be useful. No series links yet.

Buttons
There seems to have been a concerted effort to make the buttons consistent insomuch as they perform the same actions across different views. For example, in most views blue is Diary, Browse is More Info, etc. There are some exceptions, primarily because the avaliable actions change across views, however I'm still struggling with the changes to the TV and Browse buttons although I think this is just a matter of getting used to the new system. This might explain why page up/down isn't in the Mini Guide, because this would behave differently to the other views, i.e. it means +/- 100 channels rather than literally page up/down. In this case I think the benefits of page up/down in the Mini Guide outweight any consistency issues. It also looks like Menu (I think this is Text/TXT on Bromley remotes) got missed out; AFAIK this doesn't do anything in LCR3 and I can't remember it doing anything before the upgrade. Personally I'd like to have seen Menu assigned to Favourites, then Guide, Favourites and Mini Guide would have their own dedicated buttons. This would mean that, if you prefer the Favourites view, you don't need to go into the Guide or the Mini Guide first. It would also means that we could have a 1st Channel button in the Mini Guide. Out of curiosity, I wonder what the chances are of getting one of the new remotes free of charge if you complain that you're struggling to get to grips with the button changes on the old remote?

Performance
Many people have already noted that the new EPG can be a little slow. I'm not sure if this is just down to the initial roll-out or whether it is something more long-term, but it is something that I've become increasingly aware of the more I use it. The way that some of the red/green/yellow/blue buttons keep appearing and disappearing is particularly distracting. I think the old EPG left all the buttons visible and just didn't show a button label for buttons that served no function; using this approach would help with the new EPG (you could "dim" the button and label if you wanted to be flash, but given that performance is already an issue it's probably not a good idea). Skipping forward 10 or so hours in the Guide can also leave you waiting a while for the programme listings to update. A notification that programme listings are being updated would be useful, rather than displaying a bunch of "Programme information unavailable" messages (Favourites displays "Searching for programmes...").

Bugs
  1. The Mini Guide disappears when it shouldn't; it seems as though the delay is only reset when the view changes (i.e. different channel or +/- 1hr) rather than just by pressing a button. Intuitively, I would expect that pressing a navigation button would reset the delay. For example, assuming a 5 second delay:
    • Press a navigation button.
    • Wait 2 seconds.
    • Press down.
    • Wait 2 seconds.
    • Press up.
    • The Mini Guide disappears.
  2. Pressing +24hr in the Guide causes the mini-view to switch to Front Row previews. I've also seen this happen when selecting something other than All Channels, but I can only consistently repro it using +24hr.
  3. Occassionally, using the red button to change the mini-view displays the Diary instead of changing the mini-view, although I've yet to pin down the precise steps (I think it's related to selecting programmes that have already finished).
  4. The Guide doesn't really resize all that well. For example, if viewing a 16:9 (full) transmission the Guide forces itself to 4:3. If viewing a 16:9 (zoom) transmission the Guide stays in 16:9 (zoom) and so parts of the Guide are obscurred. Therefore if you change the mini-view from a 4:3 transmission to a 16:9 (zoom) transmission, it gets a little confusing. Obviously the Guide should switch to a known format to remain completely visible, but it would be nice if it tailored itself to the format specified in my preferences. This means you could make the half-hour slots a little wider for 16:9 (full) or maybe even fit in an extra half-hour slot.

So what does all this mean? Well it's difficult to give an overall verdict because one of the biggest features of LCR3, better red button support, will not make an appearance until the roll-out is complete (ch 120 does have red button support if you want proof that LCR3 can handle it). So far I've seen good (Guide) and bad (Mini Guide), but on the whole I'm encouraged by the upgrade; just fix the Mini Guide and I'll be over the moon.

I haven't gone through any of the On Demand stuff yet, so there are probably some other improvements that I've missed. Assuming anyone makes it this far, I hope you found this feedback useful.

Incidentally, does anyone know if it we can expect additional red button support for Euro 2004 and Wimbledon this year?
DeKurver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2004, 15:34   #108
magpie
Inactive

magpie is on a distinguished roadmagpie is on a distinguished road

Very detailed review - nice one!

Just one thing to note - bug #2 (switching mini-view to front row) is actually not a bug - there are technical reasons behind why this must happen.

re Euro 2004 and Wimbledon - I don't know the actual answer, but I can say that I personally expect the full interactive content!
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2004, 16:07   #109
ntlrocks
Inactive

ntlrocks will become famous soon enoughntlrocks will become famous soon enoughntlrocks will become famous soon enough

you made reference to the new remote?? , On the new remote, does the Browse button actually bring up browse, or do you still have to hit TV
ntlrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2004, 16:14   #110
DeKurver
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie
Very detailed review - nice one!

Just one thing to note - bug #2 (switching mini-view to front row) is actually not a bug - there are technical reasons behind why this must happen.

re Euro 2004 and Wimbledon - I don't know the actual answer, but I can say that I personally expect the full interactive content!
Thanks for clarifying the Front Row switching point, although you'd have to admit that from the user's perspective this is still unexpected behaviour (well, it left me wondering anyway ), even if there are technical reasons for it.
Old 28-03-2004, 16:23   #111
DeKurver
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntlrocks
you made reference to the new remote?? , On the new remote, does the Browse button actually bring up browse, or do you still have to hit TV
I'm assuming that the buttons have the same function, although I was only going by the screenshots on Red-Eye (I don't have one myself, hence my tongue-in-cheek reference). The main thing I noticed was that the TV button is in a slightly better position on the new remote, given that I use the TV button a lot more now. On closer inspection, it also looks like one of the buttons (top-right) is actually Favourites, which I guess explains why they didn't hook it up to Menu; the new remote already has a dedicated button.
Old 28-03-2004, 17:12   #112
bigitup_j
Inactive

Services: VM Phone, TV and 20mb Broadband
bigitup_j will become famous soon enoughbigitup_j will become famous soon enoughbigitup_j will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to bigitup_j Send a message via Yahoo to bigitup_j

on the new remote.
Text/Menu share the same button (both labelled, but is REALLY the text button), and
i/browse share the same button (both labelled, but is REALLY the i button)

text/menu does nothing on ex-cwc, and never has! be interesting to see what it will do in the future!
bigitup_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2004, 20:06   #113
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Something i've noticed is that it can be slow to accept channel inputs when they are dialed in. For example I want paramount so type 400. I see 40 on the box for a while and press 0 again thinking it missed the last 0 and find myself suddenly on the on demand channel 0. Back sorts this out though.

Good summary from DeKurver above.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 12:32   #114
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one
Thumbs up Re: CR3: Any Feedback or Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKurver
I haven't gone through any of the On Demand stuff yet, so there are probably some other improvements that I've missed.
First Post

I've looked @ on-demand and it runs pretty much the same in terms of speed but the layout is much better esp. the prices shown clearly in the 'list' view- useful when promotions are running.
Old 29-03-2004, 12:34   #115
poolking
Inactive

Services: Sky World 300k BB NTL Phone
poolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to poolking Send a message via MSN to poolking Send a message via Yahoo to poolking

When is the Stafford area going to be upgraded?
poolking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 12:36   #116
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolking
When is the Stafford area going to be upgraded?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam B
Finally, please do not ask about dates for other areas as these have not been released yet. This is because they are subject to change and we will not issue dates until they are confirmed to avoid disappointment and dissatisfaction. As soon as new dates are released, we will publish them here. In the same way, we will not answer questions about future developments, other than to give general intentions. We will, however, answer all queries, technical or otherwise, on this specific software where we can.

We look forward to your comments and questions.

Cheers
Sam
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 12:38   #117
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Just to clarify-I did ask for people to mail me with any specific questions/queries re CR3, & that I would forward them on to Sam B.

So far I think I have had 2 emails........
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 18:03   #118
adamp
Inactive

adamp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I'm new to this site so bear with me.

I tried to record the boat race yesterday but can't find what channel the video is on. So I can't watch it. I've had the LCR3 update if that helps.
adamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2004, 08:56   #119
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamp
Hi

I'm new to this site so bear with me.

I tried to record the boat race yesterday but can't find what channel the video is on. So I can't watch it. I've had the LCR3 update if that helps.
Couold you record from the cable box before the LCR3 update? This update should not have changed anything.

You will either be recording from channel 5 or 6 or somewhere on your VCR that is tuned to the composite output from the STB that is chained into your VCR then into the TV (the STB being the equivilant of the roof aerial).

Or you will have a scart from the STB to the VCR in which case you will be recording from AV1 or 2 (for the sake of this post AV1) depending on where it is plugged into your VCR.

If you also have the STB connected to the TV by scart (AV2), you can record this when the TV is switched on. The STB sends a signal to VCRAV1 which sends it out of AV2 and to the TV, the scart is bi-directional so can then send this back to the VCR to record. This will only work when the TV is on, so might by what you did wrong.
Old 30-03-2004, 08:57   #120
SMHarman
Inactive

Mrs H opinion of LCR3

Quote:
I Hate it, you press a button on the remote to change channels and it takes forever to respond. Can we go back to the old version channel switching was much faster