Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] CR3-Feedback & Questions in Here Please.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] CR3-Feedback & Questions in Here Please.

Old 23-03-2004, 09:55   #76
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
Re: CR3: Any Feedback or Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proppinupthebar
Yes theres a plan, and its being announced one week at a time.
If the whole plan was announced and it slipped due to whatever reason then there are plenty of people who will slate ntl for it. Sorry but its true.
I think this is fair enough - after all if they run into a problem in a certain area (find a bug, incompatability with a box, etc) then I guess ntl would be foolish to continue the roll-out until the problem was cured.

If you're told a date when something is going to happen - or even 'likely' to happen, and it doesn't then it would present a bad public image of the company, plus it might result in the faults departments being deluged with calls, which helps no-one.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-03-2004, 10:03   #77
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Ok people- Please Listen Up!

Can anyone else who has any further questions regarding CR3, please mail them to me (neilatnthellworlddotcodotuk) by the end of tomorrow?

I will be collating them all, & passing them to Sam B.

Cheers

N.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2004, 17:56   #78
byron_hinson
Inactive

Services: 50 MB Broadband and Phone
byron_hinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to byron_hinson

Well we've just been updated to CR3 here in Cambridge, can't say I'm really impressed, it doesn't look better in fact I'd say its worse, although some of the features are good. But as for the speed of guide, interactive etc - its just as bad as it's always been.
byron_hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2004, 21:10   #79
KenK
Inactive

KenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif
I think this is fair enough - after all if they run into a problem in a certain area (find a bug, incompatability with a box, etc) then I guess ntl would be foolish to continue the roll-out until the problem was cured.
Then again, ntl could be open and honest with their customers; publish a plan, then keep us informed about any delays and the reasons for them.

IMO, not doing so now - after 3 or 4 apparently successful roll-outs - shows a lack of confidence in their own product and/or their own ability to deliver it. Based on the Jan '03 debacle, ntl have been working on this for about 18 months now. Surely they're confident that every bug or incompatability has been dealt with?

Other companies would have been advertising something like this for weeks by now.
Quote:
If you're told a date when something is going to happen - or even 'likely' to happen, and it doesn't then it would present a bad public image of the company.
It couldn't be any worse than the one ntl has at the moment.
KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2004, 21:29   #80
Proppinupthebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK
Then again, ntl could be open and honest with their customers; publish a plan, then keep us informed about any delays and the reasons for them.

IMO, not doing so now - after 3 or 4 apparently successful roll-outs - shows a lack of confidence in their own product and/or their own ability to deliver it. Based on the Jan '03 debacle, ntl have been working on this for about 18 months now. Surely they're confident that every bug or incompatability has been dealt with?

Other companies would have been advertising something like this for weeks by now.
It couldn't be any worse than the one ntl has at the moment.
You are being kept informed honestly of the plan on a week by week basis. What advantage does knowing your particular date weeks in advance give you?
If a plan was published and couldn't be kept to then I'm sorry but many people would slate us.

Theres confidence in the code, and the delivery method.
Its easy to criticise when you don't understand the impact on other equipment of rolling out the software. Some regions are larger than others and the impacts on other equipment vary across regions and hardware versions.

Sky don't announce dates for software upgrades and as far as I know neither do Telewest.
Old 23-03-2004, 21:31   #81
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age

Well in NTL's defence, Sky were hardly forthcoming with info about the Sky Plus dual record software upgrade, which was as longed for by those users as CR3 is by Langley peeps...

EDIT: Er, what Proppin said
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2004, 09:04   #82
memsahib
Inactive

memsahib is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Cambridge. I have a 4001 box. Mine has not updated. Saw a friend last night and he also has a 4001 box and his has.

Rebooting mine results simply in "tune" being displayed for ever, and I can only get it working again by holding the down arrow on the front when power cycling, which bypasses the tuning in some way. That gives me a working CR2 again.

So I don't yet have CR3.

Thank God.

Played with CR3 at his house last night - it's dire in the extreme. Slow, obtrusive and ugly.

So, for how long can I live in the bliss that is CR2? I'm actually GLAD I still have it and don't want to update thank you ntl!
memsahib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2004, 10:09   #83
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Well...Luton franchise again...update:

Got home last night. Purple. No blue, just purple. Switched off the mains for a few mins to reboot. Purple.

So I guess it didn't happen after all. Or maybe I have such an old box that I haven't got the update yet.

On the plus side....new remote arrived yesterday. Much better than the old one, better buttons, nice TV control feature - kept me amused for...ooooh...minutes!
Old 24-03-2004, 12:13   #84
nstream
Inactive

nstream is an unknown quantity at this point

Update to:
I Live in Welwyn Garden City, part of the Luton franchise, no update yesterday on my 4001 box and neither did i this morning even though the box was in standby however switched the unit off at the wall and back on again and bobs your uncle no more queer purple on my TV
nstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2004, 13:47   #85
gohadz
Inactive

gohadz is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to gohadz Send a message via Yahoo to gohadz

Erm, my box the DI4001N keeps on crashing, its not as constant as it was earlier, but it gets very annoying as it seems to be crashing ever 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours.
gohadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2004, 14:27   #86
Tristan
Inactive

Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age

Think yourself lucky! The first time my box got CR3, it crashed exactly every 4 minutes, regular as clockwork.

Mind you, that was in 2001...
Old 24-03-2004, 22:00   #87
KenK
Inactive

KenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to all

(Proppin', thank you for all your posts on this and other forums. It's good to have contributions from someone who's really involved in what's going on. Any time I type 'you', I mean 'ntl' - don't take it personally! )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proppinupthebar
You are being kept informed honestly of the plan on a week by week basis. What advantage does knowing your particular date weeks in advance give you? If a plan was published and couldn't be kept to then I'm sorry but many people would slate us. Theres confidence in the code, and the delivery method.
Disagree - I'm being kept in the dark about the plan, except for what ntl choose to drip-feed on a weekly basis. I too work in a software delivery job; commitments are given to customers, and are met (almost regardless of cost). I want ntl to commit that they're going to deliver this upgrade to me, before they run out of steam or money and leave me without it. Delays to a plan are ok, abandonment of the plan would not be.
Quote:
Its easy to criticise when you don't understand the impact on other equipment of rolling out the software. Some regions are larger than others and the impacts on other equipment vary across regions and hardware versions.
Sorry, but that's ntl's problem, not mine. I can only presume it has been included in the plan.
Quote:
Sky don't announce dates for software upgrades and as far as I know neither do Telewest.
This isn't just a software upgrade, it's "a major improvement to our digital TV service", to paraphrase an ntl release posted somewhere. You'd think ntl would want the world to know about it.
KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2004, 10:24   #88
andygrif
Inactive

Luton update # 3.....

Home last night - purple gone! Blue in abundance. I have seen some people say that it is slow, and I do agree but not much slower for basic channel surfing than the purple.

Interactive is still rubbish, not sure they will ever have the system to rival Sky on that front - but then I guess I've got used to not using anyway.

I do like the new customisable features:

I've played around with the channel ordering thing - very nice, but I need to devote an entire afternoon of my life to it I think!

I like the way you can change the colour of the mini-guide (although why the mini-guide is not so mini I don't know), and the length of time it stays on screen for when you're surfing. Nice touch.

I noticed that my favourite board game is on the interactive now (don't know if it was added in CR3 or not), Reversi - but the speed of play is slow slow I gave up.

On the whole pretty good, thank god the purple is gone! Not sure if anyone can do anything about the speed of the thing though.
Old 25-03-2004, 13:08   #89
nstream
Inactive

nstream is an unknown quantity at this point

If you switch to box on and off a couple of times it seems to speed up a bit :S dont know why but its now faster than v5
nstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2004, 13:09   #90
Tristan
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstream

You'll have to speak up a bit!