Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] CR3-Feedback & Questions in Here Please.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Merged-Silver Samsung Box

Old 14-02-2004, 15:03   #1
Frank
cf.mega poster

Services: Beanfield 50/50 FTTH and iPTV
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Silver Samsung Box

We posted this news article up today and I've created this thread for discussion

http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/index.p...ype=news&id=29

I must say I really like the look of the box compared the Pace boxes, and I can see why a lot people may be clammering for one
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2004, 15:10   #2
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
Re: Silver Samsung Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser
We posted this news article up today and I've created this thread for discussion

I must say I really like the look of the box compared the Pace boxes, and I can see why a lot people may be clammering for one

but unless it does summat new , which it doesnt then what is the point apart from aesthetics , sorry i am not being negative , just wondering
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 15:11   #3
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I can see why a lot people may be clammering for one
I can hear people already, I want a silver box cos my friend has got one and some dummies being thrown when they hear the answer
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 15:29   #4
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age

It's based on the same chipset as the Pace 4000 boxes, which is a mixed blessing. While it's faster than 1000s and 2000s, many people have found them to be less stable.

Having said that, the Liberate coding for this one has been done by Samsung rather than Pace, so who knows?

I'd like one just for the colour
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 15:31   #5
zendawn
Permanently Banned

zendawn is a jewel in the roughzendawn is a jewel in the roughzendawn is a jewel in the roughzendawn is a jewel in the roughzendawn is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Like the look of it, just hope it doesnt still freeze liket the old box, and the EPG keeps up todate.
zendawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 16:48   #6
jonifen
Inactive

jonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nice

to be honest... I think it looks pretty good. A good thing to know would be if the clock auto-updates from NTL when its been rebooted. My girlfriend has a thing with switching off the wallsocket when rebooting our current STB (which can be a bit dicky at times), and it keeps resetting the video time

Looks good though, good news for ntl I think
jonifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 16:59   #7
Proppinupthebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonifen
to be honest... I think it looks pretty good. A good thing to know would be if the clock auto-updates from NTL when its been rebooted. My girlfriend has a thing with switching off the wallsocket when rebooting our current STB (which can be a bit dicky at times), and it keeps resetting the video time

Theres a time and date table sent out in the data which your box reads, the box doesnt show the time on the front tho, only in the onscreen info. So yes the box does update its clock.
Old 14-02-2004, 17:10   #8
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonifen

well you can but hope , btw to the site , and i hope your stay is enjoyable
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 17:39   #9
jonifen
Inactive

jonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
well you can but hope , btw to the site , and i hope your stay is enjoyable
cheers

I was a member of the old nthellworld... but had to re-register recently after finding out about the new forum.
Old 14-02-2004, 18:03   #10
Tristan
Inactive

Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age

jonifen, what box has your girlfriend got? There are key combinations which will reset them without the need to turn them off at the wall
Old 14-02-2004, 18:13   #11
jonifen
Inactive

We have the DiTV-1000 box (so it says underneath :p)
Old 14-02-2004, 18:23   #12
Tristan
Inactive

Press and hold okay, then left, then TV (on the front of the box)

It will magically reboot before your eyes!
Old 14-02-2004, 18:26   #13
jonifen
Inactive

nice one, thanks for that!
Will have to try that when I get home

to add though...
the silver samsung box would look great with the silver samsung video we have :p
Old 14-02-2004, 18:31   #14
wheeliebin
Inactive

wheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
but unless it does summat new , which it doesnt then what is the point apart from aesthetics , sorry i am not being negative , just wondering

I attended the training session for this box last week

It seems that the key differences are that there is increased memory (32MB)

And seperate processors for broadcast/broadband

From an engineers point of view there are some nice new pages in the diagnostics pages to aid in fault finding etc.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Whilst they look like to have made improvements in some key areas i would like to see em out in the franchises for a good spell.

BTW The policy will be that you cant simply demand one cos you have a silver telly. We shall see tho....should be interesting
wheeliebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 18:44   #15
jonifen
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeliebin
BTW The policy will be that you cant simply demand one cos you have a silver telly. We shall see tho....should be interesting
Well, our stb has been freezing and causing picture and sound to jitter a lot. It needs rebooting quite a bit too. But its been a bit like this for ages though really, we just never bothered phoning them up as the decision between resetting the stb or waiting for 30mins in a phone queue wasnt that hard to make

tbh though, I'll wait till it dies its death and then I'll ask for a shiny silver box :p