Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1GB Cap Letter!!!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

1GB Cap Letter!!!!

Old 04-04-2005, 17:18   #751
dirtydog
Inactive

Services: ntl 2Mb
dirtydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1GB Cap Letter!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
not starting to get to you is it
Well virtually every one of his posts says the same thing so yeah, just a tad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@huth
Charming
dirtydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2005, 20:11   #752
swoop101
cf.mega poster

swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I'll change my record when all those heavy users have the balls to own up to what they actually use their connections for.
Well I am a heavy user, I d/l stuff to preview them (music/vid/apps) and if I like them enough I will purchase them. If I don't like them enough I bin them, and feel satisfied that I did not waste money by buying things that don't live up to the PR/advertising hype that fills the mags/posters/flyer's and other advertising media.
If the makers/producers actually gave proper, detailed, truthful information then I/we would not feel this way.

so pal.
swoop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 20:14   #753
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

{----- Might want to be settling down a bit in here -----}

<Backs away from the thread slowly>
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 20:16   #754
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
{----- Might want to be settling down a bit in here -----}

<Backs away from the thread slowly>

tis getting a bit heated , i will open a window methinks
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 20:18   #755
swoop101
cf.mega poster

swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal

Wasup guys
He just got to me with that comment.
swoop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 23:03   #756
jonifen
Inactive

jonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nice

Quote:
Nobody in their right mind would choose a dialup connection over a broadband one. Dialup is not much cheaper, ties up the phoneline, is open to premium number scams, has to wait for connection and probably has a two hour cut off. Even people who only do a bit of surfing and emailing download the odd large (in dialup terms) file and would prefer to get it in seconds rather than half the evening. Having a 1Mb broadband service doesn't mean that you have to max it out 24/7.
If all I was doing was checking email and so on, dialup would be fine. I know how to use a computer and am not a fool so therefore would not be open to premium number scams. My brother in law has 256k ADSL. Checks email, chats a little on MSN and does a little surfing. He only changed from dialup as it worked out about the same cost. If you have read what I wrote, I said I would pick one or the other.

Quote:
Sticking all the really heavy users onto the same UBR is a great idea but I think most customers will not want to pay significantly higher charges to pay for their relocation to that UBRs area. The heavy users wouldn't like it either as they may not want to move house especially if they are put in the same area as all the other leechers and all have to compete for sales of their warez at the same boot sale.
Well, to be honest, you dont need to relocate to change UBR. That is something NTL can do their end I'm sure. Intercept the connections and route them through a different router. If BT can change it, I'm sure NTL can.

I'm not being funny or anything but if you dont mind me saying... it seems you have issues ian@huth... every one of these type of threads, you come in with your "My way or the highway" theories. There is ALWAYS 2 sides to every story.
jonifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 23:09   #757
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop101
Well I am a heavy user, I d/l stuff to preview them (music/vid/apps) and if I like them enough I will purchase them. If I don't like them enough I bin them, and feel satisfied that I did not waste money by buying things that don't live up to the PR/advertising hype that fills the mags/posters/flyer's and other advertising media.
If the makers/producers actually gave proper, detailed, truthful information then I/we would not feel this way.

so pal.
Absolutely spot on, if people didnt produce rubbish then the punter wouldnt be at risk of wasting their hard earned cash. Previewing is the only reliable way of ensuring you will get value for money.
Old 04-04-2005, 23:30   #758
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

The heavy users I am talking about are mainly the ones that think downloading less than 5Gb per day every day is not using broadband as it should be used. I get rather p****d off with members who quote all the legal uses of their connection such as downloading linux distros, downloading paid for films and music, etc then post a complaint about poor speeds and back this up with evidence that they are ripping off films that have only just been released in the cinemas. I'm sorry that I may offend some people but the blunt fact is that leass than 10% of users consume more than half the bandwidth in this country and most of this is mostly pirated material. These users are the main reason for caps. There is no justification for breaking the law but many otherwise law abiding people seem to think that as there is no physical object involved then it isn't stealing.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 23:59   #759
jonifen
Inactive

jonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nice

Quote:
The heavy users I am talking about are mainly the ones that think downloading less than 5Gb per day every day is not using broadband as it should be used. I get rather p****d off with members who quote all the legal uses of their connection such as downloading linux distros, downloading paid for films and music, etc then post a complaint about poor speeds and back this up with evidence that they are ripping off films that have only just been released in the cinemas. I'm sorry that I may offend some people but the blunt fact is that leass than 10% of users consume more than half the bandwidth in this country and most of this is mostly pirated material. These users are the main reason for caps. There is no justification for breaking the law but many otherwise law abiding people seem to think that as there is no physical object involved then it isn't stealing.
You have a point, but you cant overprice things and expect people to pay it. Everything goes up x% each year, yet people's salaries go up y% which isnt as high as x%. People are basically coming out with less money that they can spend on such things as going to the cinema etc. That is why piracy is as big as it is and it aint gonna change until the people who price things realise they're pricing themselves out of a huge amount of business.

I have very little disposable income that we can use on such trips out so I admit, I do watch some copied films. I dont download them as it takes too damn long (yes, I did try once - gave up after about 1hr and ~300Mb) and the internet is much better being put to use on genuine things like the kids on Miniclip.com etc (which is where 90% of our used bandwidth goes I'm sure).

1Gb is unrealistic for everyone. 2Gb is more like it. People need a damn good excuse for breaking 2Gb. We frequently do over 1Gb (albeit not much over) but we've never passed 2Gb which makes it more realistic for people with more than 1 PC in the house or people who have 1 PC thats never out of use by family etc).

They need to monitor areas with no advance warning and those found to be excessively passing the limits over a period of time should be dropped from the service or offered a slower service as the maximum available to them.

As for stealing things which have no physical object... you're illegally obtaining the right to watch/listen/use the film/song/program. You're not stealing it as the original owner can still use it too. "Stealing" is a word used to cover a large area of actions... the majority of which are not what the word ACTUALLY means.
jonifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:51   #760
umpa
Inactive

umpa is an unknown quantity at this point

I always thought that the speed cap controlled how much you can download in any 24hr period, lets face it you cant go ant faster than that.

Now it seems that they want us to be capped both ways.

If its a 1GB per day cap the speed should be unlimited.
umpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:23   #761
umpa
Inactive

umpa is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I hate do gooders, who are so full of their own self importance that they fail to realise that the average chap on the street, who goes to work, doing a **** low paid job, who does not drink, smoke, nor goes out much, so he can have his broadband connection @ £40.00 per month, as an ALWAYS ON - with a capped speed 'for the old reason of quality' - should not be then told - you cant use it as much for the same reason we make it go slow in the first place e.g. it slows the network down.

They moan about how much bandwidth costs - then bugger me double the speed for free.

Fact is, we are being punished twice - if they want to enforce a daily limit then give us unlimited speed.

remember - without users NTL is finished.
umpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:32   #762
dirtydog
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpa
Fact is, we are being punished twice - if they want to enforce a daily limit then give us unlimited speed.
I would agree, *if* ntl enforced the cap and made it physically impossible to go over it. At the moment the 'cap' is more a guideline, and they aren't stopping people going over it yet. I used over 70gig in March for example, and will continue using the service as I see fit until/unless told otherwise

ian@huth, your argument gets increasingly tedious I'm afraid. The only time people like me have listed lots of legal ways of using over 1gig a day, one of which yes, does include downloading Linux distros, is that people like you have stated the only way to exceed a gig a day regularly is by downloading warez and moviez. If you keep stating this untruth then expect others to keep correcting you.

As the poster above said, some of us download stuff to preview it before buying. I downloaded a few full episodes of Ally McBeal to see if I liked it.. I did, so I went ahead and purchased the DVD of the series. Without the preview I wouldn't have taken the chance that I might not like it.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:09   #763
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog
I would agree, *if* ntl enforced the cap and made it physically impossible to go over it. At the moment the 'cap' is more a guideline, and they aren't stopping people going over it yet. I used over 70gig in March for example, and will continue using the service as I see fit until/unless told otherwise

ian@huth, your argument gets increasingly tedious I'm afraid. The only time people like me have listed lots of legal ways of using over 1gig a day, one of which yes, does include downloading Linux distros, is that people like you have stated the only way to exceed a gig a day regularly is by downloading warez and moviez. If you keep stating this untruth then expect others to keep correcting you.

As the poster above said, some of us download stuff to preview it before buying. I downloaded a few full episodes of Ally McBeal to see if I liked it.. I did, so I went ahead and purchased the DVD of the series. Without the preview I wouldn't have taken the chance that I might not like it.
I have never said that there aren't perfectly legal ways of exceeding the cap, there are. What I am saying though is that most of the heavy users are not using their connection legally which is a different ball game altogether.

People may be being capped two ways, by speed and volume, but that is the way that NTL want to market their product. It is their product and they have the right to stipulate how it should be used. You have the right to decide not to use the service if you don't like the terms and conditions.

I can understand someone who never downloads anything illegally complaining about my posts but for someone who does and admits it in the same post is beyond belief. No amount of trying to justify why you do it alters tha fact that you are doing something illegal and in breach of NTLs terms and conditions.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:31   #764
dirtydog
Inactive

Quote:
I can understand someone who never downloads anything illegally complaining about my posts but for someone who does and admits it in the same post is beyond belief. No amount of trying to justify why you do it alters tha fact that you are doing something illegal and in breach of NTLs terms and conditions.
Do you work for the MPAA or something? Why do you care so much?

How many internet users do you think have never downloaded anything illegal, not so much as one mp3? I suppose you never have then?
Old 05-04-2005, 15:04   #765
obvious
Inactive

Services: ntl 20Mbps/Sky+/BT
obvious has a spectacular aura about themobvious has a spectacular aura about themobvious has a spectacular aura about themobvious has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via ICQ to obvious

Our friend Ian thinks he can change human nature while holding back the tide. He'll probably go on to prove that black is white and get himself killed on the next zebra crossing.
obvious is offline   Reply With Quote