Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] NTL Email Issues

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] NTL Email Issues
View Poll Results: NTL email - Any better ?
No - There has been no change 46 34.85%
No - Its got worse 63 47.73%
Yes - Its much better 17 12.88%
Pass - I dont use NTL email 6 4.55%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-05-2004, 10:05   #436
BizBo
Inactive

Services: VM 20mb. Over subscribed UBR...wooot, Great huh!
BizBo is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Email Outage

I know this won't help you guys, but I binned the sub-standard NTL email servers and now run my own server from home on a dedicated box.

I just got fed up of the service so I opted out.

BizBo
BizBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2004, 10:09   #437
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough
Re: Email Outage

There is no new email problem - it is just a continuation of the one that was officially announced mid-week. Clearly someone did not like the status showing outstanding problems last 3 days so they just re-entered the fault to reset the timer!

Other info on here and elsewhere indicated they lost a couple of key servers and there was some indication they might not fix them. That sounds strange unless you put it together with other info that indicates the whole email system is supposed to be upgraded to something completely different in June.

APS
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2004, 10:21   #438
abailey152
Inactive

Services: 60Mb VM BB Sky+HD
abailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to abailey152 Send a message via Yahoo to abailey152

I've just received my email, so it looks like it's back on again.
abailey152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2004, 10:31   #439
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APS
Clearly someone did not like the status showing outstanding problems last 3 days so they just re-entered the fault to reset the timer!
APS

That's just efffing great....do they not have a customer SLA?
I thought that's what we paid for!

Lee

PS - and yes - my email has just come back online as well - but for how long...
Old 22-05-2004, 11:21   #440
abailey152
Inactive

abailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant future
Re: [Merged] NTL Email Issues

Who knows? I think the SPAM and virus announcement is a smokescreen. The article in The Register said they had no idea what was wrong and I think that's closer to the truth.

Have you ever been to the zoo? Watch the monkeys with a crisp packet and think NTL. You'll then have an idea how they go about fixing these problems.
Old 22-05-2004, 11:30   #441
XFS03

Services: XL broadband ntl250 modem

It looks like they have merged the 2 previous faults (1 for outgoing mail & 1 for incoming mail) into 1 fault report. As mentioned earlier, it makes it appear as though the problem has only occured today. Sneaky.

It's still not clear (to me) what the problem is. According to the Service Status page, it's a "technical fault", but according to the "ntlworld email" link on ntl's home page, it is being caused by a virus attack on the network.

I don't know how ntl define a "technical fault", but I've always assumed it to mean something electronic, like a blown chip, burnt out resistor etc.
Old 22-05-2004, 11:58   #442
abailey152
Inactive

I can't believe it's just coincidence that NTL have been working on their email systems and suddenly everything goes pear-shaped. To be fair (yes, sometimes I am! ) NTL's technicians probably know exactly what the problem is. They've probably made some mistake, or some upgrade has taken another part of the system down. Or a new piece of equipment is causing problems. It happens. But due to NTL's information exchange with it's customers being more like a cloak and dagger operation, we are all left in the dark. Whatever the problem is, why don't they just come clean and give us a realistic time for it to be fixed?

The current message seems to just be nonsense. A virus attack.....what virus? Why were they susceptible to it? Will it affect us, the customers in any other way? As for saying an increase in spam has also caused it, why haven't the other ISP's suffered in the same way?
Old 22-05-2004, 15:55   #443
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey152
I think the SPAM and virus announcement is a smokescreen.
That's why I was looking for a raspberry emoticon
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2004, 18:23   #444
abailey152
Inactive

Yes, it would be apt!
Old 24-05-2004, 21:09   #445
caveman
Inactive

caveman is an unknown quantity at this point
Email off again

Can anyone remember when we had a couple of days continuous problem free email. I read the service status page and keep seeing service interuptions due to maintenance etc.
All this talk of increased speed on BB in the summer. I would just be happy to get my emails problem free for a week. For £25 a month, that's not a lot to ask for is it?
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2004, 21:11   #446
swoop101
cf.mega poster

swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
Re: E amil off again

well I nearly managed a day and a half, but it went tits up this afternoon again, maybe they will get it this time (not holding my breath)
swoop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2004, 21:26   #447
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Moved to EMail Discussion Forum.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2004, 22:18   #448
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I have not had any problems since last weeks outage - nor have my monitor systems detected any failures.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2004, 00:07   #449
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman
Can anyone remember when we had a couple of days continuous problem free email. I read the service status page and keep seeing service interuptions due to maintenance etc.
All this talk of increased speed on BB in the summer. I would just be happy to get my emails problem free for a week. For £25 a month, that's not a lot to ask for is it?
My email has been working fine... what are the error messages that you are getting? are you trying to logon to webmail or using outlook express?
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2004, 00:20   #450
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

For the past two or three weeks my email has been better than ever before with the exception of one day.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote