Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] NTL Email Issues

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] NTL Email Issues
View Poll Results: NTL email - Any better ?
No - There has been no change 46 34.85%
No - Its got worse 63 47.73%
Yes - Its much better 17 12.88%
Pass - I dont use NTL email 6 4.55%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-05-2004, 18:51   #376
threadbare
Inactive

threadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of light
Re: [Merged] ntl Email Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
It's Lycos's 1 gig mail offering @ £3.49 per month.

Hmmm-Coming Soon is it!?

[Edit]-Beaten to it by Russ!
ahh cant access stuff like that
threadbare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-05-2004, 18:58   #377
abailey152
Inactive

Services: 60Mb VM BB Sky+HD
abailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to abailey152 Send a message via Yahoo to abailey152

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntl customer
Perhaps it is time for ntl to replace the pentium 1 boxes with 500Mb HDD's
They are using Pentiums? I thought they were using an old 386 for the email server!
abailey152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2004, 19:24   #378
The_real_dj
Inactive

Services: 40 MB Sky BB with telephone and skyHD for TV :)
The_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really nice

today ive just recieved 5 or 6 copies of all my emails!!
Has anyone else had this prob??
The_real_dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2004, 19:39   #379
Boab
Inactive

Boab is an unknown quantity at this point

My email has been terrible lately. Finally managed to get some joy on webmail but really slowwwwwwwwwwww.

When I tried to reply the response I got on webmail was

"The SMTP server had insufficient storage for the message: 452 Filesystem error - message not accepted"

Looks like the HDDs are full on the servers
Boab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2004, 19:44   #380
abailey152
Inactive

abailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant future

Yeah, I'm receiving mail okay (or at least it appears to be okay), but about half the messages I send come back with an error. However, the messages do get sent okay.....weird!
Old 18-05-2004, 20:32   #381
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreador
Filtering by content is one thing, and shouldn't be done by the ISP - apart from virus-containing attachments that could easily be blocked, either by bouncing the email
*NEVER* bounce e-mails in this way because it only adds extra traffic and just makes problems for some other poor sod. A few months ago someone was sending out virus infected e-mails with my address faked in the from field and my inbox was inundated by loads of messages telling me that I had a virus, which I knew damn well I hadn't!
Old 18-05-2004, 20:33   #382
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencreeper
I like those catalogues. You can spend many an hour, often with a friend or partner, trying to work out which bit of the body goes in/over/through each item :pp You must get some strange emails
I do indeed, but you'll have to PM for any more information...!
Old 19-05-2004, 08:37   #383
dr wadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr wadd
I should set Spampal temporarily to only use the Spamhaus blacklists. If it is still classifying mails as spam it will indicate that the senders are on the Spamhaus lists, and if I receive any of those mails it would strongly suggest that the claim that NTL are performing spam filtering is incorrect.
Ok, this has been tested. Spampal was set so that the only filtering it was doing was on the basis of the Spamhaus lists, all other blacklists disabled and filtering by originating country also disabled. My e-mail has just been downloaded after about 10 hours. There were a couple of spam messages that weren`t picked up, but Spampal correctly identified 63 using Spamhaus alone. If these are even getting to me in the first place it is highly indicative that NTL are not performing spam filtering, certainly not using the Spamhaus lists.
Old 19-05-2004, 09:34   #384
Boots
Inactive

Boots is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm getting doubles.

Also 2 days ago sent 2 messages to my hotmail address, one at 08:00 and one at 20:00. The second made it within minutes, the second is still out there somewhere. Mate in Oz tells me (via hotmail) he hasn't received emails sent a few days ago.

Any recommendations for an independant email service. Been looking at UKwired

Boots
Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2004, 09:36   #385
Boots
Inactive

Boots is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
the second is still out there somewhere
Ooops - that should have read the first.

I must preview my messages.

Boots
Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2004, 09:41   #386
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Well the fact I had a collection of mails sitting in mine and Mrs H outboxes lastnight that would not go for the first time since we have moved to smtp.ntlworld.com indicates to me something is wrong.

So I used it as the kick I needed to move all my smtp over to i-web. Its a little slower at authentication, but I imagine that is due to it needing to authenticate rather than just check the IP address is in an appropriate range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
It's Lycos's 1 gig mail offering @ £3.49 per month.

Hmmm-Coming Soon is it!?

[Edit]-Beaten to it by Russ!
I-web £10.69 a year. Little less space, but a saving of £30.

http://i-websolutions.co.uk/cfhosting.php
  • 100 MB of Web Space
  • 2000 MB of Bandwidth
  • 100 Pop3 Accounts
  • Unlimited E-mail Aliases Web Mail Access
  • Spam Assassin Spam Protection
All sent...

No more NTL mail servers for me now.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2004, 09:42   #387
mnw21cam
Inactive

mnw21cam is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_real_dj
Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey152
Yeah, I'm receiving mail okay (or at least it appears to be okay), but about half the messages I send come back with an error. However, the messages do get sent okay.....weird!
This is a direct consequence of the NTL servers violating the RFCs, by refusing a message but delivering it anyway. Of course, the sending client (because it was told that the server did not accept the message) tries to send it again and again until it gets told that the message has been accepted.

I sent an email to root@smtp.ntlworld.com to try and point this out to them. According to my exim logs, it was rejected by their server ten times before finally being accepted.
mnw21cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2004, 09:46   #388
mnw21cam
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreador
Bouncing I can understand. But what's the problem with removing the virus-bearing attachments?
Basically, because if an email is infected with a virus, it is extremely likely that the email was fabricated entirely by the virus engine, and therefore has no useful content. In fact, a virus scanner should be able to tell whether this is the case by knowledge of the various virus types etc. Therefore stripping out attachments and delivering the email merely turns virus emails into spam emails.

I believe the discussion was also complaining about the way that virus scanners use "cleaned" emails as a way of advertising their particular anti-virus product.
Old 19-05-2004, 09:50   #389
abailey152
Inactive

Quote:
This is a direct consequence of the NTL servers violating the RFCs, by refusing a message but delivering it anyway. Of course, the sending client (because it was told that the server did not accept the message) tries to send it again and again until it gets told that the message has been accepted.
The question is, will NTL do anything about this issue? I doubt it. Once the sending problem is fixed, they'll forget about it.
Old 19-05-2004, 10:15   #390
mnw21cam
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey152
The question is, will NTL do anything about this issue? I doubt it. Once the sending problem is fixed, they'll forget about it.
Yes. The software they are using has a bug - when the disc runs out of space it violates RFCs. Their solution will most likely be to add more disc space, ignoring the software problem.