Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntl Telewest and Big Brother 7 News.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Can 2mb get any slower

Old 31-05-2006, 23:10   #1
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Can 2mb get any slower

I am trying to download new drivers for my soundcard hoping it will resolve a problem. I am on 2mb and this screenshot shows me downloading at a a fantastic speed of 5.2KB/s
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-05-2006, 23:26   #2
MagicMan
Inactive

MagicMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Can 2mb get any slower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence
I am trying to download new drivers for my soundcard hoping it will resolve a problem. I am on 2mb and this screenshot shows me downloading at a a fantastic speed of 5.2KB/s
2Mb will always be 2Mb I think

Maybe its a server side issue with the speed. Where (exactly) are you located? I'm in Manchester and I'm currently downloading from MSDN at 240kb/s on my 2Mb
MagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 23:35   #3
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

from realtek.com.tw/downloads
Old 01-06-2006, 00:04   #4
MagicMan
Inactive

Quote:
from realtek.com.tw/downloads
Realtek in my experience have never been the most reliable/speedy of servers but I would expect a little more than 5k.

Is this a regular thing (speeds dropping at the same time every night)?
Old 01-06-2006, 00:09   #5
2||Para
Inactive

Services: 20MB BB,Sky TV
2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice

Im on 10MB and downloads from ASUS are painfull,everything else i dl is fine.Probably just a issue their end.
2||Para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 00:11   #6
MagicMan
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2||Para
Im on 10MB and downloads from ASUS are painfull,everything else i dl is fine.Probably just a issue their end.
Asus are another notoriously slow for downloads. Even downloads from their UK servers are usually pathetic.
Old 01-06-2006, 00:25   #7
twinkle
Inactive

twinkle has some notorietytwinkle has some notorietytwinkle has some notorietytwinkle has some notoriety

you should try my 10 meg at the moment

been good for a long time now it sux
twinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 00:43   #8
Florence
Inactive

I have droped down to 516k in the evening and its fine the rest of the time but as always according to tech support in India its my end.

it can be fine for days then suddenly drop at peak times again
Old 01-06-2006, 12:20   #9
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones

Im luck in that I only use the connection during the 'office hours' at weekdays so I never really suffer. Having said that Ive never had issues at weekends either.
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 17:28   #10
James Henry
Permanently Banned

James Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these parts

Well I'm downloading from realtek at a magnificent 12kB/s so I think you're pointing the blame in the wrong direction this time around.

If you aren't happy with the contention you are seeing you really should consider an alternative supplier, that's about all there is to say about both this and your other complaints.

You have complained repeatedly but have done nothing. If ntl's service isn't to your satisfaction make your decision, vote with your feet and go elsewhere.
James Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 19:07   #11
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Henry
Well I'm downloading from realtek at a magnificent 12kB/s so I think you're pointing the blame in the wrong direction this time around.

If you aren't happy with the contention you are seeing you really should consider an alternative supplier, that's about all there is to say about both this and your other complaints.

You have complained repeatedly but have done nothing. If ntl's service isn't to your satisfaction make your decision, vote with your feet and go elsewhere.
When I have problems I contact tech support and end up in India.

Since the charge has gone up I try not to contact them unless I lose the internet totally as any other time is a waste of my time and money.

Not sure where you fit in to say I have done nothing but unless you have been tapping my calls or spying on my house you wouldn't know.

The fact I complain when I have a problem and not tell lies to get a reduction.

If your replies cannot be constructive then please ignore my posts.

As I have said its time related and seems to be local to Manchester friends in other areas have no speed issues!!!!!!!!!

Today its fine again and I have often posted a thankyou to who ever has sorted out the problem.

When I have a problem I check my side out first, do tracerts and check friends on NTL both in Manchester and other towns.
Old 01-06-2006, 22:00   #12
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
i thought i'd see if i could also get your problem here in wythenshawe.

the simple short answer is your getting the WDM_A388.exe file from a crumby FTP server.

given the info you supplyed this is my findings at 10pm
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&Software=True shows 3 ftp sites to get that file from

ftp://152.104.238.194/pc/ac97/alc650/WDM_A388.exe starts at 133 drops to 78KB
ftp://202.65.194.18/pc/ac97/alc650/WDM_A388.exe starts at 86 drops to 26KB
ftp://61.56.86.122/pc/ac97/alc650/WDM_A388.exe starts at 85 drops to 17KB

i did a search from the NTL front page and came back with this
http://www.filemirrors.com/search.sr...&size=18160746
taking this http://www.onlylsoft.com/WDM_A388.exe as the first option i got started at 240KB droped to 159KB

so simply the ftp servers pointing from http://www.realtek.com.tw are cr@ppy were as, a reasonable
mirror is far faster, im not trying to defend NTL but in this case and perhaps several others are wrong to expect NTL to take the blame for slow downloading, it looks like the linked to ftp servers are on residential upstream.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 00:42   #13
LagRealm
Inactive

LagRealm is an unknown quantity at this point

few months ago i was dloading on the speed of 0.98KB/s on 2MB connection. So I guessed mine is the slowest ever.
LagRealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:33   #14
James Henry
Permanently Banned

James Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
When I have problems I contact tech support and end up in India.

Since the charge has gone up I try not to contact them unless I lose the internet totally as any other time is a waste of my time and money.

Not sure where you fit in to say I have done nothing but unless you have been tapping my calls or spying on my house you wouldn't know.

The fact I complain when I have a problem and not tell lies to get a reduction.

If your replies cannot be constructive then please ignore my posts.

As I have said its time related and seems to be local to Manchester friends in other areas have no speed issues!!!!!!!!!

Today its fine again and I have often posted a thankyou to who ever has sorted out the problem.

When I have a problem I check my side out first, do tracerts and check friends on NTL both in Manchester and other towns.
I thought what I said was quite constructive. You post on here repeatedly complaining but are doing nothing about it, you don't call tech support unless you experience a total outage and according to your own words when you have contacted them in the past you've been told repeatedly that it's a problem at your end. Clearly the service isn't to your satisfaction so why are you keeping it? It is infact your constant complaining on here without doing anything about it that is not constructive. You have just said precisely that in your post.

Highly unlikely that anyone sorted it for you to be honest, as it's clearly contention related the load on the network dropped. I'm aware that it's a local problem, I do have a vague idea about these things, however I fail to see the relevance of how many people it affects. The point is that it affects you, who cares how many other people it affects if your supplier isn't doing their job for you personally?

My post pointed out the low performance of the FTP server. Far more constructive than your repeatedly posting on any speed related thread about how poor your service is while not reporting the speed fault and not considering another supplier.

Don't need to be spying on you you post on here quite frequently about issues, how it's ruining your gaming, bad browsing etc. Why are you paying £25 a month for this, what exactly do you think you owe ntl as you clearly have some misguided sense of loyalty to them which is a shame you could get a better service cheaper elsewhere, IE one that actually works as advertised 99%+ of the time.

Don't see how any of that isn't constructive, complaining on a website for the sake of it isn't constructive. Didn't need to post something totally irrelevant in big red letters to try and get my point across either (high pings to first hop are always local, someone in Stoke on Trent isn't going to be using the same uBR card as you).
James Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:01   #15
Phil Capron
Inactive

Phil Capron is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes download sites are very slow and yet an alternative may be much quicker.None of this is Ntl's problem.Your car may capable of 100 mph but you don't do that all the time do you?Especially when you stop,getout and go into a shop to buy something.If you see what I'm trying to say!
Phil Capron is offline   Reply With Quote