Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Car Phone Warehouse BB

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Car Phone Warehouse BB

Old 11-04-2006, 15:45   #61
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
Re: [Merged] Car Phone Warehouse BB

hundreds of pounds a year for extra services? eh? I smell bull****e from BT.

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

you pay £11 a month line rental just as you would with BT. that's £132 a year. then you pay £10 a month for the 'extra services' which is £120 a year.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2006, 16:10   #62
James Henry
Permanently Banned

James Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
Bulldog is FULL local loop unbundling which means they unbundle the voice and data part and therefore can do the line install. all other LLU operators that I can think of do the partial LLU ie. just the ADSL part - so BT are responsible for the line install. if they unbundle the data part I think they pay BT £6.66 a month for the line - full unbundle reduces the cost to around £2.
Nope WLR / Wholesale Line Rental / 'full' unbundling is more expensive than SMPF / Shared Metallic Path Facility. Currently it's £25.17 + VAT per quarter for WLR compared to £15.60 a year for SMPF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
LLU isn't the leading edge of broadband, it's the bleeding edge.
Mine has been very reliable, was connected on time, withing 10 working days, has been unavailable for 3 hours or so in 4 months and gives consistently high download speeds, low latency, and high quality of service.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/sp...6e5160283326d7

Pinging www.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=50
Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=50
Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=50
Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 9ms, Average = 8ms

Think Wanadoo have found out what was causing a lot of their issues, it's procedural not technical.

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Agreed, & it's a deal that will shake the living daylights out of the whole Telco/BB market.
Here's hoping that it won't lead us to a ton of ISPs all offering services as cheaply as possible with no innovation or value add just bare bones connectivity.

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaggaDagga
I just don't understand why they're deploying 8Mb systems. I would hope that their systems are all 24Mb-capable (as Be are already using), otherwise they'll have to replace everything again soon.

If they were doing 24Mb then NTL might as well give up and go home, as I doubt you could ever match this over a shared network.
They aren't, it's quite difficult to buy kit that only does 8Mbit and not ADSL2+ / 24Mbit now. The 8Mbit is the maximum they can offer until they've unbundled exchanges though.

You'd be surprised what you can get out of a shared network, ever heard of ethernet? Even fibre to the home is a shared network ya know
James Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 16:34   #63
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/...free-broadband
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 16:37   #64
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

thx for that!

if they did all the sums, then IMO the talktalk is still better, as wat price can u put on unlimited international calls..... hmmmm... ntl's crappy way of getting out of this topic........

PS the £30 a month the ntl dood is talking about includes 512k vs 8mb, and NOT UNLIMITED UK CALLS AT ANYTIME vs UNLIMITED UK AND INTERNATIONAL CALLS AT ANYTIME.... tbh the news seems to have caught many of the big companies offguard....
dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 16:41   #65
James Henry
Permanently Banned

James Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW
Quote:
Cable customers can also enjoy broadband combined with a phone service and advanced digital TV services, including TV on demand, from £30 a month. Whereas Carphone Warehouse customers taking this new deal would be hit by bills totalling nearly £36 if they wanted to add Skyââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s basic TV package.
A lot of operators are skirting around this and trying to find ways in which their deals are better. Yes it would be £36 a month for Sky basic and this package, BUT ntl's £30 a month deal doesn't include free phone calls to the UK and several international destinations.

If you use VoIP or mobile and don't use the landline then potentially ntl could be cheaper for sure, however most still use the phone here and there, and for anyone with a landline call bill over £6 a month or who likes the extra channels that the Sky basic pack comes with over the ntl basic pack it's a better deal.

By the way:
Quote:
Value isnââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t just about price and we have become the UKââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s biggest broadband provider by offering quality and reliability
Haha. Nothing at all to do with price and bundling services. Due to the requirement for a BT landline ntl's a la carte broadband services can be very cheap for those who don't want a landline. No-one in their right mind can describe ntl as being exceptionally high quality or reliability, they are a pile high and sell cheap mass-market broadband provider, for whom cutting corners to reduce costs at the expense of the customer experience is far from unknown (transparent proxies anyone?).
Old 11-04-2006, 16:46   #66
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

From ntl:telewest said, quality and reliability ... that is BS, they USED to be quality and reliability which is why we stayed with NTL for so long, but we ditched NTL's telephone for BT and NTL's digital TV for Sky.

We'll see that they don't care when they start loosing thousands of customers over this ... if NTL don't start offering more speed with current prices i'm moving to another provider, NTL used to be good value, now they seem to be not competitive enough.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 17:02   #67
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

I agree Quality and Reliability is the true test of this new product but I'm not sure NTL are competing at that level either.
Old 11-04-2006, 17:04   #68
James Henry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack001
From ntl:telewest said, quality and reliability ... that is BS, they USED to be quality and reliability which is why we stayed with NTL for so long, but we ditched NTL's telephone for BT and NTL's digital TV for Sky.

We'll see that they don't care when they start loosing thousands of customers over this ... if NTL don't start offering more speed with current prices i'm moving to another provider, NTL used to be good value, now they seem to be not competitive enough.
It's not going to be about the speed, but the quality in my opinion. If CPW can deliver on the quality of service to go with the good pricing ntl:telewest may have to forget about those huge profits they were contemplating from the cost savings of the merger and burn it all in investment in services and lower pricing.

Interesting times ahead indeed with all the LLU entrants. Sky and BT coming to an exchange near you with TV over DSL as well.
Old 11-04-2006, 17:04   #69
UncleBooBoo

I think I may have found a new provider!

Seems like a good deal to me!
Old 11-04-2006, 17:04   #70
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

Sounds like a tempting offer, but I can't check wether it's here, because i'm on Bulldog's C&W line, which isn't recognised, doh
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 17:08   #71
etccarmageddon
Inactive

use one of your neighboors phone numbers and postcodes - that should be enough to find out if it's likely to be available.

---------- Post added at 17:08 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoolwelshbloke
Seems like a good deal to me!
I think it's the best deal on offer at the moment.
Old 11-04-2006, 17:14   #72
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

I've checked and i'm able to get it, i'll wait a month or so to see what NTL:Telewest do, and to see if CPW deals with this well, if all goes well bye bye NTL.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:09 ----------

COMPARING BROADBAND COSTS
Carphone Warehouse Talk3: £20.99
BT Option 3: £26.99 + £11 BT line rental
NTL Telephone & Broadband: £32.99
Tiscali Broadband & Anytime Talk: £21.99 + £11 BT line rental

*Prices are for monthly standard rates, including some free landline phone calls and a minimum download speed of 2Mb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4898212.stm
Old 11-04-2006, 17:50   #73
James Henry
Permanently Banned

*Giggle*

The supplied telephone number and Post Code do not match
We are unable to proceed because of the above error. You may wish to re-enter your number and postcode and try again.

Thank you

Some teething troubles methinks
Old 11-04-2006, 18:20   #74
Bill C

I am signing up with Ukonline upto 22meg for there unlimited connection. So there is no way in hell i will sign for a capped connection.

I will wait and see how long before CPW go the way of 0800-2-go and redhotant .
Old 11-04-2006, 18:26   #75
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited
I am signing up with Ukonline upto 22meg for there unlimited connection. So there is no way in hell i will sign for a capped connection.

I will wait and see how long before CPW go the way of 0800-2-go and redhotant .
If you use P2P or Newsgroups, don't bother going to UK Online, they block them full stop.