Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Car Phone Warehouse BB

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Car Phone Warehouse BB

Old 11-04-2006, 09:46   #16
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: [Merged] Car Phone Warehouse BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxbandit
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Henry
Because without the lighter users paying more than they need to to subsidise the heavier ones the packages get prohibitively expensive. That's the problem.
that's not a problem - that's supply and demand.

sure, there should be sensibly priced higher tiers too, but i don't see how you can argue that heavy users shouldn't have to pay their share.
The problem is that what most people's idea of sensibly priced and what actually is sensible pricing for the ISP (ie, still profitable) are two totally different beasts.

If the new service takes a significant number of NTL's lower tier customers, then NTL would have to raise prices for the higher tier customers to compensate. This could mean (theoretically) the higher tier prices going back up to £50, or even further. I don't know the exact figures (even that £50 is a guess), but I do know that NTL do take a significant loss on the higher tiers, to keep the price where it is.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2006, 10:05   #17
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age

ah, ok, i can see the problem there. as soon as someone is offering cheap, low use broadband, then faster speeds may well get more expensive - i'm not sure there's a way round it!
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:06   #18
Hans Gruber
cf.addict

Services: VM XL TV, Phone, 100mbit Internet.
Hans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enough

I think if NTL started charging £50 a month again people would feel entitled to download the entire internet
Hans Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:11   #19
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

carphonewarehouse are offering 'free' broadband with a healthy usage allowance. this is likely to fuel a price war.

but let's not forget there is another issue here apart from usage allowances and price and that's customer service and reliability. the CPW product might be cheap and good value but who knows what problems they might have - e.g. they could go the same way as Wanadoo who currently are botching up their conversion to LLU.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:22   #20
DaggaDagga
Inactive

Services: Royal Mail snail mail. No telly. Wind-up gramophone. Posts: 125,837.56
DaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant future

Any ISP would be mad to raise prices at the moment. Just by keeping prices static, customers are sure to drift away with offers like this around.

If NTL start to struggle then they'll have to become more efficient to keep up. If they can't then they'll die. Such is competition.

Their 40GB cap would be fine for me, and I'm sure many other moderately high users. They are at least being very open about it.
DaggaDagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:40   #21
paul11974
Inactive

Services: xl phone & xl tv 2mb broadband £34.95pence
paul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of light

ok can we settle a few things here

will i need to get a bt phone line for this or will the carphone warehouse come and install there own line ?

if i dont have a bt line at present how will i know i can get the service ?

how much do bt charge to install a line ?

£20.99 now will that be it for free uk calls free 8mb broadband and free calls to Canada, USa Australia, France, Ireland
Austria, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden Cyprus
Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary
Estonia, Slovenia Latvia, Lithunia, Slovakia Malta

wow now that is some deal
paul11974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:45   #22
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul11974
ok can we settle a few things here

will i need to get a bt phone line for this
Yes, although CPW will take over the rental for this (you will no longer pay line rental to BT)

Quote:
or will the carphone warehouse come and install there own line ?
See above.

Quote:
if i dont have a bt line at present how will i know i can get the service ?
You need a BT line.

Quote:
how much do bt charge to install a line ?
If the property has had BT before then they will reactivate the line for free, but for a new install it's £99 I believe (but that may now change in light of the CPW announcement)

Quote:
£20.99 now will that be it for free uk calls free 8mb broadband and free calls to Canada, USa Australia, France, Ireland
Austria, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden Cyprus
Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary
Estonia, Slovenia Latvia, Lithunia, Slovakia Malta
Looks like it.

Quote:
wow now that is some deal
Agreed, & it's a deal that will shake the living daylights out of the whole Telco/BB market.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:47   #23
paul11974
Inactive

paul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of light

my house did have a bt box in but i think i ripped this out when imoved in
Old 11-04-2006, 12:48   #24
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
my house did have a bt box in but i think i ripped this out when imoved in
Then you need to be prepared to BT to charge you.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:48   #25
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Hopefully they pull it off without the problems that seem to blight offers such as this. I can see the uptake on this being huge.

Certainly I'd be tempted to jump ship, I'd probably get 4-5 Mbps on Adsl so a drop in speed but the price is very tempting and 40GB should be enough for me.

What I can't see (might just be being a bit blind) is what happens if you go over the cap. Anyone know?

And the talktalk site seems to be down right now. Hopefully not an indication of things to come.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 13:07   #26
paul11974
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Then you need to be prepared to BT to charge you.

why i could do this myself it cant be that hard its just a cable to a oustide box on the front of my house
Old 11-04-2006, 13:34   #27
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
why
Because that's the terms of the BT service that you will need to sign up to.

Quote:
i could do this myself it cant be that hard its just a cable to a oustide box on the front of my house
Then it may be worth you trying that before you get BT round.
Old 11-04-2006, 13:44   #28
DaggaDagga
Inactive

Services: Royal Mail snail mail. No telly. Wind-up gramophone. Posts: 125,837.56
DaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant future

I managed to read their FAQs before their website got over-busy (a sure sign that NTL for one are going to lose a chunk of customers).

It's an NTL-style CAP. In other words, only a problem if you regularly exceed it. There is no mention of extra charges. They reserve the right to close accounts of people who regularly exceed it.

All sounds very reasonable to me. There really isn't a catch.

This, for the first time, is broadband that would be affordable for the likes of my mum, who only occasionally uses the net. At this price, you may as well have it.
DaggaDagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 13:44   #29
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

its LLU from June onwards or whenever, but till then u get to use BT IPSTREAM............
dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 14:01   #30
King Of Fools
Inactive

Services: 2 for £22 (Broadband Size: M and Phone Size: M), Free TV Size: M and fries!
King Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful one

Quote:
why i could do this myself it cant be that hard its just a cable to a oustide box on the front of my house
But that would be against the BT terms and conditions as you should not touch anything between the internal master socket and the BT exchange.

Also, it is more than just a wire as you will also need a BT master socket (with internal electronics) and I do not know if you can buy one.
King Of Fools is offline   Reply With Quote