Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Car Phone Warehouse BB

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

[Merged] Car Phone Warehouse BB

Old 13-04-2006, 03:54   #151
mattfrn
Inactive

Services: Premium collection
mattfrn is on a distinguished roadmattfrn is on a distinguished road
Re: [Merged] Car Phone Warehouse BB

I see alot of people talking about the 18 month contract , it does say in the small print( i am too tired to look it up now and show a link) but if you leave before the end the most you would be charged is £70 which is not as bad as £20.99 for each month you have left
mattfrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-04-2006, 08:00   #152
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Henry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASILBRUSH
The reason the LLU only went to 8mb not the 24mb a friend of mine works in the internet control room for telewest was telling me to go 24mb need a router that costs 60,000gbp and needs 8 cards costing about 10,000 each so for every exchange you looking to spend in the region of 250,00gbp that's a lot of money to recoup and the odds are bt will not upgrade this for at least i reckon about 7-10years unless they need to costs are too high on equipment
Hi Basil

The rest of it is purely opinion but for the bit above I'm not sure what the Telewest chappy is talking about, and I don't think he knows what he's talking about either.

The kit that CPW buy will do both the 8Mbit and 24Mbit straight out of the box, no extra cost for 24Mbit support over 8Mbit. DSLAM manufacturers don't produce ADSL only cards anymore as far as I know.

No need to load up 8 10k cards in each exchange at all, you add cards as required to connect new customers to, and the chassis itself is the same price whether you are running 24Mbit ADSL2+ or 8Mbit ADSL.

They are advertising the 8Mbit service as they haven't unbundled yet and 8Mbit is the highest they can go. Perhaps in the future they'll go to 24Mbit, their kit will be ready straight out of the box
Having installed this kit for the last 3 months now for Tiscalie and Opal "Long story, BTW Opal is CPW" i can state that you are correct and the person in Telewest is incorrect. The equipment i have been installing and commissioning is llu and is adsl2+ compatible. you can set it for up to 8 meg or up to 24meg. The telewest engineer will have had more experience with cisco Ubr and this is what he could be talking about.
Old 13-04-2006, 09:30   #153
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

there's another reason not to go with CPW! Bill has installed it!
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 10:18   #154
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
there's another reason not to go with CPW! Bill has installed it!
Totally uncalled for.

so that's the sum of your answer. Dont go with it because someone you have not met has installed the equipment.

Go find a barrel and scape at the bottom of that because that is where you are at now.
Old 13-04-2006, 10:29   #155
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfrn
I see alot of people talking about the 18 month contract , it does say in the small print( i am too tired to look it up now and show a link) but if you leave before the end the most you would be charged is £70 which is not as bad as £20.99 for each month you have left
Contracts are not relevant.

ntl were classic for this-"you can't leave as you're in a 12 month contract"

Absolute cobblers-contracts work 2 ways. You agree to pay & they agree to provide you with a service.

The 18 month CPW contract is neither here nor there, if the product is crap then there isn't a court in the land that would make you stay.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 12:33   #156
DaggaDagga
Inactive

Services: Royal Mail snail mail. No telly. Wind-up gramophone. Posts: 125,837.56
DaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited
Totally uncalled for.

so that's the sum of your answer. Dont go with it because someone you have not met has installed the equipment.

Go find a barrel and scape at the bottom of that because that is where you are at now.
I suspect this may have been a joke. I read it as one anyway.
DaggaDagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 13:07   #157
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

Bill relax, your leg was being pulled!

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaggaDagga
I suspect this may have been a joke. I read it as one anyway.
it was indeed.

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Contracts are not relevant.

ntl were classic for this-"you can't leave as you're in a 12 month contract"

Absolute cobblers-contracts work 2 ways. You agree to pay & they agree to provide you with a service.

The 18 month CPW contract is neither here nor there, if the product is crap then there isn't a court in the land that would make you stay.
...but they can put debt collectors onto your and screw up your credit rating by putting a mark on your credit file?
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 13:15   #158
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
but they can put debt collectors onto your and screw up your credit rating by putting a mark on your credit file?
But if handled correctly by the customer, this will never happen.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 13:33   #159
DaggaDagga
Inactive

Services: Royal Mail snail mail. No telly. Wind-up gramophone. Posts: 125,837.56
DaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant future

Court judgements would badly affect your credit rating, i.e. if a company sues you and the court rules in their favour.

If you go to court and tell them they failed to deliver their side of the contract then they won't get a judgement against you.

I suspect that, in reality, no company would sue a subscriber in such circumstances. It would backfire and make them look like muppets.

However, I don't know whether the likes of ISPs directly report to credit rating companies. I got my credit report and, for my credit card - there is a string of numbers that shows how much in arrears for the previous few years I was. Where I'd forgotten to pay for a couple of months once (before the days of direct debits), a "2" was shown, e.g. 000001000120000. Of course, this alone wouldn't stop you getting credit, but it would be a factor and may mean you pay a higher interest rate in future.
Old 13-04-2006, 13:33   #160
Bill C

Quote:
Bill relax, your leg was being pulled!

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

then i stand corrected and say sorry for my outburst. You could have added this
Old 13-04-2006, 13:41   #161
paul11974
Inactive

Services: xl phone & xl tv 2mb broadband £34.95pence
paul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASILBRUSH
right to me this doesnt look like such a good deal there are several things that concern me with this excuse me for sounding negative but i will make these points
1. there is an 18 month contract if you get poor service seems your stuck

3. you buying this for the phone essentailly whats to stop them once on board from changing there tariffs on the phone lines once you are happily using away just a thought
answer to question 3 because you are on a 18 month contract and if they did break there side then im sure you could break yours
paul11974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2006, 18:57   #162
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by welwynrose
I've just read this on another site

Following Talk Talk's offer, NTL has brought out a offer to match even better!
This offer is only via enquiry only as they are not advertising this offer until they identify how many users take up the talk talk offer, but it is available from today. Phone them up and ask.
Lets compare:

Details for Talk Talk
£29.99 set up fee
40GB cap download limit per month
Upto 8MB download speed (realistically less than 5% will get 8MB, most will get 1MB/2MB)
18 Month Contract
Telephone line
Call plan - talk talk
£20.99 a month

Details for NTL:
Free set up - no fee
Unlimited Download Limit per month
2MB Broadband (garanteed)
12 Month Contract
Telephone line
Talk unlimited 24 call plan
£20.99 a month
Interesting word garantueed, ntl marketing not knowing whats going on I see then as many parts of their network cant handle 2 meg speeds and that could cause people to complain when they download from australia and dont get 2mbit.

I can see the broadband market changing yet again now but the only winners will be light users, heavier users are in big trouble now as everything is shaping towards low end pricing and caps and shaping. This is why we got the shaping here because everything is based on ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â£ÃƒÆ ’‚£ of product and its all customers are looking at, this is why I am not so keen on this product.

Ntl themselves now are in a mess because after all this time they still havent sorted out their capping, it is easily breached on the top tier still so I assume they still have no capability to properly enforce it, leaving them to either offer low speeds with unlimited or high speeds and a cap, the 10mbit with 75gig cap now looks a very bad product, the lower 2 tiers are still attractive because of their "unlimited" but only compared to BT ipstream and wannadoo, other LLU do blow them out of the water.

With reliability and quality, I wouldnt rare ntl good in that regard, out of almost 3 years of service I must have had well over 12 months of ubr oversubscription problems, proxy problems, billing problems, peering problems. The only good thing is I havent had any actual full on outages.

If ntl were to compete they need to sort out their capping so it is an actual cap rather then just a detterant and I expect the cap would also have to be raised to a 3 figure number for 34.99, this will kill of the 3tb+ downloaders and give them extra revenue and able to offer higher speeds for a lower price. Alternatively they could just do what telewest have done and simply raise the speeds of bottom 2 tiers and make the top tier unlimited but I fear ntl simply havent got the network capacity to handle the increased traffic everything seems to be borderline with saturation all the time.

Perhaps something like this.

Phone alone basic £11.50
Tv alone basic base (analogue) £7
2mb BB alone unlimited £29.99

Free BB offer.
Phone + tlk u24 + tv family pack £29.99 includes free 2mbit BB 12 month contract.
If leave contract only £100 admin fee.

10mb bb offer 50gig.
Phone + tlk u24 + pay by direct debit + tv family pack + sky movies + sky sports + pay for 3 ppv events per month £44.99
Includes 10mb bb 50gig cap
£100 leave fee
24 mnth contract.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2006, 21:18   #163
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
Interesting word garantueed, ntl marketing not knowing whats going on I see then as many parts of their network cant handle 2 meg speeds and that could cause people to complain when they download from australia and dont get 2mbit.

I can see the broadband market changing yet again now but the only winners will be light users, heavier users are in big trouble now as everything is shaping towards low end pricing and caps and shaping. This is why we got the shaping here because everything is based on ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â£ÃƒÆ ’‚£ of product and its all customers are looking at, this is why I am not so keen on this product.

Ntl themselves now are in a mess because after all this time they still havent sorted out their capping, it is easily breached on the top tier still so I assume they still have no capability to properly enforce it, leaving them to either offer low speeds with unlimited or high speeds and a cap, the 10mbit with 75gig cap now looks a very bad product, the lower 2 tiers are still attractive because of their "unlimited" but only compared to BT ipstream and wannadoo, other LLU do blow them out of the water.

With reliability and quality, I wouldnt rare ntl good in that regard, out of almost 3 years of service I must have had well over 12 months of ubr oversubscription problems, proxy problems, billing problems, peering problems. The only good thing is I havent had any actual full on outages.

If ntl were to compete they need to sort out their capping so it is an actual cap rather then just a detterant and I expect the cap would also have to be raised to a 3 figure number for 34.99, this will kill of the 3tb+ downloaders and give them extra revenue and able to offer higher speeds for a lower price. Alternatively they could just do what telewest have done and simply raise the speeds of bottom 2 tiers and make the top tier unlimited but I fear ntl simply havent got the network capacity to handle the increased traffic everything seems to be borderline with saturation all the time.

Perhaps something like this.

Phone alone basic £11.50
Tv alone basic base (analogue) £7

Free BB offer.
Phone + tlk u24 + tv family pack £29.99 includes free 2mbit BB 12 month contract.
If leave contract only £100 admin fee.

10mb bb offer 50gig.
Phone + tlk u24 + pay by direct debit + tv family pack + sky movies + sky sports + pay for 3 ppv events per month £44.99
Includes 10mb bb 50gig cap
£100 leave fee
24 mnth contract.
jus skimmed read ur deals... i think the ntl boss would like a worker like u, but in reality companies like talktalk are offering much better deals, and while most customers dont know what they're actually in for when they move to other companies, they will just see the price and move.... then ntl will hardly have any customers left.....

edit: i am talking about this:

Phone alone basic £11.50

bulldog offer 8mb i think unlimited for a very similar price, so why would some1 join/stay with ntl???

PS, u may argue that u dont need a phone line with bulldog, but u need A PHONE LINE IN THE HOUSE RIGHT [on most occasions], and also talk talk's deal is only £21.50. .........
dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2006, 00:29   #164
DaggaDagga
Inactive

In my crystal ball, in 6 months time I see:

Phone: £10 including calls
Broadband: £10 for 10Mb, uncapped but shaped
TV: Probably half of what it currently costs - I'll stick with Freeview though.

Any company that increases any of its prices at the moment would be nuts. Up until now, the prices have remained almost constant but speeds have gone up. If NTL's network is full, then prices will have to drop if they want any customers.

Either that or they go for the "Sainsburys" strategy - keep prices high and get your profits from those who can't be bothered to shop around. This kept Sainsburys very profitable until the customers slowly realised, and all jumped ship to Tesco.

Tesco was once the David to Sainsburys Goliath. They were poor quality, and Sainsburys weren't very worried. Look at them now. Seeing something similar with the LLU companies and NTL?
Old 15-04-2006, 00:59   #165
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

I still go to Sainsburys
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote