Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Car Phone Warehouse BB

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Any ADSL Offer this???

Old 30-04-2006, 03:56   #1
Mauldor
Inactive

Services: 50mbit, Base TV, Base Phone
Mauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of light
Any ADSL Offer this???

In my Travels for an ADSL Providor, I cannot seem to find the right one that offers what I need - wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction..

What I do not need or care about
Email - Currently have 2500 With my WebHoster
Web Space - As above as I already have 15gig and 400Gig Bandwidth month.
Speed - as my exchange (Scunny) has no Un-Bundling of any ISP - max I can get it 'upto' 8mbit anyhow.

What I would like
Included half decent News Groups server - even if retention is low (ala NTL). BT for example have NO Binary Newgroups.

Caps and restrictions
It seems most have a cap, this I have no issues with as long as they include a time when there is no Counting (such as 12am - 8am) - then at least I can grab what I might need overnight.

Traffic Shaping - I read about Freedom 2 Surf and how they Shape 24/7 - though they claim this is not the case. I have a friend on them and news downloading for example is def shaped even though the night...

Support
I expect of course for the line to go down/have problems - after al this is the real world etc. I would expect for example the ISP to have a page that shows me the REAL problems not an odd couple. Support also needs to be half decent, just becuase I have a router does not mean its all my fault etc..

So what you think?? does such a beast exist? I am NOT a Heavy Downloader, I do not use P2P ever (and never will), Upload speed I would like to be faster as possible, downlaod speed not really bothered..
Mauldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-04-2006, 14:13   #2
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Any ADSL Offer this???

I've been using "Firefly" since late Feb, after moving to a non-cabled area after several years of using ntl.

I chose Firefly after a lot of hunting around trying to find the right ISP for me, & after reading many excellent reviews at ISPReview & Net4Nowt.

Being a small ISP, they've not yet introduced an up-to-8meg "ADSL Max" product, althoguh I read they're planning something soon.

I currently have their "Lite+30" package, which gives a 2meg connection with a 30GB/month cap for £24.99. Don't think they have a period where the cap is not counted, but 30GB has been more than enough for me anyway so it doesn't matter for me.

They also have uncapped packages.

They do 12 month contracts with free activation, or 3 month min. contracts with paid activation.

No traffic shaping AFAIK.

Newsgroup access is good. You also get Giganews access.

The support is excellent.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote