Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The state benefits system mega-thread.

Old 06-03-2021, 19:14   #2656
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Firstly no it does not clearly demonstrate anything this was only family and his grand kids. Plus he might have been acting ok another classic symptom of mental illness is hiding it from family and those close to you

The guy had obviously took a turn for the worse as he isolated himself long enough to die alone waiting to be found by the bailiffs

As I said you clearly have no idea about mental illness at all

I can only guess but the added stress of the review along with other factors triggered a worsening of his symptoms.
If he was ok with his family, he wasn't clinically depressed.
Quote:
On Wednesday, the DWP was found to have acted lawfully in stopping Errol’s benefits.
Mr Justice Bourne ruled that the DWP “were confronted with a complete cessation of contact by Mr Graham and an absence of any attempt by him to do anything to permit his ESA review to progress… neither the legislation nor the defendant’s policy at the time mandated any further specific steps to be taken.”
Quote:
Liverpool FC-supporting Mr Graham was "outgoing" before his depression worsened after his dad's death in 2005.
Clinical Depression.
Quote:
The term clinical depression is commonly used to describe depression that is a type of mental illness, not a normal, temporary mood caused by life events or grieving.
Quote:
Mr Graham's daughter-in-law told the Mirror: "He had always plodded along as long as he got the financial support needed.

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

Quote:
End of the day the guy was clearly to sick to cope without benefits as he died without them so whatever anyone says the DWP stopping his benefits contributed to his death and the decision to stop them was wrong

It is one thing sanctioning the unemployed for not seeking work when they should but sanctioning the mentally ill is clearly dangerous
When you say "benefits", you mean money.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2021, 19:25   #2657
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
If he was ok with his family, he wasn't clinically depressed.

Ok I am going to repeat myself again. Clearly you have no idea about mental illness
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 19:39   #2658
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Ok I am going to repeat myself again. Clearly you have no idea about mental illness
NOT clinical depression. He could, and did, "snap out of it".
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 19:47   #2659
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
NOT clinical depression. He could, and did, "snap out of it".
Are you Trolling or do you seriously believe what you are saying?

Research smiling depression

It is perfectly common for those suffering Clinical Depression to hide it from people and I really do not want to have to repeat myself yet again but thinking otherwise show you have no idea about mental illness
Old 06-03-2021, 20:04   #2660
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:

It is perfectly common for those suffering Clinical Depression to hide it from people and I really do not want to have to repeat myself yet again but thinking otherwise show you have no idea about mental illness
He's trolling and will keep you going all night. It's a sad existence....
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 20:52   #2661
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
He's trolling and will keep you going all night. It's a sad existence....
There speaks a man with experience..
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 21:58   #2662
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

Whatever the Tories do and I mean whatever this individual will always defend them.

As a floating voter and anyone with a normal outlook on life, I support or don't support the things that I believe to be right or wrong, regardless of which party is involved. I have friends from across the political spectrum and even the most die hard Tories recognise that they sometimes get things wrong and one of them is often their treatment of the disabled since 2010.

Ironically, some psychiatric conditions e.g. Aspergers can give rise to particular obsessions and some can cause a total lack of empathy/compassion, which is discussed here:

https://bpsmedicine.biomedcentral.co...%20alexithymia.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 22:32   #2663
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
However those dealing in the area of social services are often overworked and underpaid with huge workloads of people needing care.
And even bigger workloads due to the last 10 years of cuts and to add insult to injury a pay freeze this year despite doing their best to continue delivering the service during the pandemic.

I'm now expecting the odd post detailing social service failures over the last year to try and show how they are crap and so don't deserve a pay rise.

Also, as a Mental Health First Aider it surprises me when people you thought were as tough as old boots and coping fine confide in you , while those you think are struggling just carry on.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 00:55   #2664
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
And even bigger workloads due to the last 10 years of cuts and to add insult to injury a pay freeze this year despite doing their best to continue delivering the service during the pandemic.

I'm now expecting the odd post detailing social service failures over the last year to try and show how they are crap and so don't deserve a pay rise.

Also, as a Mental Health First Aider it surprises me when people you thought were as tough as old boots and coping fine confide in you , while those you think are struggling just carry on.
Not heard of Mental Health First Aiders before. Are you someone who people that are struggling can talk to at work?
Old 07-03-2021, 09:30   #2665
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Firstly no it does not clearly demonstrate anything this was only family and his grand kids. Plus he might have been acting ok another classic symptom of mental illness is hiding it from family and those close to you

The guy had obviously took a turn for the worse as he isolated himself long enough to die alone waiting to be found by the bailiffs

As I said you clearly have no idea about mental illness at all

I can only guess but the added stress of the review along with other factors triggered a worsening of his symptoms.
There is a huge link between money worries and MH issues that the DWP have no care for. Each little bit of pressure to fill in forms & have assessments by people with zero knowledge of how MH affects people, adds to their reduced engagement with those who can help.

DWP are not set up to be proactive and find it easier to do nothing & say no to payments. Rather than look at the evidence of how their systems are adding to the problem, instead of solving it.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:50   #2666
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

For many years I felt there was a senior management culture where I work of if you couldn't see it then it wasn't happening. So if I severed my arm they'd do their best to make sure it couldn't happen again but if my mental health was being impacted by work procedures the council would do nothing to change the procedures even when they knew there was a problem.

Things started to change when someone in a different department who has complex mental health issues barged in to a senior management meeting and blocked the door and made them listen (wish I could have heard her as she was in a manic phase at the time and while it's not funny, she's the first to admit she could do stand up during that phase of her illness). The next day she tried to self harm but it went too far and she almost took her own life. Finally the penny dropped and things started to change.

There's 5 of us in my little team, but we're part of a bigger group of about 50. Over this past year I've had quite a few calls from people who are not having a great time and often it's just knowing there's someone there who will just listen and can help you if you really need it. I make sure I speak to everyone in my team at least weekly and they know if they need to they can call for a chat (or a scream!) any hour of the day or night.

I could go on as it's something I really do believe in but you can find out lots more here and I would urge anybody to encourage their employer/organisation to make sure they look after their people's mental health.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 20:57   #2667
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
There is a huge link between money worries and MH issues that the DWP have no care for. Each little bit of pressure to fill in forms & have assessments by people with zero knowledge of how MH affects people, adds to their reduced engagement with those who can help.

DWP are not set up to be proactive and find it easier to do nothing & say no to payments. Rather than look at the evidence of how their systems are adding to the problem, instead of solving it.
An excellent summary of the DWP since David Camerons introduction of a 'stricter benefit regime'.

When I worked in benefits processing, we would go and visit people who were struggling, particularly if they were known to have mental health issues. We even used legislation in place to award payments where they were unable to complete or sign a claim form.

It's not the case now, the DWP have been underpaying some pensioners for years. When they found that some were entitled to as much as £100,000 back pay, they started saying that they would only go back for 12 month's (this is being challenged).

Remember, this is an insurance scheme that they & their partners have paid into to help with their old age.

If anyone knows of a pensioner who may be affected, please read this thread for more information. The longer this is left, the more likely they will be to lose money:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33709864

After pressure, the DWP will now check some claims, but others will simply miss out on something that would make them more comfortable in their twilight years. You can bet your life that if the pensioners had been overpaid they wouldn't only go back for 12 months.

---------- Post added at 20:57 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
For many years I felt there was a senior management culture where I work of if you couldn't see it then it wasn't happening. So if I severed my arm they'd do their best to make sure it couldn't happen again but if my mental health was being impacted by work procedures the council would do nothing to change the procedures even when they knew there was a problem.

Things started to change when someone in a different department who has complex mental health issues barged in to a senior management meeting and blocked the door and made them listen (wish I could have heard her as she was in a manic phase at the time and while it's not funny, she's the first to admit she could do stand up during that phase of her illness). The next day she tried to self harm but it went too far and she almost took her own life. Finally the penny dropped and things started to change.

There's 5 of us in my little team, but we're part of a bigger group of about 50. Over this past year I've had quite a few calls from people who are not having a great time and often it's just knowing there's someone there who will just listen and can help you if you really need it. I make sure I speak to everyone in my team at least weekly and they know if they need to they can call for a chat (or a scream!) any hour of the day or night.

I could go on as it's something I really do believe in but you can find out lots more here and I would urge anybody to encourage their employer/organisation to make sure they look after their people's mental health.
You're 100% right in that mental health/disability isn't taken as seriously as physical problems that people can see. I have experienced this personally, even by people who like to virtue signal their liberal values.

Good on you for becoming a Mental Health First Aider to help others, I respect you for doing your bit to help others..
Old 08-03-2021, 08:00   #2668
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
An excellent summary of the DWP since David Camerons introduction of a 'stricter benefit regime'.

When I worked in benefits processing, we would go and visit people who were struggling, particularly if they were known to have mental health issues. We even used legislation in place to award payments where they were unable to complete or sign a claim form.

It's not the case now, the DWP have been underpaying some pensioners for years. When they found that some were entitled to as much as £100,000 back pay, they started saying that they would only go back for 12 month's (this is being challenged).

Remember, this is an insurance scheme that they & their partners have paid into to help with their old age.

If anyone knows of a pensioner who may be affected, please read this thread for more information. The longer this is left, the more likely they will be to lose money:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33709864

After pressure, the DWP will now check some claims, but others will simply miss out on something that would make them more comfortable in their twilight years. You can bet your life that if the pensioners had been overpaid they wouldn't only go back for 12 months.

---------- Post added at 20:57 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

You're 100% right in that mental health/disability isn't taken as seriously as physical problems that people can see. I have experienced this personally, even by people who like to virtue signal their liberal values.

Good on you for becoming a Mental Health First Aider to help others, I respect you for doing your bit to help others..
When far more goes unclaimed than any overpayment, the system is skewed. Throw in the fixation on benefit fraud rather than problems with tax collection and you can see the mind set.

Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:50   #2669
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
When far more goes unclaimed than any overpayment, the system is skewed. Throw in the fixation on benefit fraud rather than problems with tax collection and you can see the mind set.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
This graph really does say a lot, Well it certainly says a lot more than the Tories did when IDS introduced Austerity a number of years ago and actively targeted the poorest in the country and pushing the Tax payer into blaming those on benefits for the state of the economy
Old 10-03-2021, 22:37   #2670
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
This graph really does say a lot, Well it certainly says a lot more than the Tories did when IDS introduced Austerity a number of years ago and actively targeted the poorest in the country and pushing the Tax payer into blaming those on benefits for the state of the economy
Absolutely correct, by fair or foul means too. They even get their friends in the private sector to do their dirty work for them, paid for by the taxpayer of course. These private companies, paid for by the results that the Tories want to see, have no place in the benefit assessment process:

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.co...21tvp1IbGeNGDU

This woman took them to court because of the affect that their behaviour had on her. When a court awarded her compensation, they continued making things difficult by ignoring it. It was only when debt collectors were called in that they paid up.

Presumably to 'punish' the woman, the DWP called her in for another assessment within days. An MP had to become involved as she wasn't due to be reassessed again until 2023.

When asked why they had done this, they 'declined to apologise to her' and simply spewed out the usual corporate waffle that's expected these days from public servants expected to properly serve the public who pay their wages & elect the MP's who ultimately employ them.