Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 18:09   #61
DeadKenny
Inactive

Services: PlusNet 2Mbps Premier. BT. Sky Digital. TiVo.
DeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enough
Re: Another speed increase?

I wonder if this as a result of their investigations into ADSL over NTL copper?

From what I understood, ADSL gives NTL more chance of delivering high speeds as they can fit equipment very close to the customer and the technology is cheaper (and not subject to the same noise hassles that coax has).

I can't see the coax system managing to keep a stable connection for 10Mbps (it could never deliver a stable connection even at 1Mbps for me).

Anyway, "coming soon" I suspect will be the order of the day here
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2005, 18:10   #62
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
Eeee, I remember the days when 512k was considered ntl's "top-tier" broadband
I remember the days when I had a 9600 baud modem (9.6kbps)

I remember once it took 45 mins to download a 1.5meg file. (I remember cuz I didn't half get some hassle over it from my parents). Nowadays, quite a few of my posts take longer than that, let alone anything else!
Old 07-08-2005, 18:16   #63
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I still haven't bothered upgrading to the 1MB free upgrade.I think I'd better inquire about it this week.
Old 07-08-2005, 18:21   #64
IanUK
Inactive

IanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really nice

Quote:
I also heard somebody saying something about a P2P from BBC?? No idea what this is?
That was me

I'm signed up to beta test the new BBC beta P2P style project later this year, they are going to start putting their library onto the net - available to all License payers, thats going to be quite some content !

Although its too early to know yet, I'd hope that the bandwidth provision is generous on the new 10mb service, as otherwise the free P2P service from the Beeb will work out quite costly for NTL customers !
Old 07-08-2005, 18:27   #65
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwig
Don't forget the Download movie rentals which are hopefully going to hit it off bigtime!!

I also heard somebody saying something about a P2P from BBC?? No idea what this is?

The point is though if you are downloading at 10Mbit you are gonna need alot more upstream to be able to communicate with wherever you are getting the data from? Am I right in thinking this?

Oh and one last thing.....

What is 10Mbit in KB/s?? 1,100KB/s??
Why should NTL provide free bandwidth for you to download a rental video that they get no income from? They could however provide the same video with the only charge to you being for the bandwidth used to get it to you with all the profit going to NTL rather than a third party.

The amount of upstream required depends on the protocol being used. UDP and RTP would require less upstream bandwidth than TCP.
Old 07-08-2005, 18:28   #66
Earwig
Inactive

Services: 10MBIT, NTL Sky Digital
Earwig is on a distinguished roadEarwig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanUK
That was me

I'm signed up to beta test the new BBC beta P2P style project later this year, they are going to start putting their library onto the net - available to all License payers, thats going to be quite some content !

Although its too early to know yet, I'd hope that the bandwidth provision is generous on the new 10mb service, as otherwise the free P2P service from the Beeb will work out quite costly for NTL customers !
That should be great if it all works out. Just think of the programmes you have access to ! !

Wildlife programmes on demand...
Past Top Gear eps.....
Blue Planet......
Red Dwarf.....

Hope we are allowed the bandwidth to be able to use it effectively.

Oh....Do they need anymore testers??
Old 07-08-2005, 18:45   #67
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
I still haven't bothered upgrading to the 1MB free upgrade.I think I'd better inquire about it this week.
Running of this post then ( your STILL on the 300k? ) would it be possible to not pay any upgrade fee and remain on the 2mb while I assess wether I wish to pay more for this new speed?
Old 07-08-2005, 19:30   #68
eshaq786
Inactive

Services: Bluyonder 1MB Telewest Unlimited Phone Line Telewest Digital TV, Sky
eshaq786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Heard of telewest trialling 10mb. Didn't even know ntl were already planning a launch. I suspect they will launch together. Wonder if it will be before or after a merger.
Old 07-08-2005, 19:36   #69
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxodriver
Running of this post then ( your STILL on the 300k? ) would it be possible to not pay any upgrade fee and remain on the 2mb while I assess wether I wish to pay more for this new speed?
Patience little one, nothing has been announced yet, wait and see whats to come
Old 07-08-2005, 19:40   #70
quadplay
Inactive

Services: 9am, 1pm and 8pm daily
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array

Quote:
What is 10Mbit in KB/s?? 1,100KB/s??
The maximum theoretical download speed possible at a downstream speed of 10Mbps (= 10,000Kbps = 10,000,000bps) is:
10000000 / 1024 * 1460 / 1518 * 1 / 8 = 1174 KB/sec, or just over 1 megabyte per second.

(See http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...html#kilobytes for explanation of maths)
Old 07-08-2005, 19:50   #71
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

I shall wait and see, rather than speculate on something I know so little about.
Old 07-08-2005, 19:52   #72
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Incog wonders how many posts long this thread will finally be.Perhaps we should open a book on it?
Old 07-08-2005, 19:54   #73
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array

Quote:
Did any NTL workers here have any idea about this??

If so WHY DID YOU KEEP IT FROM US!!!

Seems a pretty big jump in speeds though? Can it be acheived on the network that has to cope with so many customers?

Chill out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
Incog wonders how many posts long this thread will finally be.Perhaps we should open a book on it?
I'm betting £20 on 700 posts, which includes the inevitable 400 "cap" posts.
Old 07-08-2005, 20:20   #74
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M
I'm betting £20 on 700 posts, which includes the inevitable 400 "cap" posts.
Only 400? Or did you mean 400 cap threads ???
Old 07-08-2005, 21:05   #75
Hans Gruber
cf.addict

Services: VM XL TV, Phone, 100mbit Internet.
Hans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshaq786
Heard of telewest trialling 10mb. Didn't even know ntl were already planning a launch. I suspect they will launch together. Wonder if it will be before or after a merger.
Remember this is NTL, announcing doesn't neccessarily mean it's anywhere near ready to offer the service. Apparently cable TV to the Mars space station is coming soon.
Closed Thread