Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 17:00   #46
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Re: Another speed increase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxodriver
Well all we have is random rumors then?
Well the link that you provided doesn't really give out the full details. It just said that there is going to be an announcement tomorrow, so anything else, like the caps, is just supposition.
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2005, 17:00   #47
Hans Gruber
cf.addict

Services: VM XL TV, Phone, 100mbit Internet.
Hans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition
3) Have you been reading the service status? Have a looksie at the weekly maintenance looooads of upgrading done locally, core network has loads of capacity spare.
Peterborough never seems to get a mention on that service status page. Do we still have plenty of bandwidth to go round?
Old 07-08-2005, 17:05   #48
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwig
Did any NTL workers here have any idea about this??

If so WHY DID YOU KEEP IT FROM US!!!
Old 07-08-2005, 17:08   #49
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marge

Just about sums it up

Old 07-08-2005, 17:16   #50
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

September will be here before we know it, August 7th and counting

As the "Bloke in the Pub" said, way back, the upgrade is intended to please everyone, LOL, a tall order.

"Bloke in the Pub" has just phoned, appears that this is just a stop gap, designed to increase revenue so that work can begin on updating the system to 100Mb/s Ethernet, as is already being rolled out in some areas of the US on trial. Of course, all this isn't being done for the primary benefit of the BB user, the aim is to have a massive VOD selection which ADSL cannot hope to come close to, TV is where the big money is going to come from in the future.
Old 07-08-2005, 17:20   #51
Earwig
Inactive

Services: 10MBIT, NTL Sky Digital
Earwig is on a distinguished roadEarwig is on a distinguished road

What is the minimum upload speed needed to sustain a 10Mbit line??

Are they likely to give us anymore than they need to?

I understand you guys may not be able to say to much but perhaps just a small vague hint??
Old 07-08-2005, 17:23   #52
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I understand you guys may not be able to say to much but perhaps just a small vague hint??
I bet you were the kind of child who climbed Mum and Dads wardrobe to find Christmas presents in November cos you just couldn't wait
Old 07-08-2005, 17:23   #53
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:

Haven't a Scooby Doo, BT are doing 512k on resi 8Mbit and 768k on business version.
Old 07-08-2005, 17:25   #54
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition
Kinda has to, couldn't get 10Mbit on 300k upstream
not sure what you mean by that? are you hinting that upload speed of 300 is also being increased? or are you just a big tease!
Old 07-08-2005, 17:29   #55
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Woo, thats some list. What I meant though, could this mean that ntl would be the biggest ISP in big speeds in the wooooorld (minus asia ).

I can just imagine conversations in months time 'What you got, Cable or ADSL?', 'ADSL mate', 'Awww, unlucky'
Old 07-08-2005, 17:33   #56
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

it looks like NTL are really turning the corner now - speed increases again and again.... constantly blowing ADSL/BT out of the water and also the £9.99 1mb offer - brilliant stuff. I have to take my hat off to them.
Old 07-08-2005, 17:44   #57
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Eeee, I remember the days when 512k was considered ntl's "top-tier" broadband

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 07-08-2005, 17:48   #58
etccarmageddon
Inactive

and I remember having a ZX81. bring back the good old days!
Old 07-08-2005, 17:53   #59
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:

It all depends on what the connection is being used for.

The main questions being what type of user is the 10mbps aimed at and what applications is it being provided for? I doubt that it is aimed at the p2p market trader. My bet is that it is aimed at video streaming applications.
Old 07-08-2005, 18:04   #60
Earwig
Inactive

Services: 10MBIT, NTL Sky Digital
Earwig is on a distinguished roadEarwig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@huth
It all depends on what the connection is being used for.

The main questions being what type of user is the 10mbps aimed at and what applications is it being provided for? I doubt that it is aimed at the p2p market trader. My bet is that it is aimed at video streaming applications.
Don't forget the Download movie rentals which are hopefully going to hit it off bigtime!!

I also heard somebody saying something about a P2P from BBC?? No idea what this is?

The point is though if you are downloading at 10Mbit you are gonna need alot more upstream to be able to communicate with wherever you are getting the data from? Am I right in thinking this?

Oh and one last thing.....

What is 10Mbit in KB/s?? 1,100KB/s??
Closed Thread