Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 14:40   #16
IanUK
Inactive

IanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really nice
Re: Another speed increase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanUK
Would be cool if there is an unlimited top package though !

Hell, chance, a, not, in. Rearrange.

On 10Mbit you could download 100GB a day, 3TB in a 30 day month, and you can pretty much guarantee some complete w***er would do just that to load up his market stall / just because he can.

Heh, yes I can see that, maybe unlimited is a pipedream, but lets hope reasonable limits prevail, something akin to UKOnlines (500 gig a month I think for their 8 meg service) or it won't be very cheap come the BBC's P2P service (I'm signed up to test it soon)

cheers

Ian
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2005, 14:51   #17
ntl customer
Inactive

Services: Weddings, christenings, barmitzvahs and funerals.
ntl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Give me.....300gb allowance and I'll kiss Goodlands feet, give me 30 and I'll jump on them. I remember reading something about speed increases to deaden the fall of the cap, I hope it not be a harsh one.
Yes, 10Mbit with 30Gb cap. Bit of a non starter, isn't it?

A high cap such as 500Gb would probably suit most users - after all who has the space to fill up a few hard drives every month?

Quote:
At the new speed, it will take eight seconds for a full CD of music from a service such as iTunes and only minuets for a whole feature film to download
Perhaps it's about time that iTunes et al ditched their horrible DRM infested low quality lossy downloads and started distributing high quality wave/aiff files? That'd be the day I start buying downloadable music.
Old 07-08-2005, 14:55   #18
bilal
Inactive

bilal is an unknown quantity at this point

well im on 2mb and have to say 10mbit with a 30gb cap is going to make me say bye to ntl. I cant see them leaving the cap at 30gb as they are increasing the speed 5 times. Logically the cap should be increased 5 times but as i cant see his happening i think it should at least be 100gb for the 2mb ppl.

A strange way to make a speed increase, everyone gets 10mbit but depending on how fair they are on the caps this could either make them loose a lot of business or gain a lot of business dont let us down ntl
Old 07-08-2005, 15:07   #19
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

When I saw that speed increases were afoot I did wonder how long it'd be before people here at CF started whining about them .....
Old 07-08-2005, 15:10   #20
cnewton2k
Inactive

Services: 100 Meg + Phone
cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to cnewton2k

how much truth is there in these rumours?

does anyone actually believe that everyone on 3 meg will be upgraded tomorrow for free
Old 07-08-2005, 15:14   #21
IanUK
Inactive

IanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really nice

I don't think we will be upgraded tomorrow (shame!) only that the announcement might be made (if the news story is true) - it will probably take months to implement.
Old 07-08-2005, 15:20   #22
cnewton2k
Inactive

cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light

i agree there, but if you look at the ntl serivce staus page they have just upgraded the broadband network throughtout the entire country, so maybe it could be possible.

I know they do need to do something to keep ahead, LLU is becoming more and more popular with ISP and as such they are now able to offer much higher speeds, and given the fact that BT is going to launch its 8 meg services in the next coming months, i think NTL will use this time to pip BT to the post
Old 07-08-2005, 15:36   #23
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Outside of Eastern Asia, is there any ISP that offers 10mbit or higher to 2m customers?
Old 07-08-2005, 15:41   #24
cnewton2k
Inactive

some in sweden i think
Old 07-08-2005, 15:52   #25
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwn
Outside of Eastern Asia, is there any ISP that offers 10mbit or higher to 2m customers?
Plenty that offer 10mbit:

http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se
http://www.cogeco.ca
http://www.optonline.net/
http://www.rcn.com
http://www.freenews.fr/idf.php?itemid=884
http://broadbandsales.optusnet.com.au/
http://www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome...ot/package.asp
http://www.chello.com/

Don't know about customer numbers though.
Old 07-08-2005, 15:53   #26
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanUK
I don't think we will be upgraded tomorrow (shame!) only that the announcement might be made (if the news story is true) - it will probably take months to implement.
Or "coming soon" as the old saying goes
Old 07-08-2005, 15:57   #27
SmellyKipper
Permanently Banned

Services: SKY + / NTL 3mb/NTL Phone
SmellyKipper can only hope to improve
Red face Re: Another speed increase?

The News of this Massive speed increase is welcomed by me

The only thing is i`m on 1mb, that means it`ll take me minutes to hit my 3gb Speed Cap

Looks like NTL have implemented the usage counters into their system to monitor what bandwidth is being used by which peson and so can now charge per mb/gb.

Hopefully there will be a good cap on 2mb and 3mb speeds, I can`t see them allowing 10mb but only 30 gig a month cap.
Old 07-08-2005, 16:01   #28
jellybaby
Inactive

Services: VM VIP50
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
Send a message via AIM to jellybaby Send a message via MSN to jellybaby

to CF Smellykipper
Old 07-08-2005, 16:01   #29
migz
Inactive

migz is an unknown quantity at this point

If its going to be anyhting like they have it in australia you pay a monthly fee for a Cap, you go over the cap you get "shaped" down to 128k
Old 07-08-2005, 16:04   #30
SmellyKipper
Permanently Banned

Services: SKY + / NTL 3mb/NTL Phone
SmellyKipper can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybaby
to CF Smellykipper
Cheers
Closed Thread